Surfbuddy's 1st DWC BigBud, Northern Lights, BubbleGum Grow Journal 2012

SurfBuddy

Grow tent 4'x2'
Bucket Size - 10 gallon and 3 gallon
Medium - Hydroton and Rockwool
Lights - 3x 4' two bulb t8 led's (warm, daylight, cool white and blue) Plus one 4' six bulb high bay t8 from HD with warm, cool and daylight bulbs
Nutrients - General Hydroponics
Strain(s) - BigBud, Northern Lights, BubbleGum plus one unknown (classic pack came with free seeds)
# of Plants: lucky 13
Yield : 14-16 Ounces.
Home made DWC with SOG in mind
Passive cooling, room temp 84
humidity: ?
PH: 6
no bugs,
Day one of seeds in DWC rockwool, seeds were soaked overnight in ph balanced water, with no nutes added yet.
special pre-thanks for the tulip thread and Bassman's journal that got me started reading... \
2012-03-28_18-19-58_seeds_in.jpg

uh-oh, no seedlings sprouted overnight... starting to worry. I worry my rockwool is too wet from not enough bubbles-- how can you tell, anyway? I also worry that the water temp is not as warm as the 80 degree cup they call cracked in... but roots like colder water, right?

tulip's thread said 18-24 hours in one spot, then 4-5 day for germ in another...

Right now, only two bulbs of the high bay are on, is that too bright for them?

uh-oh, no seedlings sprouted overnight... starting to worry. I worry my rockwool is too wet from not enough bubbles-- how can you tell, anyway? I also worry that the water temp is not as warm as the 80 degree cup they call cracked in... but roots like colder water, right?

tulip's thread said 18-24 hours in one spot, then 4-5 day for germ in another...

Right now, only two bulbs of the high bay are on, is that too bright for them?
If you just put the seeds in there last night without germinating first, you wont see them popping out till maybe day 3. They need to crack and form a tap root before they can grow up out of the rockwool.

Its best to have a heat mat under the tray to keep the cubes warm.

Roots actually enjoy warmer water 70-78 but so does root rot. That is why people are running lower temps. Seeds have energy stored in their embryo (which is also the cotyledons) The seed has to have sufficient o2, moisture, once the seed is imbibed it will start to turn its stored sugars into energy, starting growth. Depending on the factors and the seed itself it could take days for this process to engage and finish.

puffpuff- I germinated them using the cup method with a 24 hour soak on a heating pad at 80 deg., but didn't want to drown them, so I put them all (root tip 1/2" down to just a crack in the seed) into the rockwool. My therm there is reading 78.2, and they are in the DWC already, no tray used.

albatross- sounds like my temps are OK, I guess I'm just a little antsy since on my previous first try (if there is such a thing) I got no sprouts at all... :( But that could have been the old bag seeds...

I'm actually going to hate rockwool if this doesn't work :p I figure I'm probably just an anxious newbie...

p.s. thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Whew, Northern Lights and Bubble Gum both pushed out of the rockwool and several others are in waiting ready to go.
The NL busted out of the dryest looking cube, interestingly enough, so for the ones that were super wet, i pulled out the dripper and adjusted it lower--both in fewer drips and lower on the cube..
Yea for happy babies!
bbnl2012-03-29_20-12-19_713.jpg

bg2012-03-29_20-12-36_101.jpg

nl2012-03-29_20-12-13_858.jpg

one thing i learned is if u stick it in the medium to germ and sprout you gotta be patient
i usually germ with the paper towel methed till the roots about 1/2 out of the seed then i stick it in the rockwool......

Thanks ChronicHH, I may do that 1/2 1/2 next round--I probably could have left them all in water longer too, but I have read here about drowning seeds, which I really don't want to do...

Patience ain't easy :) Guess I have to busy myself with something else (but it's so fun I don't want to!)

I normally germinate them in the medium im growing in. One reason I smoke so i could kill them by transplanting them from the paper towel to the soil, the other reason is it just makes sense to me to germinate them where they will be growing. I haven't researched anything on the matter yet just my .02$

And Congrats now the hard part starts..the hard part being trying not to check on them 20 times a day lol

pH at 8????

no worries im a newb to indoor and dwc and wasted a few seeds before i figured it out lol
You're not the only one LOL.. although i don't know if the first batch of seeds were any good, they were from a bag from a friend

I normally germinate them in the medium im growing in. One reason I smoke so i could kill them by transplanting them from the paper towel to the soil, the other reason is it just makes sense to me to germinate them where they will be growing. I haven't researched anything on the matter yet just my .02$

And Congrats now the hard part starts..the hard part being trying not to check on them 20 times a day lol

I had the same thought. That's why I cracked the seeds in water then went straight to the rockwool.

