Sulfur deficiency

well... these buckets are 5 gal, and they sit in the net pots so I have to fill up 9x plant buckets (5gal each) and a control bucket.

otherwise i would have to put something into that empty space at the bottom of the buckets but I believe the roots should fill it up
Hang on a second here mate I'm confused now lol. Is this a recirculating drip feed system you've got there. Like a big Wilma type thing?

scrub, what light is that?

You cant use 1000PPM of nutes if your light isnt 1000watts, and week 5 of flower,
The nutes on the bottles, ALL BOTTLES, usually are based on a 6x6 with 10 plants, and a 1000W hps

If your light is 500watts, you shouldnt be using more then 750PPMs a week thru flower,

just wanted to give an update.

Glad I followed the hydro store owner's advice because reducing my ppm would have only made the deficiency worse.

My problem was not watering enough at once a day. Even with this mass of rockwool they required at least 2 waterings a day. The problem didn't appear sooner because the larger mass of RW gives the plant a large moisture buffer before showing stress.

I'm back down to feeding the plants at 900 PPM except this time I'm feeding twice a day. Colours look vibrant green and dark green.

I'm happy that I used this huge mass of rockwool because everyone that looks at my plants says they are huge for 5 weeks of veg growth but maybe they are being nice... How much taller are they gonna get?

The huge reservoir isn't a big deal I just bought 10L x2 of Dutch Nutrient GRO-A & B for 120 canadian pesos! That will let me feed for 1 week @ $10..... no sweat...... that's with 2000ppm EC as per DN mixing instructions. If my rockwool mass gives me even 25% yield more than without it then I'd say it's well worth it for the $150 Canadian pesos I paid for it (hugo and gro-chunks).

This was a great panicked learning experience as it let me learn about nutrients, pH and nutrient uptake.

I don't see how faster shifts in pH is beneficial as it only increases your chances of error....... I want to set it and forget it (I work 40+hrs a week in the office and don't have the luxury to check the pH every morning. 5.8-6.1 is really the magical sweet spot and above or below around that causes problems with excess I don't know why I was so adamant about 6.09 - technaflora nutrients company and some forums posts from 2012 led me down the wrong path. Growing these plants and reading other people's bro science is really fun.

My analysis at the end of the day:

It was a sulfur deficiency
caused by low watering

I noticed the plants show distress by moving their stems around wildly when they are thirsty and after you feed them, the movement stops and growth spurts happen @ 25C - medium humidity.

My little system almost killed my plants yesterday. You will see in the timelapse that at some point my thermometer drops (poorly placed on a wire) and my system stops venting if the temps fall below 24C. So the thermometer fell, and it was a chilly evening like 18C, all the cold air rushing in from the bottom give the thermometer low readings, meanwhile the LEDs are not being exhausted. My computer controlling this is in the tent zippy tied in a corner overheats, crashes but the lights stay on and vents stay off.

By some divine intervention I found the zippy tie pack in the living room so I could finally tie that camera in the tent down so I go upstairs, when I opened it and it felt like a sauna at least like 50 or 60C. It made my heart sink when that heat hit my face. I scrambled and panicked turned everything off, vented. I was so lucky they must not have been like that longer than 5 mins. you can see their leaf tips curl when this happened. I'm not religious but whatever divine power saved my crop I am so thankful.

Back
Top Bottom