Sueet's 1st: Indoor Bagseed In Soil

Sueet

Strain/percentages/sex completely unknown
in veg, germinated Feb.10,2020
Indoor
water only soil from detroit nutrient company + 15-20% vermiculite
started in 6" pots in coco/verm, moved up to 1 gal soil at 3 weeks
45w led grow light - Black magic brand

Hopefully by next weekend my room will be finished. At that point I will re-pot up to 15 gal and they'll be under 4x 3500k BudgetLED's 250 red spec

Right now, they're in my living room, so avg temp is probably 70ish degrees. But they're inside of a fish tank, with the light straddled approx 1 foot over them (to keep my nosey-butt cats out of them til we have a room with a door)

I do not know the ph

Pests - I am dealing with fungus gnats atm (they came in on a houseplant, and I have a LOT of house plants /sigh)- it is my plan to use peroxide(5%) on the soil surfaces of all my plants to kill any eggs, but I want to have these in their bigger pots first. Also considering using sand, as it is supposed to suffocate eggs, but I worry it might also suffocate roots? idk yet, it is not a 'big' problem - yet anyway

I water when the pots feel too light, and/or the meter says under 2 for all parts of the pot

not using ferts because the soil supposedly has all they need, shy of cal/mag it probably will need later - so far, they seem very happy with this soil

I did almost kill these poor things twice ... first under a too hot incandescent plant light (all I had at first) and then too much water, tho I caught it quick. (I had put a paper towel in the pot to keep the coco from falling out, it held a LOT of water, won't do that again :oops:)

# of plants
3 germinated Feb 10
1 germinated a couple-few weeks later (didn't note date, sorry)
1 germinated March 11- not pictured yet
so 5 total

Thanks for looking, and thanks for any advice!

I sort of loosely followed the journal template, please do let me know if I need to change anything.
My phone is old, sorry if the pics aren't the best

Thank you all for the encouragement. The room is going slower than I expected, however it will get finished! Someday! lol, hopefully this weekend, tho I said that last week so who knows. Having some trouble convincing my electrician that now is a good time to put plugs in for me, so I might have to do that myself >.> after this we just have to get the new plugs added, walls/ceiling (with support for the lights) put up, repaint, hang lights, repot plants and ... hopefully win.

I'm attaching pics of current progress. In the pics, you can see it was pretty bad to start, but right now it has two coats of floor paint, on top of roughly 3-5 coats of redgard waterproofer (I put more coats on the bottom 3-4 bricks area and the wall/floor edges). The excessive redgarding was mostly to use up the bucket so I can use it for something else, and the second coat of floor paint has an explanation in the pics :D

Thank you all for the encouragement. The room is going slower than I expected, however it will get finished! Someday! lol, hopefully this weekend, tho I said that last week so who knows. Having some trouble convincing my electrician that now is a good time to put plugs in for me, so I might have to do that myself >.> after this we just have to get the new plugs added, walls/ceiling (with support for the lights) put up, repaint, hang lights, repot plants and ... hopefully win.

I'm attaching pics of current progress. In the pics, you can see it was pretty bad to start, but right now it has two coats of floor paint, on top of roughly 3-5 coats of redgard waterproofer (I put more coats on the bottom 3-4 bricks area and the wall/floor edges). The excessive redgarding was mostly to use up the bucket so I can use it for something else, and the second coat of floor paint has an explanation in the pics :D

Not sure what part of the country you are in, but here in the NE, my basement floors get cold in the winter. Solution, put foam board insulation under your plants. I use tents, and I have pink foam board under each tent and under my bins of soil. :circle-of-love: :peace:

Plants are looking good and so is your new space. Nice work. You clearly know what you’re up to (so do your cats, by the sound of it). Good catch on the over watering. That’s a good lesson to have passed already.
Bring on the buds..
:morenutes:

Well, they are in the bigger pots under the good lights finally! (the three older ones) I am super excited to see how they respond. So far they dont even seem annoyed that I re-potted them in the middle of the night, let alone that their whole world got swapped out while they slept too.

I can't do much about ventilation right this moment, just have a small room heater and a small fan running, temp is staying around 73-74 degrees which is probably pretty close to what they had upstairs too.

