Suggested strains for hot dry climate?

Lusi

Hi everyone,

I wasn't satisfied with any of my current strains and just threw them out. Now I have to hustle and get some new seeds going! If anyone has suggestions for strains that thrive in this hot dry CA climate with cool nights, LMK. I'm looking for Indicas, strains that are potent and will put me to sleep and kill pain. Sleep is the priority since when I'm asleep, I don't feel pain. :cheesygrinsmiley:I don't want dense colas since these encourage mold when the rains start. I just bought whatever sounded good last year, so hopefully this approach is better. Lol

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Lusi

Perhaps u want to try an indica dominate hybrid. Indicas tend to be shorter plants with leafy, dense colas/buds. If I remember correctly I believe a strain called Critical Mass does well in high temps. I think that was the name. I remeber it starts with a "C". U may wanna check out the "Big Book Of Buds" series. It covers a variety of strains. I've seen Alaskan Thunderfuck do well in an arid and windy region in NorCal. A strain I've seen do well in a similar climate that fits what ur looking for is Grand Daddy Purple.

Hi Bay area! It's great to hear from someone in my area. :) Blast it for timing, I just caved in and ordered a pile of seeds from single seed the other day! It was all guessing.... dr feel good, Satori, medibomb #1, hash bomb, spiritual punk, afghan-Kush Yumbolt, and Ortega Indica. I only hope all these are good outside. When are you able to put plants in the ground in this area? How late? If not all these germinate, I might be able to order again. I found Critical Mass there. There's no description of the effect and it is vulnerable to mold, but it finishes early enough so that doesn't matter. I see there is an auto flowering version too! I wish I'd got this earlier, this strain is soooooo much cheaper than the ones I ordered! :( $100 for 7 seeds is a crime!

I've heard of Alaskan thunderfuck, but single seeds doesn't have it. I'll hunt it down next year! I see the big book of buds is a free PDF. What a monster! I know where to look next order. Thanks!! :))) Here I thought my big book of medicinal herbs was overwhelming.... Just how many strains are there now, good heavens! :whoa:

In general, what characteristics make a plant do well in heat? Are the bushy Indicas any better than Sativas or hybrids? I don't care about yield, just a healthy plant. :) Do you thin out the branches on your Indicas, or Top them? Do I need to put any shade netting over these? During the day in direct sun, most of my veggies just wilted and look dead, until the evening. Potted plants boil in the pots or dry out in a few hours ... Some of my pot plants just didn't thrive either, like white skunk and bubba Kush. I'd hate to live further South! Lol

:thanks:

Lusi

In general, what characteristics make a plant do well in heat? Are the bushy Indicas any better than Sativas or hybrids? I don't care about yield, just a healthy plant. :) Do you thin out the branches on your Indicas, or Top them? Do I need to put any shade netting over these? During the day in direct sun, most of my veggies just wilted and look dead, until the evening. Potted plants boil in the pots or dry out in a few hours ... Some of my pot plants just didn't thrive either, like white skunk and bubba Kush. I'd hate to live further South! Lol

:thanks:
Lusi

Selecting Sativa or indica to grow or smoke has to do with need and personal preference. Typically indicas are easier to grow, with a shorter growing cycle and propensity to accept stronger doses of nutrients. I've gone outdoors once in The Bay as an experiment and it was in June I believe. As far as what strains do well in heat depends a lot on genetics. Research the parentage of the strain and if it came from an Afghan background, chances are it does well in the heat. Look for strains that grow well or were bred for a Mediteranian climate, that sums up the Bay's climate. Hope this helps some.

Thanks, that helps! My seed descriptions don't all say the genetics, but two of them have Afghan for sure. :) I hope that info will be in the big bug book. I noticed you can search seed banks for White strains, but don't know why it would matter. Too bad there isn't a search for Afghan strains too. Lol Great to hear I can still plant in June. I put them lut in April last year and they went into bloom. (oops) That gives a chance for a second order. :))

I'm glad to hear Indicas are easier to grow, it's what I need. Reading through the strains, they make it sound like some of the hybrids are easier to grow too and more resistant to mold and pests. I bought 3 hybrids Indicas Dom, one Sativa and three pure Indica. It will be interesting... I see I messed up with Ortega Indica as it flowers really late into October. :( Is there any advantage to auto flowering strains outdoors? I don't get why you'd want one indoors since you control the bloom time with light.

This round, I'll pay more attention to bloodlines and now each one does in this climate. I also heard Afghan strains are good for pain... Sounds like a winner!

Thanks for the advice! :thanks:

Lusi

Selecting Sativa or indica to grow or smoke has to do with need and personal preference. Typically indicas are easier to grow, with a shorter growing cycle and propensity to accept stronger doses of nutrients. I've gone outdoors once in The Bay as an experiment and it was in June I believe. As far as what strains do well in heat depends a lot on genetics. Research the parentage of the strain and if it came from an Afghan background, chances are it does well in the heat. Look for strains that grow well or were bred for a Mediteranian climate, that sums up the Bay's climate. Hope this helps some.

Hi everyone,

I wasn't satisfied with any of my current strains and just threw them out. Now I have to hustle and get some new seeds going! If anyone has suggestions for strains that thrive in this hot dry CA climate with cool nights, LMK. I'm looking for Indicas, strains that are potent and will put me to sleep and kill pain. Sleep is the priority since when I'm asleep, I don't feel pain. :cheesygrinsmiley:I don't want dense colas since these encourage mold when the rains start. I just bought whatever sounded good last year, so hopefully this approach is better. Lol

Does anyone have any suggestions?
%
Thanks!!

Lusi
I live in SOCAL in the rurals of Ramona and I've had great success with Harle-Tsu, Kryptonite and 24K. We are at an elevation of 1800 and the summer temps average in the 90's to 105°, humidity anywhere between 10% to over 50%. My Harle-Tsu are between 6 1/2 '-7'+ tall. It's the middle of August and they haven't budded yet, but last year the couple I had only got to 3'- 4' and they were crazy with buds. One of my Kryptonite started budding last week and is pretty loaded. She is my 5' girl with her sister standing at 6'. Their brother I pulled out last week was over 6' and had huge leaves; one of which was 10" long with 10 leaflets. I use the leaves of my plants to help with pain and keep my IBS under control. It's the best thing I have found.

Attachments

• KRYPTONITE MALE LEAF.jpg
    KRYPTONITE MALE LEAF.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 245
100 degree, 10% humidity, 5000 ft elevation, northern Nevada high desert, bubba kush, purple kush 60% shade cloth, light water daily )(

Back
Top Bottom