Susanville's Only Medical Marijuana Dispensary Closes

Jacob Bell

If you're a medical marijuana user in the city of Susanville and a member of the CASA Collective, you're going to have to go out of town to get your medicine now.

On Tuesday, June 1, Tim Ziegler, the operator of CASA – Californians for Safe Access – a storefront collective, cooperative located in the old California Highway Patrol building just off Main Street in Susanville, confirmed the cooperative has closed.

Ziegler declined to discuss the reason for the closure, but he characterized the problem as a "landlord/tenant issue."

According to Ziegler, the cooperative has only closed temporarily, and he plans to reopen it soon.

"I'm going to reopen it," Ziegler said. "It's a tough economic time, just like everybody else."

Ziegler grew several crops a year indoors at the CASA site, located within the city limits of Susanville, using hydroponic growing methods and high-powered electric lights.

He also raises medical marijuana at an outdoor garden site on Johnstonville Road that is located in Lassen County.

Both the city and the county have zoning ordinances prohibiting the cultivation of medical marijuana, but Ziegler maintains his activities are legal under Proposition 215, the Compassionate Use Act, approved by California voters in 1996.

California law allows people suffering from AIDS, cancer, anorexia, chronic pain, arthritis, migraine and "any other illness for which marijuana provides relief" to grow or possess small amounts of marijuana with a doctor's recommendation.

Both of Ziegler's operations began before the city and the county passed the ordinances banning medical marijuana cultivation or dispensaries. Neither the city nor the county have taken any action to enforce those ordinances.

Ziegler staunchly defended his right to do what he's doing under California law in a 2006 interview with the newspaper.
"If I'm doing something wrong, how come I'm still here doing this two years later?" Ziegler asked.

News Hawk- Jacob Ebel 420 MAGAZINE
Source: lassennews.com
Copyright: Lassen County Times
Website: Susanville's only medical marijuana dispensary closes

Back
Top Bottom