Sup peeps, I have DWC problems

pliskin914

420 Member
new to the boards, new to dwc and facing all new problems and it's driving me up the wall; any and all help is thoroughly welcome. im on week 4 of veg and im using this handy dandy feed schedule using GH flora + calimag + rapid start (General Hydroponics DWC Nutrient Calculator - GrowDoctor Guides) my res ppm is 1200, tap water ppm 250, water is ~1in above the bottom of the 6in pot my ph is 5.8-6.3, res temp is 65, room temp 67 and rh 55%.BUT yet my girls are BLUSH green, curling downwards, and some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow. no root rot to speak of, im running a sterile grow. im out of ideas...

Welcome to the forum @pliskin914 :welcome:

new to the boards, new to dwc and facing all new problems and it's driving me up the wall; any and all help is thoroughly welcome. im on week 4 of veg and im using this handy dandy feed schedule using GH flora + calimag + rapid start (General Hydroponics DWC Nutrient Calculator - GrowDoctor Guides) my res ppm is 1200, tap water ppm 250, water is ~1in above the bottom of the 6in pot my ph is 5.8-6.3, res temp is 65, room temp 67 and rh 55%.BUT yet my girls are BLUSH green, curling downwards, and some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow. no root rot to speak of, im running a sterile grow. im out of ideas...
The water should just splash the roots, you're drowning them...I'd turn blue too :rofl: ...and try lowering your PH to 5.5 to 5.8......6.3 is my PH for soil :thumb::goodluck:

Nutrient_Chart2.gif

@pliskin914 welcome aboard.

Wow your using tap water? 1 problem

You should really think about using RO water.

I would advise you to not use that chart from GH your ladies.

At week four of veg your ppm's should be about 400 or so.

I use only 250 ppm's cal-mag first 4 weeks of veg.

Show some images and tell us about your setup and we will get you to harvest.

Tok..
for the amount im going for tap water is ok (tap water is 250ppm at all times). set up wise the res is a black 15 gallon tote and the lid has been sprayed white up top and black inside, 4 airstone per tote with a 15l hydrofarm pump. im using gh rapid start as a root developer. pics incoming with the conditions of the girls

essentially then 2 to 4 in below the pot and lower the ph. my last concern is the ppm. do you think it is ok or too high? and thanks dude, i am anxious
I kept mine at 1 to 2 inches below, but had a good air stone...I don't do hydro any more, I can get ya going but someone like @Tokin Roll or @Rexer could probably shed more light on the problems :thumb: :passitleft::goodluck:

new to the boards, new to dwc and facing all new problems and it's driving me up the wall; any and all help is thoroughly welcome. im on week 4 of veg and im using this handy dandy feed schedule using GH flora + calimag + rapid start (General Hydroponics DWC Nutrient Calculator - GrowDoctor Guides) my res ppm is 1200, tap water ppm 250, water is ~1in above the bottom of the 6in pot my ph is 5.8-6.3, res temp is 65, room temp 67 and rh 55%.BUT yet my girls are BLUSH green, curling downwards, and some of the bottom leaves are turning yellow. no root rot to speak of, im running a sterile
Yup, you need to lower the water/res level.
PH should be aimed for 5.8 (General consensus i think), though i do 5.7 all the time)....but allow it to drift to 6.5 before using PH down (if you need to).

I found out (or was reminded) not too long ago about a product from general hydroponics that is for hardwater, might be something to consider if you can't afford to go RO immediately. Long term wise with your water hardness it's something you should consider for hydro (RO). I'm not saying it can't be done with your water, just a bit harder of a learning curve.
City tap water in a sterile res can be done. Many don't like to, but it depends on your local water. Right now my tap water is around 50PPM on average. Never had problems, but I also live where the water is good enough. I'll be moving to well water soon, then I'll be in the same boat.

I'll attach a handy chart as well. It's not a solve all, and there are the rare times where it leads to more confusion, so bear that in mind. But it helps a new grower a lot for understanding what to do PPM wise.
Pics will help, and if the plants are handling the PPM, then don't worry. If it's too high, the roots will leach nutrients back into the water, causing a rise in PPM. See chart.

If you want, you should start up a grow journal, it'll help you along the way. I'm no pro, but feel free to tag me anytime (doesn't bother me the slightest my friend).
211620.jpg

20201011_161054.jpg

Yup, you need to lower the water/res level.
PH should be aimed for 5.8 (General consensus i think), though i do 5.7 all the time)....but allow it to drift to 6.5 before using PH down (if you need to).

