Supporters Cheer Passage of Eureka Springs Marijuana Initiative

BluntKilla

Supporters of a measure that de-emphasives the prosecution and arrest of marijuana users in this laidback Ozark hamlet say they hope to propose a similar ordinance in at least one other town.

In Tuesday's election, the Eureka Springs marijuana initiative passed with 63 percent supporting it. According to complete but unofficial returns, 598 people supported the measure and 345 people opposed it.

"For the first time in Arkansas history, citizens have had an opportunity to voice their opinion on America's failed marijuana laws," said Ryan Denham, a campaign director for Fayetteville's chapter of the National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws.

"Eureka Springs citizens would rather police focus on violent crimes and property crimes, and not spend their limited resources targeting, arresting and prosecuting minor marijuana offenders," he said.

Next up for the group is trying to get a similar initiative passed in Fayetteville in 2008, Denham said.

But groups such as the Arkansas Family Council Action Committee are opposed to such measures, saying it sends the wrong message about illegal drugs.

"The measure in Eureka Springs, I believe, sends the wrong message to our young people that somehow using illegal drugs is OK," Jerry Cox, the council's executive director. "In Arkansas, I believe most parents believe the use of illegal drugs, especially by their children, always is wrong."

However, Cox said he didn't anticipate strong support for similar initiatives statewide.

"Eureka Springs may be the only city in Arkansas where a measure like this would receive any significant support among the local citizens," he said.

Despite the initiative's passage, Eureka Springs police Chief Earl Hyatt said the enforcement priorities of the police department won't change.

"If an officer finds someone with a small amount of marijuana, they have always had the choice of pouring it on the ground and rubbing it in the dirt or charging the person _ and that is not going to change," Hyatt said. "This has always been a moot point, but they wanted it on there and they got it. It's their democratic right."

Newshawk: BluntKilla - 420Magazine.com
Source: Pine Bluff Commercial News
Pubdate: November 11, 2006
Copyright: 2006 Stephens Media Group
Website: Article 404 - Pine Bluff Commercial - Pine Bluff, AR

Im live here in Arkansas ,white coutny to b exact,in place called Searcy.Its the home of Harding University,its what runs this county.The cops around here are hardcore when it comes to pot.One night me and two of my friends was charged charged and arrested for a peice of paper the pig said was a roach.We went to court six different times,because they said the evidence had not yet returned to the lab.

Back
Top Bottom