Not sure what part of the country you are in, but here in the NE, my basement floors get cold in the winter. Solution, put foam board insulation under your plants. I use tents, and I have pink foam board under each tent and under my bins of soil. :circle-of-love: :peace:
I'm in USA, Michigan. I did worry about the floor being cold. I did consider the foam boards but home depot only carries them via the website now, and I didn't love that idea. I settled for a thick rug and risers between the drain tray and the pot, so they aren't sitting on the floor at all. If problems crop up, I'll go forward from there.

Plants are looking good and so is your new space. Nice work. You clearly know what you’re up to (so do your cats, by the sound of it). Good catch on the over watering. That’s a good lesson to have passed already.
Bring on the buds..
:morenutes:
Thank you, you are very kind. I have to tell you how wrong you are about me knowing what I'm doing but also how very right you are about the cats :love:

Sorry the plant pic isn't great, the lights are off and the fan is on, I'll get better pics in a week once they've had some time with the new space.

Well, they are in the bigger pots under the good lights finally! (the three older ones) I am super excited to see how they respond. So far they dont even seem annoyed that I re-potted them in the middle of the night, let alone that their whole world got swapped out while they slept too.

I can't do much about ventilation right this moment, just have a small room heater and a small fan running, temp is staying around 73-74 degrees which is probably pretty close to what they had upstairs too.

I'm in USA, Michigan. I did worry about the floor being cold. I did consider the foam boards but home depot only carries them via the website now, and I didn't love that idea. I settled for a thick rug and risers between the drain tray and the pot, so they aren't sitting on the floor at all. If problems crop up, I'll go forward from there.

Thank you, you are very kind. I have to tell you how wrong you are about me knowing what I'm doing but also how very right you are about the cats :love:

Sorry the plant pic isn't great, the lights are off and the fan is on, I'll get better pics in a week once they've had some time with the new space.

Looking really good! Keep up the great work.

Looking really good! Keep up the great work.
So, funny story ... well to me anyhow ...
My daughter said to me last night "I'm never going in that room, it is blinding me thru the cracks around the door" I giggled and said that's fine, you don't have any biz in there anyway.

But then, I had a dream about that conversation...strange right? And then I realized what my brain was telling me ... The room wasn't actually that bright, while I was in it, which is why I laughed at my kid. BUT my brain said, those lights have dimmers on them...

Oh yes, I definitely need the fancy protective goggles I bought now. Oh my goodness. Will check the plants again in a few hours to make sure I didn't just do a bad thing by turning them all the way up.

Awesome looking setup AND room project! I'm excited for you. Another thing you can do to minimize the cold floor is get some of the rubber gym floor mats. They are not better than the foam but can help in the meantime. :goodluck:

So, funny story ... well to me anyhow ...
My daughter said to me last night "I'm never going in that room, it is blinding me thru the cracks around the door" I giggled and said that's fine, you don't have any biz in there anyway.

But then, I had a dream about that conversation...strange right? And then I realized what my brain was telling me ... The room wasn't actually that bright, while I was in it, which is why I laughed at my kid. BUT my brain said, those lights have dimmers on them...

Oh yes, I definitely need the fancy protective goggles I bought now. Oh my goodness. Will check the plants again in a few hours to make sure I didn't just do a bad thing by turning them all the way up.
Haha yes they are bright and eye protection is highly recommended when around them.

I know from personal experience. I have been blinded way too any times. .

So far they seem pretty happy with their new pots and lights, they've grown quite a bit. Sorry I know I'm not supposed to take pics with the lights on, but my pics came out very bad with the lights off. This pic is one week since they got moved into the big pots /room.

eta: The plant at the back corner is shorter... because it apparently 'topped' itself. (that's my way of saying I have zero idea why that top 'bud only' just died off) I noticed it late the first night after I transplanted them, it was dried up and gone already, I thought maybe one of the little gnats I'm fighting? Idk, couldn't have been a cat, since there was no other damage, so /shrug..... its still happily growing otherwise tho, I just have that light down a bit lower.

Back
Top Bottom