sulfur and magnesium

I did some googling on the subject. I see some suggestions stating 2tsp/gal... but I really have no experience or knowledge in the area. If I were to try this, I'd start with a low percentage and work my way up.

Of course, actual nutes seem better. Most nutrient packages contain a much better mix than the salt would be. I might consider fixing a deficiency of some sort, but it seems like a poor main source for a nutrient program.

Cheers!

I was reading a box of epsom and it says you can use it for fert.

How true is this?

It says its a supply of sulfur and magnesium. Is this only for sick plants? can I use it on ms marry jane?
Most use it when their plants show a magnesium def but yes you could use it in conjunction with your nutrient regime. I'd use it at about 1 teaspoon per gallon of solution. Watch your PPM because salts raise yout TDS readings very easily and quickly and you don't want to create lock out or burn your ladies.

I use epsom salt as one of my primary nutrients. But I have the agro highly soluble grade. If you ever do decide to use it you need to make sure it is labeled Heptahydrate, chemically known as MgSO4·7H2O.

Tead: Fertilizer Salts aren't for the poor man. They are for growers who are looking to optimize their nutrient formation.

cool so if i wanted to use it i need to use a meter to watch my levels and it would be benificial?
Not necessarily. There are a lot of factors when determining if and how much MgSO4 you should be using. First off if you are using soft or hard water, then you use little if at all of the Epsom Salt. The second point is aside from the water, their are Mg++ and SO4- ions in your nutrient solutions. You need to determine the exact amount of these elements in your bottles before determining what else you need to use (hence the guaranteed analysis label).
For example: My water PPM is 240. The bulk of it is comprised of S(~46ppm),Ca(~36ppm),Mg(~16ppm),Cl(~56ppm), etc. etc. These details can be found in your water quality report for your county. Now some of you might ask why would I care what individual amounts are in the water? Well the plant works off of a balance of all the elements, and if you are using for example and A and B solution that contains too much Calcium or Magnesium nitrate (or any other Mg and Ca reagent) in conjunction with the ions already in the water, then you are certainly bound to collide with imbalances. This is why most people suggest "RO".
Unless you are using RO water, people need to shop for nutrients according to their cities water, not according to which nutrients worked in the past for other people.

Back
Top Bottom