On a different note, my pH today was way up on the bigger bucket. I only have a water tester, but it looked like it could have been in the 8.5+ range! NOOOOOO!
so I scooped out half a gallon of water, added back in ph4-5 water (about 1 quart) and the ph came down to 6.5... I'm going to let it sit as I've read that you shouldn't adjust pH too quickly. I noticed my res temp is also very high, over 80. I added in four capfuls of h202 to the 2.5 gallons of water in the res (mixed with another 16oz cup of pH water)

The smaller tank had a more managable pH of 6.5, so I adjusted that down with some unknown amount of pH5 water (one gallon res) after draining some with the drain plug in the bottom. (I'll have to be more scientific about it next time)

It was actually the first time I had used the drain plug and it worked great... it just has a threaded riser on the inside of the tank that I turn until water starts coming out, I can flush the whole reservoir super fast or at a trickle.

I will check on the pH in about 8 hours (not 20 minutes, I repeat, not 20 minutes) to see if it spikes again and readjust..

Any pointers on whether I should check sooner or adjust more now?

Current pH of big tank, 6.5, small tank 6.0 (these are only as accurate as my water tester)

Re: pH at 8????

PH: 6.5 bug tank
one flying bug.

Soooo, The big tank had a funny smell, and the 1/2" hose I'm using as a main line for the drip is slippery and the pH was back up to 8.5+.

I used my spare, clean tank and filled it with pH 5.5 water. This one has a drain on it too, but a 3/4"pvc valve instead of the threaded drain.

I took the cups, one by one and poured it through with a cup of the 5.5 water into a bucket, then set the cups aside. I bleach watered the pump and irrigation tubes for several hours with the pump running then ran it in pH balanced water for a few more. Before putting the pump back in, I got more airstones and a new airpump.

I think I remember reading that slime is caused by light and water with nutes (although I haven't added any yet), so I worked on a new light blocking method:
heat-and-light-reflector-20.jpg

I'm a little worried that the plants might get too hot if I have the lights close with all that reflection. The light is a high output t8 high bay that has 6 32watt bulbs
high-output-t8s.jpg

The temp under the reflector is high, was 89, and I raised the lights another 2", but the plants seem to love it. Tub water is at 76. Spouts are lifting and seeds flying. It's getting late, and I'm a little worried it's too much.

one thing i learned is if u stick it in the medium to germ and sprout you gotta be patient
i usually germ with the paper towel methed till the roots about 1/2 out of the seed then i stick it in the rockwool......

Cronichemphog's 2nd Grow Started Medi Bomb #1 and White Widow

Cronichemp's First Indoor DWC 60 Day Wonder & NYCD

oh yea i just noticed i only put 1/2
the roots are actually 1/2 inch out of the shell before i stick it in the rockwool just wanted to clarify, and also most roots ive noticed arent just straight so i usually split the rockwool open stick it in then gently tie around it to close it.

PH: 6.5 bug tank
one flying bug.

Soooo, The big tank had a funny smell, and the 1/2" hose I'm using as a main line for the drip is slippery and the pH was back up to 8.5+.

I used my spare, clean tank and filled it with pH 5.5 water. This one has a drain on it too, but a 3/4"pvc valve instead of the threaded drain.

I took the cups, one by one and poured it through with a cup of the 5.5 water into a bucket, then set the cups aside. I bleach watered the pump and irrigation tubes for several hours with the pump running then ran it in pH balanced water for a few more. Before putting the pump back in, I got more airstones and a new airpump.

I think I remember reading that slime is caused by light and water with nutes (although I haven't added any yet), so I worked on a new light blocking method:
heat-and-light-reflector-20.jpg

I'm a little worried that the plants might get too hot if I have the lights close with all that reflection. The light is a high output t8 high bay that has 6 32watt bulbs
high-output-t8s.jpg

The temp under the reflector is high, was 89, and I raised the lights another 2", but the plants seem to love it. Tub water is at 76. Spouts are lifting and seeds flying. It's getting late, and I'm a little worried it's too much.

i think it might depend on the bulbs your using but the ones i use if you look in my 60 day wonder nycd journal pics i usually keep em within 2-4 inches and i dont move em until theyre actually like touching the light lol and i still dont rush to move em, have no heat trouble with the bulbs im using as far as burning from heat, t-8 litro grow bulbs...... but also im not using anything on my containers or buckets to reflect light either........:thumb:

