Supporters Still Push For Cannabis Cultivation Despite Watered Down Georgian Bill

Robert Celt

Medical marijuana is always controversial and this year in Georgia is no different, especially now that a medical marijuana bill that started off as a life preserver for sick and disabled children has been stripped of a key component that parents say is necessary for their kid's survival.

Georgia parents of sick and disabled children have been advocating for House Bill 722 - the goal to expand conditions that would qualify for medical cannabis cards and allow cannabis to be grown here in Georgia.

"You should have the right to choose what works for you. And what medicine you should have the ability to have access too," said Richard Haines of MDHerb.org and a bill supporter.

Thousands of people like Haines rely on cannabis oil to treat medical conditions from childhood epilepsy, cancer - even PTSD.

Haines, who suffers from Crohn's disease, said he's had remarkable success.

"I'm in full remission of my Crohn's," Haines said.

But lawmakers here in Georgia don't seem interested in stories like Haines.

Weeks ago, lawmakers eliminated a key provision that would allow cannabis to be grown here in the state. Forcing families to travel to states like Colorado and California - where growing medical marijuana is legal.

"For the last two years, my wife and son have been living out in Colorado and I've been living out in Georgia. And it's really tough on us," said Chip Oliver, who was hoping the bill would pass with an in-state cultivation law so that his family can move back to Georgia.

We reached out to Sen. Butch Miller (R) District 49 who has been against legalizing cannabis cultivation here. The senate is expected to take up the bill this week.

"In state production is going to be difficult," Miller said. "I think that we're attempting to expand the list of diagnoses and we're attempting to get another little bite of the apple."

Part of the problem is a lack of education about CBD oil and dismissing the stereotype that it's not about kids smoking joints or getting high.

"I was raised a Baptist in Elijay, and it's like OMG people are going to think we're druggies, and pushing this cannabis thing. But it has helped her a lot, she's doesn't have but 2 seizures considering she used to have 80 a day," said Melisa Searcy, whose daughter Angel takes the oil.

Another problem is going up against a billion dollar pharmaceutical industry and marijuana cultivators trying to monopolize the industry.

"Pharmaceuticals are being sold on the street corners at Walgreens, OxyContin but we can't grow a plant which actually does help so many people," Haines said.

Parents and supporters said they'll continue to push for legalization here — no matter how politicians vote on the bill.

"There is an extreme need for the passage of this. I've seriously seen an extreme difference in my child. And lots of other Georgians' children and adults," said supporter, Sarabeth Fowler, whose daughter Ava takes the oil for epilepsy.

Flowering-Cannabis.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Supporters Still Push For Cannabis Cultivation Despite Watered Down Georgian Bill
Author: Ben Swann
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom