Super cropping: don't go overboard!

Sumeru blue

420 Member
So...a quick heads up...
If you are super cropping and if you arnt you really ought to be, you need to be aware that the more you stress the plant the greater the possibility of getting male flowers popping up in the strangest of places..
If you know your plants and are particularly observant you can simply remove the offending appendages....but you need to be on it as it can happen overnight and will trash your crop...
Safe bet is to super crop early and just the once...
I am growing my own strain with silver haze as the dad...he has a giant gene and 50% of the jack and nlx5 haze that I have bred all have the same giant gene...I have to super crop but repeatedly doing so will produce male flowers....
Just so as you know!

A little stress..(rubbing ur hand across the tops of younger plant) should help with the strength of ur stems. There is a product called "potassium silicate") tht is known to strengthen the cell walls of ur plant..making them stronger w the ability to strengthen ur stems from within. Bout to order some myself. Thanks and good luck Cattle!!

I tried super cropping, gave it up, to much work for the benefits I got.. I wanted something with a little faster results.. I now have a different approach to managing growth during veg.. A managed Scrog screen.. For me super cropping is just prolonged plant torture.. I do believe it does push a plant toward trans-gender, if it already has that propensity..
In veg I usually keep the terminal growth at screen level, never letting it get more than a couple inches above before pulling it down and out to the next hole in the screen. My mixed hydro thread and Igloo grow does offer fairly good arguments for scrog screens over super cropping....

If your plants are showing male pods from super cropping. Then it is really prone to hermie. Not a big deal as it looks like you know. Most super cropping does not add that much stress to a healthy plant. Super cropping should not cause hermaphrodites.

I pinch my plants as much as I need to get the plant to bush out. Some strains will refuse to do what you want. Those you will need to top to get them to spread.

There are different things people refer to as Super Cropping. Super Cropping has not changed. A thousand people explaining it to each other has changed it over time LMAO.

All it is is pinching the stalk at selected spots. This sends more energy to the lower branches. Turning the normal christmas tree shape to a shorter bush.

If I stress my plants when they are juveniles will they forget by the time they start flowering? Hehe seriously..
I get your point but the whole point is surely to stimulate bud growth...it's the shock that kicks in the turbo!
I have wild boar up here...they love weed but it appears that post battering the plant goes ballistic...currently they are trying to break into my poly tunnel..along with the rabbits who seem to love weed too..

I agree ...if you are growing outside and somewhat under the radar trees are no good.super cropping is of course pinching the branch which then allows you to bend the branch anywhere you need it..90 deg works fine and then all the 2nd and 3rd stage buds will match the original top cola..less trim!

When I super crop my plants. I just pinch the stalk. I don't bend it over till later. Then I gently bend them and not kink the branch. What you are doing is fine and I have did that when colas get to close to the light. As you mentioned they don't mind the kink.

When you just pinch the stalk it still redirects energy to the side branches. Once the lower branches have had a chance to grow some. I bend the whole plant over so the top is pointed down. Doing things this way is not nearly as stressful. Here are a couple pics of my plants after I had did as mentioned.

There was about a week between pinching and bending for the branches grow. Here is that same plant yesterday.

Did you ever ask yourself what do the growers who make 900+ pound Pumpkins do to their plants to make a bigger fruit? I have absolutely over stressed a plant before but considered it was prolly not stable genetics. I use super cropping throughout the veg phase to help keep an even canopy. I only top the plants once early in life.
You definitely said it. Just space out the times of stress. Not too too much at one time..

They grow those big ass vegetables with Miracle Grow LOL. That a certain genetics. Lots of times the seed they use to grow massive pumpkins come from the massive pumpkin they grew the year before.

It works with weed too. Think is the huge producers don't normally put out very strong weed. Better to have big plants that are strong then massive plants with low THC

Back
Top Bottom