Super-potent Pot? Drug Czar's Marijuana Claims Hazy

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Recent media stories about highly potent pot sweeping the nation are based on fudged statistics from an incomplete report supplied by the Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), according to those who've viewed the full version of the report released recently.

The full version of the report blows smoke in the face of claims by the ONDCP that their testing showed median marijuana potency had surpassed the 10 percent THC-level for the first time ever. THC is the active ingredient in marijuana.

A statement by Drug Czar Gil Kerlikowske initially claimed that the latest ODC analysis of marijuana samples showed "the average amount of THC in seized samples has reached a new high of 10.1 percent."

But the full report shows that the 10-percent threshold is only crossed by adding hashish into the equation. On its own, average marijuana potency was 8.52 percent, while average potency of hashish was 20.76 percent.

The full report was obtained by the Marijuana Policy Project, which is produced by the Marijuana Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi.

There is also debate over whether there is actually a problem with higher-potency marijuana, with advocates arguing that stronger pot means that users end up smoking less for the same effect, thus sparing their lungs.

On an intuitive level, this seems obvious. Consider alcohol. If potency were the main engine of alcohol addiction, then all the bums would be drinking Everclear or Bacardi 151. But why not?

As with many things, the more potent something is, the less people tend to use. Thus, with the exception of a few derelicts, regular people drink smaller portions of spirits than they do of beer or wine to get the same effect. That's SMALLER AMOUNT, SAME EFFECT. Notice there's no epidemic of Everclear abuse in places where it's available as compared to where it's not. We wouldn't have less alcoholism with weak alcohol, just people who drank more. Same with pot. Stronger pot means less carcinogenic material is inhaled to get the desired effect. So, on it's face the argument seems silly, even if pot is becoming more potent.

However, when the evidence says the opposite, the government does a disservice to itself and its citizens by trying to fuel anti-pot-hysteria with fudged statistics and incomplete data.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Examiner.com
Author: Jefferson Adams
Copyright: 2009 Clarity Digital Group LLC
Website: SF Health News Examiner: Super-potent pot? Drug czar's marijuana claims hazy

User makes rational arguement against irrational drug-bust buisiness assertions. What else can we do? I personally use 2g or less weekly, as my homegrown is potent. If I could get only brick shit, I would and have used more. Who cares? Governmment mighty mouths act as if it's their job to 'control' citizens. Should be opposite.

Back
Top Bottom