Super Lemon Haze - Indoor First Grow

My Ballast is only for MH.
But they make 3000 Kelvin Spectrum for Metal Halides now ! they are quite pricey but i was wondering if i should replace my 6500 Kelvin Mh bulbs with these ones as they are closer to the flowering spectrum..

Check this out :

[video=youtube;nq6RynfdE6c]
[/video]

i am familiar with SunPulse mixed spectrum light bulbs, they only come in 600watt and 1000watt. i still have not seen any data on how it would improve cannabis growing with either potency, flavor or yield. i am familiar with 10,000 kelvin high intensity light bulbs from keeping aquariums and its effect on coral growth and have been curious as to whether it may increase resin production in cannabis. Heath Robinson is someone who did a lot of bulb testing for cannabis and said to use the 10,000 kelvin bulb in the last two weeks i believe.

Hiyah Raven,
Lovely grow, Love your improvisation. Low kelvin MH would be great for flower, but you've invested a lot in cfl's already. Id get the other bulbs for the future as it will allow you to grow without all the cfl work. Get a few grows out of the cfl's till they lose power then go for the MH in the future and change out the bulbs for flowering. Sweet grow mate.
Regards
Dutch

Hiyah Raven,
Lovely grow, Love your improvisation. Low kelvin MH would be great for flower, but you've invested a lot in cfl's already. Id get the other bulbs for the future as it will allow you to grow without all the cfl work. Get a few grows out of the cfl's till they lose power then go for the MH in the future and change out the bulbs for flowering. Sweet grow mate.
Regards
Dutch

Thanks for stopping by. Glad you liking the grow :)
I agree with you about the lighting. i invested alot in CFLS already and will continue the grow with them along with the 600W metal hallides that ive got. But next grow hopefully ill get the low kelvin MH and make a comparison!

Hiho, just found my way here - and yay another SLH :)

Great healthy plant! :goodjob:

I saw you mentioned pH up/down earlier - if your budget is not that limited and you plan for more grows later perhaps, i'd suggest to get an RO filter - with that and proper soil and nutes you don't ever need to care about pH. It will bring back the price in buds, less additives - and you will always know what's in there.

When you use ph up/down in soil that means just additional chemicals that end up in the pot - the best is if there is nothing else, just what the plant needs to grow. Those are for hydro, better get clean water instead, if that's an option.

Week 6 Flowering - Garden Shot :)

Currently in week 6 of the flowering period.
Things are looking nice so far and they are fattening up at a fast rate.

I moved the lights for a bit just so i can try and take this shot. its a very tight space so doing a panorama was quite hard but this is what it looks like at the moment :)

ENjoy

raven_Garden1.jpg

Looking very well man! +reps!

Week 7 Flowering - Quick update

Things are looking really good :)

I noticed few things.
one of my plants seems to be a bit more mature than the other.
I am not sure if that's the right way to tell but one of them, the buds have alot of orange hairs, almost like 80% orange hairs. However, on the other lady the orange hairs are at around 10% orange at max.
I have few questions if you guys don't mind.

What do the brown hairs tell us in general ? are they considered a way of telling that the plant is at late stage in flowering ? Did one of them start flowering earlier than the other ?

I have a 60x Jewelers microscope so i had a look at the trichs : i noticed that on few buds on the 80% brown haired lady, all trichs are clear but what is strange is that i noticed few amber trichs !

on the other lady, all the trichs are clear.

One thing to note is that when i switched to 12/12 my friend who was looking after them, gave them a good water and set the timer and left them unattended for 5 days. when he came back he realized that the timer was not on and the plants were in the dark for 5 complete days!! I mentioned that earlier in the journal but since no one commented on it i thought it was ok.. so i am not sure that had to do with one of them being really mature or not.. would appreciate your comments regarding this.

Appreciate all the help everyone has given me throughout this journey. You guys have been awesome and ive been learning alot from you and the journals and learning/adjusting along the way.

I doubt many folks have any exprience with a 5 day night.

All anyone can do is swallow and wait....

Brown hairs are only older flowers, they mature at different rates.

Harvest readiness is all in the trichomes.

This is from a pdf I got somewhere...

The thing about amber trichomes, is that true amber trichomes only develop in some phenotypes and only with very high potency types!

The way to define it, is that high potency or should I say the type of plant that develops what I call complex psychoactivity, only develop with clear trichome stages, they go from glass clear to very light yellow to amber to red amber as they develop. The onset of the first red amber just showing is when the potency is at its peak.

At all these stages the trichomes are crystal clear like cut jewels! Its only as they start to degrade that they start to go brown and start to cloud ie: become none translucent this finally degrades to a dark muddy colour.

Types that go from glass clear to milky [like frosted glass]. With this type when you get 40 to 60% milky trichomes, new thc production is being produced at a lower rate than it is slowly degrading, this is the most psychoactive point for this type or variety, it will never produce true amber, instead when you get the oxidised thc starting to show, which is more of an amber brown but cloudy. With this type of var as soon as brown trichomes start appearing you know thc production is way over the top and declining rapidly, at this stage psychoactivity is also declining and the effect becomes more and more narcotic. You see this much more with genes that come from hash making type genetics or so called indicas. Its the same thing as fresh lightly pressed hash has a nice medium honey coloured look, but this very quickly starts to darken, becomes brown then black over time as the surface thc oil oxidises.

Real Amber trichomes only happen on a very few varieties (mainly sativa dominant), the order is clear, clear slightly pale yellow, ie [going amber], to clear red amber. [at all stages they remain jewel clear]

With most varieties (indica dominant) you get clear trichomes then slightly cloudy finally milky.

What happens to both types (sativa and indica) is that eventually both milky and amber trichomes will finally degrade to brown, people often confuse this brown with amber, true amber trichome types remain crystal clear until they finally degrade, they are not the same, the final brown is cloudy/muddy in both types, when trichomes are getting to this stage potency is declining rapidly and the buds well over the top.

With sativa dom’s time means little, as soon as you see the first sign of trichome changes ie milky/clear straw, you start cutting a bud every week, then choose the stone you like best, sats take longer to mature especially real amber types, also longer to degrade to the brown oxidised stage.

5 days that's a bit excessive lol obviously as u say it was an accident. Ppl have been known to leave 24/48 hours dark before flowering and given it was 7 weeks ago I'd guess u got away with that :)
I don't think the event happening that long back would have a lasting effect on one plants maturity

Raven dude iv got 2 slh the one on the left is fluffy light and white and not very sticky
The one on the right is dense sticky and more mature.
I always put it down to 3 days high temps in veg but reading through slh grows I think seed phenos vary massively

Looks great! Nice frosty buds :)
That will last for some time.

reading through slh grows I think seed phenos vary massively

Yes, indeed. You might need to go through a few phenos until you find a good one. I have seen 2 slh phenos so far personally, and they were really different - in look, nutrient uptake, bud structure and probably flowering time as well. Have to see that yet.

Raven dude iv got 2 slh the one on the left is fluffy light and white and not very sticky
The one on the right is dense sticky and more mature.
I always put it down to 3 days high temps in veg but reading through slh grows I think seed phenos vary massively

Mine are exactly like that. the one on left is fluffy light and not very sticky and the one on the right is more orange and sticky.
I think you are right about differences between phenos for sure :)

Mate your grow is looking amazing iam really glad things are looking good so far for us..
I double checked with a jeweler's loupe today and all my crystals are still clear so i think the one that has alot of brown hairs is just a different pheno like you pointed

Back
Top Bottom