I found out (or was reminded) not too long ago about a product from general hydroponics that is for hardwater, might be something to consider if you can't afford to go RO immediately. Long term wise with your water hardness it's something you should consider for hydro (RO). I'm not saying it can't be done with your water, just a bit harder of a learning curve.
City tap water in a sterile res can be done. Many don't like to, but it depends on your local water. Right now my tap water is around 50PPM on average. Never had problems, but I also live where the water is good enough. I'll be moving to well water soon, then I'll be in the same boat.

I'll attach a handy chart as well. It's not a solve all, and there are the rare times where it leads to more confusion, so bear that in mind. But it helps a new grower a lot for understanding what to do PPM wise.
Pics will help, and if the plants are handling the PPM, then don't worry. If it's too high, the roots will leach nutrients back into the water, causing a rise in PPM. See chart.

If you want, you should start up a grow journal, it'll help you along the way. I'm no pro, but feel free to tag me anytime (doesn't bother me the slightest my friend).
211620.jpg

20201011_161054.jpg

IMG_20210126_000311668.jpg

IMG_20210126_000315486.jpg

IMG_20210126_000319758.jpg

IMG_20210126_000337811_HDR.jpg

@Rexer

sorry, just getting familiarized with the boards formatting. the ph is sitting at a nice and easy 5.7 and res temp is 65. the roots look brown because of gh rapid start but otherwise theyre healthy, smell free. ive attached pics on the post above this one, the water looks the way it does because the wall is reflecting on the surface but otherwise the water is clear and free of debris. i have lowered the water level to 2in below pots. is a water ppm at 250 considered hard? is thats the case the calimagic im adding every feed might be throwing the nutes off...

@Tokin Roll

Hi @pliskin914
You’re in good hands here. I thought I’d give my 5c.

I agree with the guys about your ppm, that is extremely high. And your very dark leaves would suggest over-fertilisation too.

PH I let drift between 5.8-6.2 ideally. A slight drift in PH is normal, it’s when you have spikes that you need to ask questions.

It also appears you have some root rot. How do the roots smell? As Tok mentioned, something like hydroguard should clear this up for you.

Note - if you use hydroguard or any other bennies don’t use products that have h2o2.

Tokin and Genie gave some really great advice as well.

Just a question, your TDS meter...do you know if it's reading at a conversation rate of :
x7 or x5 ?

Hofun TDS Meter, 3 in 1 TDS, EC & Temperature Meter

1664575611503.png

i couldnt find the conversion rate....the only question i have is WHY would gh give you a feeding schedule that would nute burn your girls? if the ratio provided by gh is too much, how should i ratio the 3 part flora nutes?

Your feed is way to strong bro bro! Try like 700ppms. You gunna zap em if you haven’t already.

Your feed is way to strong bro bro! Try like 700ppms. You gunna zap em if you haven’t already.
i was THIS close. dwc has a bit of a curve to it, once dialed in though the next grow should take off. ill try photosynthesis on my next grow; when this girls bounce back ill take clones and start the process in a separate room with it. since we're throwing ppm's around like it aint no thang, what should the ppm be during bloom/flower

Play with some coco bro! Fabric pots... super easy and fast with great yields and you can use the same nutrients you already got. I like the floranova grow and the floranova bloom... but those pics were dwc with gen hydro 3 part no additives but photosynthesis plus, some terpenator and resguard. Hit me up if you need help, I’m up all night. I’m an insomniac. Lol

i was THIS close. dwc has a bit of a curve to it, once dialed in though the next grow should take off. ill try photosynthesis on my next grow; when this girls bounce back ill take clones and start the process in a separate room with it. since we're throwing ppm's around like it aint no thang, what should the ppm be during bloom/flower
You can do dwc bro. I got faith. I suggest you do a bit of all types of grows and see what you like. I’m about to dive into living organic soil. Should be interesting.

since we're throwing ppm's around like it aint no thang, what should the ppm be during bloom/flower

Sorry about the slow response; I am still getting familiar with the site myself. I get way to many notification and miss the one that are for my attention. I'll figure it out eventually.

Tell me a little of what you have going on.

What is your current ppm's and bucket temperature?
Are you using hydro-guard to fight off your root problem?
Any current images?

I can help, but it's a lot easier and better with some information.

Tok..

Back
Top Bottom