Surgical spirit instead of isopropyl?

jamesvr6

As the title says for making oil/hash I have tried to use surgical spirit instead of isopropyl as I can not get this anywhere in the uk without a prescription!!

I tried for 3 days to evaporate the surgical spirit and I got about 95% gone but there was still something left - not sure could have been something that is added to make it surgical?? I thought this would work as it has the highest alcohol content I can find, any ideas???

Thank you!! :cool:

Re: Surgical spirit instead of isopropyl???

hey, just google "how to build a still" or "how to distill alcohol". start with some sprit (40%) vodka would prob. work best, due to lack of flavor/ impurities. good luck.

hey couple ?'s
As the title says for making oil/hash I have tried to use surgical spirit instead of isopropyl as I can not get this anywhere in the uk without a prescription!!

I tried for 3 days to evaporate the surgical spirit and I got about 95% gone but there was still something left - not sure could have been something that is added to make it surgical?? I thought this would work as it has the highest alcohol content I can find, any ideas???

Thank you!!
1st you said you tryed for 3 days? how? sunlight, range element, stove top?
2nd what volume of liquid was it? 1 liter, 5 liters?
3rd does it say on the bottle, anywhere the % of alcohol?
4th you could just run the surgical sprit through the still, if its not 99%
and last but certainly not least if you scrape a little bit of the hash oil with a thin (like 22 - 24 AWG) piece of wire with a little "u" at the end so you got a toke 1/4 to 1/2 the size of a chocolate chip, then burn it with a flame or hot metal does it SPIT AND SPUTTER or does it BURN WITH A BLUE FLAME? if it spits there is water in it, if burn with blue flame there is still alcohol in it and you will need to evaperate it off some more. hope this helps.
Drew

stove top ontop of water boiling
500ml
I think it is 70% odd
??? Run through a still, please explain
Thaks for the umput Drew, much appreciated. To be honest I think it has something added that is really difficult to get rid of. I think my best route will be to try some strong vodka - iso is nigh in impossible to get here.

Thanks!!

yes it does have somethingadded that is very hard to get rid of, water. it is 70% alcohol which evaperates easily, and 30% about 1/3rd water which does NOT evaperate easily at all. also you need to evaperate it over a dry heat ( water boiling produces steam which will curl around into the dish of hash oil making it wet ). vodka is too weak around 40% alcohol 60% water YOU NEED 99% ALCOHOL. A typical modern composition for Surgical Spirit BP is: ethanol, methanol, water, castor oil, methyl salicylate, diethyl phthalate. It has a strong smell of wintergreen due to the presence of the methyl salicylate. you dont want to smoke all that (water, castor oil, methyl salicylate, diethyl phthalate).
just GOOGLE "how a still works" lots of info.

stove top ontop of water boiling
500ml
I think it is 70% odd
Thaks for the umput Drew, much appreciated. To be honest I think it has something added that is really difficult to get rid of. I think my best route will be to try some strong vodka - iso is nigh in impossible to get here.

Thanks!!
Why???

Back
Top Bottom