Supercropping

What is Supercropping?

This type of training is known by many different names:

-Stem mutilation
-Stem pinching
-Crushing the herd
-Stem-smashing
-Leaning the stem over

Now, there are interesting theories, methods and discussions invovling both the science and application of this type of training.

All of them have the same general idea: mutilate the stem evenly around an area so that the stem bends over at a 90 degree angle. In this case, we aren't removing a piece of the plant, but rather damaging an area of the plant so that the angle of the branch changes.

The most common methodology for crushing the stem is to pinch the stem enough that it breaks and separates a bit. Then, turn your pinch by 90 degrees and pinch again. This will cause the tip of the plant to fall over at an angle.

Supercropping can be done during vegetative growth to achieve effects similar to LST. That is: the apical tip will be bent downwards once the branch has been pinched. This causes the plant to think that it needs to send new tips to grow towards the light source.

Supercropping can also be done during flower to keep those stretchy plants from burning themselves. There are plenty of examples of supercropping well into flower w/out having too adverse of an effect on the plant:
pic

Obviously, some strains will respond better than others. In addition, if you supercrop well into flower and you have some heavy budsites, you may find the stem has troubles supporting itself. Be smart about it and don't crush the stems too hard if you don't think the plant will grow out of it.

Now a few last things before I'm done...

First.. please remember to start out doing a few branches at first.. make sure your plant reacts ok to it.. some do better than others... its better to make sure first... but again, i have not grown any that react poorly...

Second.. if you tear the stem its ok.. you may get little rips that run vertically up the stem.. its alright if this happens.. your plant will be just fine... trust me.. it happens a lot..

Third... be gentle when you squeeze.. you may need to work it a little if the stem is thicker.. this is ok... if you are too rough you will break it off.. i have done that.. topping unwantedly is not a pleasant surprise...

Fourth... take your time at first... its nothing you need to rush.. get used to how the stem feels when it pops like you want it to.. how it feels when its softened enough to bend easily.. then build up your speed.. it can take a while to do a larger garden.. and you may want to hurry.. but patience is a virtue here...Don't hermie them by going nuts

Lastly... when the spot your super cropped heals up it will more than likely be a thick round ball in the middle of the stem.. this is good.. think of it like scar tissue that lets nutes pass up to bud sites like an expressway..

BTW- one can even get the plant stem (and the buds up top) to survive a near-total severing... like if you bend a tender shoot a bit too much and it mostly snaps off- just tape the darn thing together. It will almost always survive if the broken parts are physically stuck together and allowed to heal a bit.

Some day I'll post pics I took of such an (averted) tragedy.

Cheers

Ive watched a few peoples growing techniques with super or monster cropping.. One vid i saw they did well and i was impressed with their method. I dunno about crushing alot of stems at same time as shock may occurr or sum stress that may Hermie ur girls.So, do sum research before you proceed. Its better to watch other ppl's grows fail than ur own!! And a couple of growers here are well knowledged in these matters too- so watch sum vids, have a chat and listen to ppl's comments and you too can have a mass grow!!:thumb:

Super Cropping my favorite. smash them stems. I found that medical tape works well if you over do it as it allows the wound to breathe.

017263.JPG

can you guess how many plants this is??

Ive watched a few peoples growing techniques with super or monster cropping.. One vid i saw they did well and i was impressed with their method. I dunno about crushing alot of stems at same time as shock may occurr or sum stress that may Hermie ur girls.So, do sum research before you proceed. Its better to watch other ppl's grows fail than ur own!! And a couple of growers here are well knowledged in these matters too- so watch sum vids, have a chat and listen to ppl's comments and you too can have a mass grow!!:thumb:

Well if pre flowers show then I don't think it would be an issue.
I supercropped almost all my branches at one time. Plant loved it. only lost one branch.

Would like to start out by saying hello to all for this is my first time here.
supercroping is a beautiful thing as a newbee my first plant was a cherry pezz at begin of flower over 16 in wide nine tops plant loves to be trained

Back
Top Bottom