Subwave's Soil - Mix Outdoor Strains - Indoor Growing - 400W Journal 2011

subwaves

Hello everyone!
I have been reading a lot here and I think it is time to contribute.

This is my first grow. So I don't have much first hand experience.
Though, I am working in agricultural field, so I have some knowledge of how
plants live and die.

Strains:

Most of the seeds are from a weed that a friend who grows organic, outdoors gave me. (Below I posted some pictures of the plants) The place is north-aegean part of Turkey. I saved the best seeds from them. It is said the original strains are from Jamaica, India and Amsterdam. I think there are some local ones. They are all mixed of course but the potency of that weed was comparable enough to weed from Amsterdam. A friend of mine even said they are better than the dutch weed. People got lots of whities and puked after having smoked one or two joints. Anyways. I believe they are fine for experimentation. I had three seeds from Amsterdam. I think they are "Thai-Skunk". (The ones in the bright metal pots, one of them is in a plastic pot but I forgot which one.)

seeds39.jpg

All these seeds are from the outdoor grown mixed strains. They look like sativa seeds.
field1.jpg

This was the mj field. It was 8-9 months ago.
IMG_9561.jpg
IMG_9560.jpg
IMG_9555.jpg
IMG_9553.jpg
IMG_9552.jpg
IMG_9548.jpg
IMG_9546.jpg
IMG_9545.jpg
IMG_9543.jpg
IMG_9542.jpg

Yeah, the seeds are from these plants! Many different strains!
IMG_1284_Large_.JPG

Dried and Cured Stuff!

Soil:

I started the seeds in conventional ways 4 week ago. The soil I use in plastic pots is a regular potting soil without any special mixture. It is already mixed but I dunno what. Metal pots are filled with wood peat mixed with little bit of worm casting. I think the Ph meter I have is broken, It shows "Low". (Actually It does not measure below 3,5, It just says "Lo") Same thing for my outdoor garden. I don't think it is possible.

holes.jpg

I drilled holes for well aeration of the roots. I don't know if it is appropriate.

Light:

I use GE 400w MH for vegetation. I also added day light CFL bulbs for extra light. A total of 385w equivalent of CFL light is used. Since I could not find a way to put them close, they are not very efficient at the moment but I'll fix it later. I also bought a 400w Philips HPS but I don't have a spare ballast and fixture for that. The ballast I use is compatible with both MH and HPS but I decided to make a separate flowering room in the future so I am going to need another ballast.

IMG_21473.JPG

IMG_21592.JPG

The distance of bulb from plants

Room:

The room is not aircooled but the door is open and a fan is working constantly. The temperature I measured there was 19-20 celcius centigrades with humidity of 60-65 %. I did not encounter any pests there yet and I'll see about it.

Here are some photos of the actual setup:
IMG_21461.JPG
IMG_21576.JPG

IMG_21501.JPG

Fertilizer:

Today is the second week under 400w MH light. Before that, they were under CFL's and they didnt do very well. I thought they may need some food and I used half strenght of Bio-Canna (Bio-Vega). I also sprinkled a teaspoon of bat guano for each pot which is rich in Nitrogen and mixed with soil. I added half strenght of EM-1 Effective Microroganisms thingy. I use regularly Ocean Solution at full strength, a mineral concentration from ocean water. It is said to make the soil more alive and full of ionized nutrients. I used it intensively for everything and it does not hurt my plants at all. As for watering, first I overwatered them, now I am careful about it. I will not water them until the pot is light.

Finally, the summary is:

Bucket size: 1 gal.
Medium: Soil (Regular Potting Soil)
Lights: 400w MH and 385w equivalent of CFL
Fertilizers: Canna Bio-Vega, EM-1, Bat Guano, Worm Casting, Ocean Solution.
Strains: Mixed
# Plants: 14 at the moment

So far, the plants don't look very well, but comparing to 1 week ago, I think they are trying to keep it up. Due to proximity of the bulb, some of the plants have some burns on the tip of the leaves, so i raised the bulb a bit. Due to over watering, some leaves look droopy. I hope to fix this next week.

