Sulfur smell from RO water?

Maer,
Your RO water should have no smell and be very close to 0 ppms. Does your source water have a sulfur smell? When is the last time you changed your carbon filters? How about the RO membrane, how many gallons have you pushed through it, or how old is it?

RO systems require periodic filter and membrane changes. They also work more efficiently with higher water pressure against the membrane.

It's a good idea to aerate your RO water even if it doesn't have any smell, it has very little O2 dissolved in solution as it comes through the system. The bubbling will help to oxidize any organic solids that may be giving off the smell.

I just installed it a few weeks back, I would say less than 100 gallons have been filtered. Shortly after installing the town flushed the water mains, I am thinking maybe the heavy sediment f'ed up my filter. I think replacement filters, 5 of them will cost almost as much as the system did.

I hate it when the city back flushes the system, they are supposed to notify you when they do. I would just replace (or back flush) the sediment filter and the carbon pre-filter and see how it performs.

Did your tap water smell after they flushed? I am considering installing a whole house sediment and carbon filter system because our tap water is terrible (380 ppm).

Do you have LA city water? I do and my ppm is 120 going into the RO and 5 to 10 coming out. The funny thing is that our house has a water softener and the output is 250! I called the water guy and he said the softener removed the calcium that screws up the soaping and rinse ability and replaced it with sodium or potassium depending on which salt you use. You feel the difference even though the water actually has more PPM. That's why soft water and RO water need calcium and magnesium supplements for flowering, or so I am told.

Do you have LA city water? I do and my ppm is 120 going into the RO and 5 to 10 coming out. The funny thing is that our house has a water softener and the output is 250! I called the water guy and he said the softener removed the calcium that screws up the soaping and rinse ability and replaced it with sodium or potassium depending on which salt you use. You feel the difference even though the water actually has more PPM. That's why soft water and RO water need calcium and magnesium supplements for flowering, or so I am told.

You're absolutely right, you're just exchanging ions, one salt for another. Either way RO water will need to have a Cal-Mag supplement. Soft water is not as friendly to your plants as hard water though. Some places sell an artesian post filter for the RO that replaces trace minerals, might be an option to help out the plants?

Back
Top Bottom