Yeah i had problems with my ph spiking as well i was using tap water. Then i switched to r/o and its much much more stable. And when i get it its a perfect 5.5 :) so it makes me happy especially with ph balanced nutes like GH. What kind of water are you using? Your new air stone will probably help keeping the water aerated which is important and may be a cause of algae(slime). Once i bought a bigger airstone and combined the 2 outlets into one my rez temps dropped too.(but when i bought my new stone my ph peaked some for the first day) yeah man 8.5 is high as hell. I would get some R/o water asap if you haven't already, also your DIY windshield ( what i use alot too :) ) is reflector should help keep the rez temps down by insulate the water. High rez temps will also be a factor in the slime. You may want to look into getting a big Styrofoam cooler and putting your bin in it. Perhaps air circulation/intake/exhaust. 90 degrees is hot but i really dont think you will burn the plants with a CFL unless its touching. Whats your humidity at? Hoped I helped some let me know if you need anything

You're up late! LOL

i think it might depend on the bulbs your using but the ones i use if you look in my 60 day wonder nycd journal pics i usually keep em within 2-4 inches and i dont move em until theyre actually like touching the light lol and i still dont rush to move em, have no heat trouble with the bulbs im using as far as burning from heat, t-8 litro grow bulbs...... but also im not using anything on my containers or buckets to reflect light either........:thumb:

OK that makes me feel better, and FWIW, I had some action in the last 6 hours, two seeds shed their shells and now have their first sets of real leaves! I'm going to try to let them just grow into the light, but they ain't getting any taller.

oh yea i just noticed i only put 1/2
the roots are actually 1/2 inch out of the shell before i stick it in the rockwool just wanted to clarify, and also most roots ive noticed arent just straight so i usually split the rockwool open stick it in then gently tie around it to close it.

OK, that's what I thought you meant, and for the next run, I'm going to wait till ALL of them have more root, and use less water in the cup (1/8 in.
instead of 1 in.) Beacause then I won't have to worry about drowning them.

Yeah i had problems with my ph spiking as well i was using tap water. Then i switched to r/o and its much much more stable. And when i get it its a perfect 5.5 :) so it makes me happy especially with ph balanced nutes like GH. What kind of water are you using?

That's weird, I had read the opposite, that R/O was much harder to control the pH, but I guess whatever works for you... I'm using tap water

Your new air stone will probably help keeping the water aerated which is important and may be a cause of algae(slime). Once i bought a bigger airstone and combined the 2 outlets into one my rez temps dropped too.
I have four airstones in the tank now, Bubbly! I think it helps a lot.. how big of a air pump do you have or is recommended?

(but when i bought my new stone my ph peaked some for the first day) yeah man 8.5 is high as hell. I would get some R/o water asap if you haven't already,
My pH has stablilized, was 6.5 last night and is 6.5 today.. I'm going to give it a little down though to try to hit closer to 5.5-5.8, although its tough with an imprecise measure-er

also your DIY windshield ( what i use alot too :) ) is reflector should help keep the rez temps down by insulate the water. High rez temps will also be a factor in the slime. You may want to look into getting a big Styrofoam cooler and putting your bin in it. Perhaps air circulation/intake/exhaust. 90 degrees is hot but i really dont think you will burn the plants with a CFL unless its touching. Whats your humidity at? Hoped I helped some let me know if you need anything
LOL I just put in an exhaust fan last night, and I may have to make a dedicated inlet, but that's where all my power is coming in right now... The plants seem to love their new environment/water, so I'm going to let it go for now. Humidity monitor should show up next week... I did get a humidifier, but did not plug it in yet... is it necessary this early in the game? It seems like the cubes are still plenty moist. Thanks!

Major Renovations

So the pH has finally settled down around 6. I realized that my resivoir for the 11 plants in the 10 gallon tub was only holding 3 gallons, and that the water was bumping up against the bottom of my beer cups. I guess that's why people use netpots LOL

So to have more available water down the line, I've added a recirculating reservoir below the two tubs. It took some ghetto rigging because I got the wrong irrigation pipe at the store I.D. vs O.D. DUH, but it's working now. I'll probably do some tidying up tomorrow. The lower reservoir is also a 10 gallon tub, has airstones and makes it easy to check pH or drop in a frozen water bottle to cool the water without disturbing the plants.

Speaking of the plants, I've got new members to the standing club, so all but a few have pushed through the rockwool.
Bubblegum was the first to show real leaves, then two NL's, then more Bubblegum, then Bigbud. It looks like only one will not pop, but I'll be patient for that one...

I got a better, high powered air pump but am displeased with the new decibel level. Anyone have a way to quiet that puppy down? It's haning from the clothes bar in the closet... and actually gets a little quieter when the inlet sucks up my shirt next to it (of course then it doesn't bubble quite as much).

pics of the new setup manana.

Back
Top Bottom