IMG_20212.JPG

1st contact with 400w MH (09 May 2011)

IMG_21704.JPG

1 week later (16 May 2011)

Jeez it takes some time to make a journal.
Hope to post again next week!
I hope you enjoy.

re: SubwaveS' Soil, Mix Outdoor Strains, Indoor Growing, 400w Journal 2011

What do you think of the holes on the pots?
Anyone ?

What do you think of the holes on the pots?
Anyone ?

They may benefit the root zone by providing more oxygen. The only concern I'd have is the water below the hole that will remain in the pot.

If root rot becomes a problem, you can try Hygrozyme to help devour bad bacteria or H2o2 to do the same (but kills good & bad bacterias), as well as add extra oxygen to the root zone

It is very similar to the "hempy" style of grow bucket, but the hole is only about 1.5 - 2 inches up from the bottom of the pot, and those few inches are filled with a breathable aggregate like large perlite, hydration, etc. It essentially acts like a passive hydroponic reservoir.

As to those outdoor pics... AMAZING!
I'm always amazed at how majestic cannabis looks in its natural environment (outside), yet it can look so engineered & high-tech in the indoor realm.

Welcome subwaves! I'm just getting ready to harvest my first indoor grow so I don't have that much experience. So maybe there will be others to give you better help and info but I would move the lights closer especially the cfl's and the 400 w I would move to within 24" and keep an eye out for burn. I would also try to get the humidity down to @ 45-50%.

My understanding is the more air to the roots is good. Not sure if your method is the best solution though. Seems that the water would flow out there and leave the rest without as much as you might think your getting to the bottom roots or that the soil below the holes may be dry and you probably know roots will seek the water source. Anyway awesome pics and wish you the best.

:peacetwo:

Thanks for your comments...
There are drainage holes at the bottom of the pots as well.
I drilled the side holes my self additionally.
There won't be water remaining at the bottom.
Now I read about root rot. I think the main cause is overwatering.
I'll be careful about it.

I will try to lower the lights next week. I am afraid of burning the leaf tips.
It occured when I first setup the MH lamp. There is a fan working constantly right now.
I will definitely lower the cfl's, even placing them between pots.
But I heard, the leaves should recieve the light from above not from the bottom.
Actually the height of the cfl's will be somewhat same as the leaves.

As for the outdoor pictures, those crops did raise the bar so high, I couldnt help but built my own growroom as I am gettin' really tired of dealers.

But, Guys, your growrooms are serious!

Thanks a lot for your help!

This is the beginning of the 3rd week.
Dutch seeds show themselves !
IMG_22377.JPG
IMG_22543.JPG

I lowered the lights...
I added regular strength humic+fulvic acid, and 5ml of bat guano for each pot.
I am using Canna Bio-vega with every watering. (Twice a week)
Foliar feeding with Ocean Solution occasionally.

Hope to hear your comments!

lower the lights even more, get Y splitters and add more CFL'S. Faster results...

Y splitter are cool but i couldn't find any. Still looking.
I will definitely add more CFL's soon.
I try to lower the MH lamp more. I am afraid of heat.
Thank you "im so rapid".

Y splitter are cool but i couldn't find any. Still looking.
I will definitely add more CFL's soon.
I try to lower the MH lamp more. I am afraid of heat.
Thank you "im so rapid".

Hi SW. Try Home Depot for the Y splitters. I use 2 600w MH in my grow and they have been kept at 18-24" since veg. and I never had a problem with burn. Another thing that you might consider is lowering the fan so the plants get a little more airflow.

:peacetwo:

The progress is steep but I think I have problem.
31st May (3 weeks of vegetation)
IMG_23905.JPG

IMG_23932.JPG

Males?
IMG_23984.JPG

IMG_24093.JPG

Do you think these are males ?
I didn't started to flower those but they are showing their sex early.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you think these are males ?

