Support Not There In Senate To Pass Marijuana Legalization Bill

Truth Seeker

Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller said Friday he doesn't think there's enough support in the Senate to pass a bill proposed on Thursday that would legalize the recreational use of marijuana in Maryland.

House Bill 1453 would allow Marylanders age 21 and older to possess one ounce or less of marijuana, and to grow up to three pot plants in their homes. Del. Curt Anderson, D-Baltimore City, proposed the bill.

Miller said he personally favors the "liberalization of marijuana laws," and he thinks marijuana should be regulated like cigarettes and alcohol.

"We're incarcerating people for offenses that really I think they should be treated as very minor offenses, paying a fine," Miller said. "But those are my personal views and I don't think they're the views of the majority of the Senate."

Two states, Colorado and Washington, have approved measures making marijuana legal for adults.

Eighteen states and Washington, D.C., have legalized medical marijuana, but Maryland has not. Maryland does allow a doctor's prescription as an affirmative defense in court.

Under Anderson's proposed bill, smoking marijuana in public would remain illegal. But an excise tax of $50 per ounce would be collected by the state and the revenues would be used for alcohol, tobacco and drug treatment.

Plants grown at home would be required to have a state-issued zip tie attached. Each zip tie would cost $100 and be valid for one year.

Anderson's bill was introduced in the House with just three co-sponsors, his fellow Baltimore City Democrat Sens. Nathaniel Oaks, Jill Carter and Cheryl Glenn.

Medical_Marijuana4.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: capitalgazette.com
Author: Alex Jackson
Website: Miller: Support not there in Senate to pass marijuana legalization bill - CapitalGazette.com: Government

Back
Top Bottom