Sukafr33's Second Indoor Soil Grow

Unfortunately I don't have a grow journal up. I'm completely new to growing and am still reading every day about it, learning loads of stuff from grow journals like this one. I just started messing around with some tomato plants I germ'd. Anyways I'll likely go with cfl's when I grow for the first time. I noticed your first grow was all cfl, do you have any advice as to how much cfl light I will need if I plan on growing 1-2 plants to 3-3 1/2 feet max?

thats cool, i think its better to study what your doin and get everything you need and then plan out what you wanna do to have a complete successful grow.. with my first grow, the one that i did outside,i dont have a journal of it but i didn't know anything, i just stuck a pot outside with a seed in it and grew like a champ, all i did was water it and stuck it in the sun, and i used all miracle grow products, and i just let it go, and it turned out real nice, got pics of it in my pic gallery, and thats when i started studying, and anybody that tells you MG doesnt work must of never tried it, and with the lights if your only gonna grow 2 plants i think you it would be good to use like 4 cfls that way they get plenty of light. but i think the more the merrier, and i read that the cfls that i have, ones that are 3300k(spectrum) are good for the whole grow and you can see that they do a damn good job, so that way you dont have to switch for vegging and flowering you can just use the same bulbs.. just my opinion.soheres a thread that can hopefully help you out with with this..
.CFL Light Tutorial
let me know what you think.. :tokin:

The girls look great Suka, sometimes you just have to thin the herd.

Unfortunately I don't have a grow journal up. I'm completely new to growing and am still reading every day about it, learning loads of stuff from grow journals like this one. I just started messing around with some tomato plants I germ'd. Anyways I'll likely go with cfl's when I grow for the first time. I noticed your first grow was all cfl, do you have any advice as to how much cfl light I will need if I plan on growing 1-2 plants to 3-3 1/2 feet max?

I'll take a crack at this although nobody asked me lol.... imo you want to have somewhere in the range of 6-8 26w cfls for each plant that size. It may seem like a lot but the light doesn't penetrate well and you need a bunch of lights as close to the buds as possible.

Since you're just starting out I'll give you the advice I wish someone had given me... take a good look at 400W & 600W HID lighting, you can get a nice 400W hps from HTG supply for around $150 delivered. You could grow 2-4 plants under one of those lights although you may still want to add some cfl's around the perimeter.

Unless you have good lighting you're just hurting yourself by growing taller plants. Keep them as short as you can, either by cloning or lst'ing. The name of the game is getting light to the bud sites.

Good luck!

thats not always true though because i have 8 cfls on 4 plants 6 at the most and they do a damn good job, and i grow mines to about 2-3 feet, and i dont have any around the perimeter.. thats just my opinion though, and im not at all a pro at this, and if you dont have alot of money its best to go with cfls but if you have the money i would definitely go with the better stuff like hes talkin about.. but you can make an easy cfl fixture for really cheap.. if your like me i buy the best cheap stuff i can find that does the same job the good stuff would do.. but like i said thats my opinion.. :tokin:

Fr33, the plants are looking great. Good job posting the diagrams.
Greybeard, I agree with both free and Bluedog. I think you can grow with ANY light. I started with 3 13watt cfl's. The plants grew fine. But if I didnt add some serious light I doubt they would have produced much. Now I have about 15-18 26w cfl's on them. The cfl's aren't strong enough to penetrate but if you get enough of them close enough you can grow some really nice plants. LST is a great way to open your plants to the light. My best suggestion to you would be start a seed, take a pic and start a journal. these guys will guide you through the rest. Good luck and happy growing.

i couldn't have said it any better myself, but on another note i have a major problem and its got me heated, so i took my cab apart and cleaned it and organized everything looks good i was happy about it and everything, while i was doin that i had the plants outback takin up some of the beautiful sun, well before i brang them back in the house i took the Rose Rx to it and gave them a good soakin, i let them sit outside for awhile longer to dry out alittle bit, went back outside like and hour later and all the leaves on the plants are droopin bad as shit, so i bring them in and put'em in the cab, checked on them alittle bit ago and still seen a thrip on there, but on the spray it says it kills everything, NOT SO 3 IN 1 IS IT, makes me wanna write the company and tell them their product is garbage.. hopefully by tomorrow morning they will have had some time to get back to normal, if not i dont know what im gonna do..so we'll see what happens, fingers crossed...

well the reason i went out there and got them, because it started down pouring, not to where it would hurt them though, and then i took them in the shed and sprayed them..and like i said i let them sit out there for alittle bit and then when i went out to get them they were droopin, but the were droopin before i sprayed them...

well the reason i went out there and got them, because it started down pouring, not to where it would hurt them though, and then i took them in the shed and sprayed them..and like i said i let them sit out there for alittle bit and then when i went out to get them they were droopin, but the were droopin before i sprayed them...

What did you spray them with? Had you watered them before putting them outside?