Sorry Sub, but those are male. Better luck next time. There are growers here (that are much more knowledgeable than me) that can direct you in how to make the best use of these. I'll check my subbed list and forward one. Best of luck. Keep us posted on the rest of your grow. Have you made anymore changes to your lighting or GR, etc.?

:peace:

Hi Sub. Check out KannabisKid he is a great source of info and may be able to help you try some very cool stuff.

The Kid's 2nd Grow - Continued
2nd Grow - Lowryder Purple Jems - Abandoned

Sorry the links aren't working but you can find them easily enough in the grow journals.:peace:

I am very sorry about it. I made an extensive research about how weed get male. There are lots of point of views but especially, Dutch Passion's guide to maximize females is very informing. No links sorry I just copied the text and forgot the links... I can send it to those who are interested.

I suspect, Ocean Solution is one of the causes. It has potassium in higher amounts than N and P. I gave them a lot via the foliage and the roots. No harm overall but I think there is excess potassium in the medium. I don't have anything that stresses the plants. I am going to use it during the flowering period. I have bat guano rich in N and P. I am going to use it as the main fertilizer. Canna Bio-Vega is a good one but it has potassium as well. I'll use it less.

As for the lights, I lowered it further. They do look happy with it. It seems like I go back to the beginning of the grow. The outdoor seeds doesn't grow as fast as the dutch ones. I transplanted them into new medium and hope to see an incline in their growth.

Well, I am really discouraged by the males coz they were the most significant ones. I think I'll take a trip to amsterdam to get seeds when I can. Or I'll just order the seeds online.

Thanks for your comments Macgyverup!

Hi bro,
Welcome back in Amsterdam then :)
Well I checked out the picts, really look a great setup. It must be done with guarenteed seeds it woud be better i think...
Light is everything and i realized that your lighs are a little bit far, plants love light. I expected ! So you did the right thing ...

I had problems with my seeds also, they grew up about 4 inches long i covered the root to protect them (sorry i have no pictures of them) but they already died becouse of lot water I think and os could be better in planting, thats right. Hope to see you soon.
Good luck!

Today I am happy!
Because I spotted 2 girls!
It has been exactly 30 days since the start.
Here is the overall progress. I removed the males but I think there is another one.
IMG_2495_Custom_.JPG

IMG_2516_Custom_.JPG

This is the only remaining dutch strain. I made LST on and It came out as male.
IMG_2456_Custom_.JPG

IMG_2447_Custom_.JPG

It was doing pretty good...
IMG_2483_Custom_.JPG

And I have no more dutch seeds.

This is the female:
IMG_2498_Custom_.JPG

IMG_2468_Custom_.JPG

IMG_2511_Custom_.JPG

The roots:
IMG_2436_Custom_.JPG

This one is the other one:
IMG_2504_Custom_.JPG

I hope I can maximize the yield by LST. I lost a lot of time and I have to get it back.

I don't know how they show their sex before switching to flowering phase.

Do you think this is normal ?
Are they going to bud even if I don't switch to 12/12 ?

Hi bro,
Welcome back in Amsterdam then :)
Well I checked out the picts, really look a great setup. It must be done with guarenteed seeds it woud be better i think...
Light is everything and i realized that your lighs are a little bit far, plants love light. I expected ! So you did the right thing ...

I had problems with my seeds also, they grew up about 4 inches long i covered the root to protect them (sorry i have no pictures of them) but they already died becouse of lot water I think and os could be better in planting, thats right. Hope to see you soon.
Good luck!

I am back home at the moment but I plan a trip there... I don't know when...

