Sweetener?

HigherTheHigh

So it's probably been asked loads of times but does adding sweeteners in the last remaining weeks really work I'm wanting to enhance taste as well as rapidly increase resin production.

Now I know that flavour is all down to the cure which I'm planning on a 4 week minimum I'm large containers around 5-10oz per container.

Not only flavour am I trying to enhance but oil production as I don't know wether or not I'm making oil out of the end product so resin enhancers are a plus, I am using Rock Resinator which is supposed to be one of the best so if anyone has any home made recipes to add on I would love to know :).

I'm growing Gelato and the reviews on Royal Queen tell me it's the greatest flavour they offer so I'm wondering if there is any tried and tested products or mixes I can make to add before I harvest.

I'm planning on chopping them at week 9-10 to get the best out of them, if they need longer I can maybe push to week 11 or when I have 50/50 cloudy amber trichs that there should tell me the buds matured too.

I'm growing in soil and currently in week 5 of flower running hps and also plan on running a 4 bar t5 light with uvb bubs and my current feed schedule I'm feeding them till harvest is:

2-1-4 Advanced Nutrients B-52 (2ml per L but im running 1ml to enhance the lighter leaves.
0-9-10 Plagron Green Sensation 1ml per L
0-7-8 Rock Resinator 1ml per L
0.35-0.01-0.01 Mother Pukka XXX Finest 1ml per L

I'm giving them very miniscule amounts of nitrogen so that I can enhance yellowing leaves as they were looking a little to bright.

I was thinking of adding Brown cane sugar to help with resin production and adding molasses to enhance flavour, so what's your theories?

Dumping a bunch of carbs into the root zone for the last week or two isn't going to do much. Nice cool nights and dry(er) days can help increase trich production. Trichomes are primarily a defense mechanism, environmental conditions are the best way to do it

Most of the finishing nutrients out there are simply going to add P and K to the mix, and the buds take good advantage of that to produce the "sweetness" that you are desiring, along with a great final yield. Many people have used molasses all through the grow and especially at the end, for "sweetness" but there is lack of evidence that the sugars actually serve this purpose in the grow. The sweetness that we desire in the taste of the pot is actually the plant being able to fully express itself and produce its full terpene and flavor profile, and a plant that has had everything that it needs will be able to do this, such as an organically grown plant. So what does the molasses do then? It is the perfect food for the microlife in the soil and as such it causes that microlife to thrive. The microlife break down elements in the soil and supply it to the plants, doing exactly what is needed... supplying all that micro nutrient stuff that the plants need to fully express themselves. Indirectly, the molasses changes the flavor profile of the produced pot... but not for the reasons you may think. As an organic grower, I use molasses all the time in my garden... as a food source for my microlife.

"molasses all the time in my garden... as a food source for my microlife."

Exactly, molasses doesn't make the buds sweeter. P and K plant food will allow your buds to fully produce the sweet flavors.

So apart from adding any liquids in do you think I should swap my Hps light out in the last 1-2 weeks to my led as the temps will come down quite a lot and if noticed I get better res production in colder temps.

Hey ther HtH, no expert, in fact barelt even a novice but, and im hoping someine else will chime in,
containers around 5-10oz per container.
I'm not wanting quoted on it but think this adds to problems when trying to avoid mould..
Maybe what I read was bullhonky but that much in the way of dank nugs sat together is a a little dicey.
I've been advised to keep upto a single oz max together while curing cause too much moist will bring on the mould.

Although I say this, am acutely aware nobody else has mentioned it.

Btw my last couple 'deliveries' had Rock used on them and there is a definite compactness and notes of the same flavour coming through.
Appears to be not a bad thing.

Good luck either way fella.

So apart from adding any liquids in do you think I should swap my Hps light out in the last 1-2 weeks to my led as the temps will come down quite a lot and if noticed I get better res production in colder temps.
I would not so drastically change the light spectrum in the middle of a grow, especially at the very end. If you can reduce the output of your HPS or raise it up a foot, that would simulate the same thing. You may have wondered why those switches were on your ballast so that you could lower the output... here is your answer.

<snipped the first part of the opening message>
I was thinking of adding Brown cane sugar to help with resin production and adding molasses to enhance flavour, so what's your theories?
Brown sugar is made with molasses. It is white sugar which has had the molasses added and that creates the brown color. The usual one available is going to be called Brown Sugar. Add more molasses and the sugar gets darker and it is then sold as Dark Brown Sugar.

Brown and white sugar plus one or more brands of molasses will be found in the same area of your supermarket. Most likely it will be called the baking section.

Found several articles available online which explain brown sugar & molasses. I am going to quote a paragraph from one of them.
...."The big difference between brown sugar and cane sugar has less to do with the actual components than with how they are processed. When it comes to sugar made from sugar cane, both brown sugar and cane sugar start out as cane juice. The cane juice that is destined to become brown sugar is filtered and then boiled until it crystallizes. The crystals are refined by being washed with a syrup solution and by being spun in a centrifuge. The result of the refinement process is white granulated sugar to which molasses is added to create brown sugar."....

I understand most of the reasoning behind why the administrators of this message board do not like outside links. If anyone wants to find the entire article for that above quote do a search (with your favorite search engine) using the following set of words:
Brown Sugar Vs. Cane Sugar

So far my thoughts are that all that is needed is just the molasses. Skip the brown sugar since there are sugars in the molasses plus the stuff has some micro types of nutrients in it. They will be in the brown sugar but diluted, plus the brown sugar is more expensive.

However, brown sugar is needed for making molasses cookies.

Beautiful early southeast Michigan morning, hoping yours will be as nice.

That's some great infringers bud thanks for that buddy!

I will start feeding some molasses tomorrow and keep you updated, I had to move them last night till earlier today and had bags over them, they ended up sweating and bud sites have been crushed :(.

Back
Top Bottom