Survey Says...

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
There is a song that says, "Before you learn to fly, learn to fall." However, it never says how we can start flying up rather than falling.

The key to success might be the ability to see yourself clearly.

Julie Barnes, coordinator of the University of Northern Iowa's Substance Abuse Services program, wants to take this chance to introduce a new service online for UNI students, E-Toke (electronic THC Online Knowledge Experience), a brief survey on marijuana use.

It takes only 10 to 15 minutes to complete the survey, and personalized feedback is given in the following areas: Dollar amount and percentage of income spent on pot, how your use of pot compares to other UNI students and to college students nationally, what negative consequences your marijuana use might have, an assessment of your readiness and ability to reduce usage, amount and frequency of marijuana use, amount of time under the influence compared to time spent studying, etc.

As a result, students can understand their marijuana usage and decide for themselves whether or not they have an addiction problem.

E-Toke is used at more than 195 colleges across the country. It is completely anonymous, free of charge, and people can access it through the Internet. Simply go to Untitled Document and click the photograph of the marijuana leaf.

Students don't have to provide their names. Even though some broader demographic data will be collected, such as year in school and gender, it only records "group data" and will not be used to any further accesses.

For instance, Ms. Barnes can access statistics that summarize how many women and men have completed the survey, and how often they are smoking, on average. But, there is no attempt to identify who is using the survey or what computers they have used to access E-Toke.

Julie Barnes explained the motivation behind the project, "I have wanted for some time to offer expanded resources concerning marijuana use. Although I work with lots of students who are required to see me following an arrest or a student conduct code violation, I am also a resource to students who haven't gotten into trouble but feel they may be using alcohol or other drugs too often."

Substance Abuse Services is a safe place to talk candidly about alcohol and drug use. It's completely confidential, so and parents, school, or the government will not be notified when a student seeks assistance. Their records are protected by Federal confidentiality rules (42 CFR part 2). The records of identity, substance use history, diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment are confidential. No record could be used to initiate or substantiate any criminal charges against people who use this service or conduct any investigation of them.

This new service gets promoted because marijuana is the most popular drug used in college. Far more young people use marijuana than any other drug. This is because students believe marijuana is not dangerous or not addictive. However, there are some facts students should know. First, Marijuana is addictive. Each year, more young adults enter drug treatment because they have a diagnosis of marijuana dependency.

Regular users could experience withdrawal symptoms such as insomnia, drug cravings, anger, irritability and aggression, even if they only use the drug for three days. It does not matter what reason makes people use marijuana or whether they are psychologically or physically addicted to the drug. Also, addiction to marijuana is not judged by how drug users feel about themselves.

The judgment will be made by doing the survey and see how E-Toke talks.

People know alcohol contributes to liver disease but they might not know that marijuana smoking can result in oral cancers. People who don't smoke realize that smoking cigarettes damages their lungs. While marijuana is usually smoked unfiltered (in joints, blunts, bongs and pipes) and smokers tend to drag deeper, their use of marijuana is more damaging to the lungs. Smoking four joints is like smoking an entire pack of cigarettes.

Marijuana is illegal for a reason. Depression, anxiety, and personality disturbances are not only causes of marijuana use, but also the result of marijuana use. Also, it makes people's existing problems worse because they are losing skills related to attention, memory and learning, which are important for them to deal with their existing problems. Even occasional users may experience negative consequences, such as lowered inhibitions and short-term memory problems.

Some people think that marijuana does not give a hangover. However, marijuana "hangover" is the fog including problems with alertness, coordination, depth perception (not good for driving), and a distorted sense of time. We have never heard of anyone dying because of marijuana overdose, but some people do end up using *hard drugs* because of their heavy use of marijuana. Also, approximately six to 11 percent of fatal accident victims test positive about marijuana use. A drug test can detect marijuana even months after use. When random drug testing is on the rise in schools and workplaces, it is not wise to use marijuana for any reason.

For the people who already realize they are addicted, E-Toke would be of very little value. They could access help for their addiction by contacting UNI's Substance Abuse Program, the same number as the health clinic, without completing the survey. Ms. Barnes has a lot of visitors visiting for different purposes and she is happy to help in whatever way she can.

E-Toke is intended to help people understand whether or not they might be addicted. Certainly, anyone engaging in illegal behavior is going to have some anxiety about others finding out, but this survey is designed for annonmity. More than 100 students have used the survey in the two weeks its been available..

Britain's main opposition party leader David Cameron recently got trouble about his marijuana use in the past. He might be an example of a person who learns how to fall before he learns how to fly. However, he was lucky. He was punished by the school at the age of 15 after he admitted smoking the drug while other people all went to the jail. Former U.S. President Bill Clinton was well acknowledged when he said that he had smoked marijuana, but said he had not inhaled. That's fine because we know that he is not addicted to marijuana but something else. The important thing is people know whether or not they are addictive by doing E-Toke and stop doing illegal things.

Source: Northern Iowan
Author: Yi-Hsuan Lee
Copyright: 2007 Northern Iowan

This survey is lame, it asked how you feel in a typical month and then it assumes its because of pot. It never asked the question, how do you feel because of pot, it asked how I felt in the past month. I haven't smoked in a month and got sick and the survey directly related my clean and sober state of being sick to pot. I'm calling bullshit on this one. But when I am smoking it said that %98 of college students use pot less than me. :)

Heres some information that they give you at the end of the survey
Is marijuana addictive?

Individuals who use marijuana are at risk for becoming addicted or dependent on it. There is a distinctive withdrawal syndrome for marijuana and THC. Symptoms include restlessness, irritability, mild agitation, insomnia, sleep disturbance, nausea, and cramping, as well as sweating, runny nose, and decreased appetite. People who are more vulnerable to becoming addicted to marijuana are young adults and people with psychiatric disorders. Men are more likely than women to become drug dependent and Caucasians are about twice as likely as African American individuals to be dependent. In one study, 83% of adolescents who had used marijuana more than 6 times developed dependence on the drug.

Research has demonstrated that genetics plays a role in marijuana abuse. Specifically, a person's genetic makeup has a significant influence on whether a person considers marijuana pleasurable. Clearly, those who derive more pleasure from a drug will use it more.

At heavy doses, marijuana has been noted to produce irritability, apathy, social isolation, paranoid thinking, lowered motivation, and impaired educational performance, even in people who are not impaired in other ways.

I'm going to smoke a bowl and see how irritable I get.

Haha, word, 98% use less marijuana that me as well. Best part was when they asked me to guess what percentage use more marijuana than me I guessed 2%, damn I'm good.

^^ yeah i had similar results....yeah right...

I GOT 98% TOO KIDS FROM Iowan ARE NOT LIKE KIDS FROM CAIL

I think if you smoke pot at all then they say 98% of college students don't smoke as much pot as you. I just look at is in this respect, its the first time I've ever been in the 98th percentile.

Definitely doesn't party like Central Michigan, though few colleges do.

Back
Top Bottom