I should have guaranteed genetics. Today I found two females. Also I planted 8 more seeds. I expect them to grow in 1 month. I'll save clones out of them so that they can continue their existence...
What do you mean by os ?
Roots have to respire. That's why I drilled holes on the pots. I saw this airpots and smart pots thingies. I think I can make some pots out of mosquito nets.
The idea is very simple but effective.

See ya next time!

Today I received the seeds I ordered. The package wasn't stealth at all and I wonder how do they ship MJ seeds like that.
IMG_2522_Large_.JPG

IMG_2523_Large_.JPG

This pack was in a paper bag and that bag was in a bubble envelope. I have seen hidden seeds in the canals of cardboard or seen seeds hidden very well and I expected that way. I had chance I didnt have a bust.
I also sent emails to them for a stealth packaging... No Reply!
I also payed for 5 seeds but they did a favor to me and sent 10.
Maybe by mistake but I won't inform them about it.
I smoked G13xAmnesia in Dampkring CS in the Dam.
It was one of the best ever.
I hope I can have something similar to that with these seeds.
I actually ordered Dampkring Classics G13 x Amnesia Haze but
they sent it under kiwiseeds label which I couldnt find under their official website.
It has a small dampkring classics label printed, I dunno what is going on...

Thanks for reading...

Today I am happy!
Because I spotted 2 girls!

I hope I can maximize the yield by LST. I lost a lot of time and I have to get it back.

I don't know how they show their sex before switching to flowering phase.

Do you think this is normal ?
Are they going to bud even if I don't switch to 12/12 ?

Congrats on the girls, Sub! :bravo:

LST is very effective and IMHO causes the least stress on plant growth and development, while producing multiple large colas.

Check this out from 420 ed on sexing: Female Pre-Flowers and Flowering

Normal? Not sure about this question. There doesn't seem to be much "normal" when it comes to growing.:)

As far as budding without 12/12, IMHO they will, but the buds will take a loooong time to mature fully and reach their max potential, if at all. But I have never tried this.

:peace:

Hello there! Long time no see.
Here is a overview of the grow op.
Hope you like.

Week 6:
IMG_25271.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 7:
IMG_25953.JPG

Week 8:
IMG_26256.JPG

Week 9:
IMG_26553.JPG

This is actually the date I changed to flowering.
One of the mistakes I did in this grow: I suddenly changed the color of the light to red. As red light makes the plants stretch they kept stretching for 3 weeks or so.
Another one is: This is the week that G-13 plants were on their 4th week. As I read from the web this is the most critical time period for the determination of the sex. The more stress you put on, more males you get. Changing the light spectrum puts a lot of stress. So the 5 G-13 plants came out as male. No females. I also germinated some seeds that I got. 4 females came out of them. So I have no G-13 plants at the moment.

Week 10:
IMG_27842.JPG

I added 4 x 65w 2700k CFL's (I guess 4000 lumens each)
Introduced BioCanna Bio-Flores.

Week 11:
I forgot my camera
Started to use carob molasses. I now regularly use BioFlores

Week 12:
IMG_28401.JPG

Added EM-1 to process the molasses.

Week 13:
IMG_28412.JPG

Used too much molasses so I only give them water. Some of the plants were so long, I had to tie them down horizontally. I kind of LST but a bit of late.

Week 14:
IMG_29993.JPG

Added EM-1 again.

Here are some details:

-Additional Lights:
4 x 65W 2700k CFL's. I made the fixtures my self. I bought reflective aluminium sheeting and screwed to L shaped wood pieces.
IMG_27542.JPG

IMG_27491.JPG

-Late LST:

from bottom
IMG_30363.JPG

from side
IMG_30101.JPG

from top
IMG_29913.JPG

-I just couldn't resist! This is the bud I test-smoked:
It tasted like strawberry gum. It was so sweet. The high was very good but not quite there.
IMG_29894.JPG

-Some budshots:
DSCN3733.JPG

IMG_30643.JPG

IMG_30132.JPG

DSCN3687.JPG

Hope you like it!

Back
Top Bottom