:Namaste:

no i didn't water them before i put them out there cause they didn't need it, plus they were fine before i sprayed them, and at this point they had been sittin out there for like 2 hours and they were fine all the way up until i sprayed, then when i came back out to get them they were droopy as hell,,, BUT i have some good news, woke up this morning and opened the cab and they were pretty much back to normal, besides the fact that i still see a thrip once in awhile, but you can tell it worked cause you can see thrips that are like a empty shell almost, cause i think the pyrethum in the spray is what eats them from the inside out.. but i still wanna look into gettin another kind of pest control, i'll have to go to my local grow shop and see what they reccomend, maybe until then i can read the grow bible and find a home remedy that'll work for these little bastards... let me know what your guys' opinions are on pest control shit.. and if you could rate my journal for me i would definitely appreciate it, thanks..

Yo Sukka!

Sorry it took me so long to come check out whats going on over here and I gatta say its some pretty cool ish that i've seen so far. I like the LST'ing your doing but I must ask, have you transplanted into a larger bucket/planning on transplanting into one? From what i've heard is that transplanting is extremely important when it comes to container grows like yours and my Gen 1 cycle. Also just curious, have you found your females yet? Can't wait to do this myself and find out the damage i.e-how many plants turned out to be male and had to be killed? Cuz im assuming your doing what im doing and trying to find the best female of the group to be your mother plant?
Also what strain are those? They look pleasantly indica. Good job dude keep those babies green!
((((HYDROLOGIST))))

All i know as a home remedy is soap water spray. Not sure how effective it is against trips. Neem oil spray is another good one too.

well you know what this Rose Rx is pretty good now that i seen what it does, yea it makes the plants droop afterwards but it kills everything, and they been diein for 2 days now, i keep findin adult thrips dead at the bottom of the cab.. so i've gottin over the fact that the spray makes them droop since they do such a good job of killin them little basterds,

I've been real lucky (fingers crossed) and haven't had any pest issues. If we are growing inside where are the pest coming from?

Yo Sukka!

Sorry it took me so long to come check out whats going on over here and I gatta say its some pretty cool ish that i've seen so far. I like the LST'ing your doing but I must ask, have you transplanted into a larger bucket/planning on transplanting into one? From what i've heard is that transplanting is extremely important when it comes to container grows like yours and my Gen 1 cycle. Also just curious, have you found your females yet? Can't wait to do this myself and find out the damage i.e-how many plants turned out to be male and had to be killed? Cuz im assuming your doing what im doing and trying to find the best female of the group to be your mother plant?
Also what strain are those? They look pleasantly indica. Good job dude keep those babies green!
((((HYDROLOGIST))))

thanks guys, and you know what im glad you asked about transplanting into a bigger pot because i thought the same thing today and went out and baught some 8inch red plastic pots that match the smaller ones, got'em from the same place, so i'll prolly give them about another week or so and then transplant them, or like you said maybe i'll wait until i get a female and make it a mother and do it that way, that way i dont waste all my soil and then findin out its a male, i'll be pissed, so maybe i'll wait to see what i have first, i got pics of them that i'll be postin after this. and thanks for joinin me, i appreciate it.. :tokin:

Spraying stuff on your plants always made me nervous but like you...it did more good than harm!

Glad to see it worked out bro...what skillz you've acquired bro...:thumb:

:Namaste:

I've been real lucky (fingers crossed) and haven't had any pest issues. If we are growing inside where are the pest coming from?

1 - infested clones

2 - pets

3 - you or someone else brings bugs in on your clothes

4 - soil will often have gnats or other bugs, it's good to cook it if possible before you bring it in, including bagged soil you just bought

5 - bringing in other plants, even regular house plants can be carriers

6 - bugs just sneak in somehow or other... I've always got some bugs in my house and the grow rooms but nothing serious so far

1 - infested clones

2 - pets

3 - you or someone else brings bugs in on your clothes

4 - soil will often have gnats or other bugs, it's good to cook it if possible before you bring it in, including bagged soil you just bought

5 - bringing in other plants, even regular house plants can be carriers

6 - bugs just sneak in somehow or other... I've always got some bugs in my house and the grow rooms but nothing serious so far

Damn, I guess I cant ask my pest control company to come and spray either.

"Hello pest control, yes Im having a problem and I need just my closet sprayed. But you gotta keep your eyes closed while you do it.ok"?
yeah I guess that wouldn't be the smartest idea. :tokin:

Damn, I guess I cant ask my pest control company to come and spray either.

"Hello pest control, yes Im having a problem and I need just my closet sprayed. But you gotta keep your eyes closed while you do it.ok"?
yeah I guess that wouldn't be the smartest idea. :tokin:

Haha bet you didn't know you'd become a world-class bug exterminator when you took up this hobby! Hopefully that's a road neither of us needs to go down, but if we have problems there are many experts on hand.

I just try and be careful, if I'm outside I try to brush myself off a bit before I go in there, I try real hard to keep the cat out, and I use the cheapo sticky flypaper strips in the grow rooms. They work great, and it's fun watching bugs land on them and never leave :woohoo:

I have some no pest strips but I don't really trust them so I'll only open them if I need some heavy artillery. They release something that some people react strongly to, and I just don't want that on my plants if I can help it.

If you want to see arguments that make defoliation seem tame google 'no pest strips' :)

Back
Top Bottom