SweetLeef's Hmong Thai Chile grow

SweetLeef

Hello,

Once a year, for the past three years I have had access to some AMAZING chiles, grown by some Hmong farmers.

They have so much flavor. They are so spicy, and they have the craziest colors.
20140908_0136551.jpg

Until I started growing cannabis, I thought it would be cool to take some seeds from a chile and grow my own amazing Hmong Chiles. But I had no idea if I could. Is that how they even work? Do I need to dry out the seeds first? Can I just put them in dirt and let them go?

When you don't know about plants, you really don't know about plants.

When you start growing cannabis and have a little beginners luck, you still don't have a clue as to what you are dong, but you have the confidence to give it a whirl.

About 2 weeks ago, I bought a Jiffy kit. With the tray, dome, 5 little jiffy trays that have a spot for 10 seeds each. Knowing I wouldn't have room for 50 chile plants if they all popped , hell I wouldn't have room if even 1/4 popped let alone 50 chile plants.

Anyway, Got the jiffy kit and dropped 2 seeds in each slot, figuring I would keep the strongest 1 or 2 of what ever popped up.

Finally tonight I found this!
20140908_0133481.jpg

and
20140908_0134091.jpg

So far 2 are up, 1 damn near, and who knows who else will pop. I may have to figure out how to separate the two. Though, I think I have a plan :)

So a couple of questions.

On a chile plant, does sex matter? Do I need a female plant to produce chilies?

What kind of light cycle do they need? Will they grow just fine under 12/12, or will they produce fruit no matter how long the lights are on?

I am really excited about growing these chiles! I can't wait to have the best damn peppers I've ever eaten, growing in my garden :)

Feel free to comment, question, and constructively criticize! I appreciate the help :high-five:

Day 2 for the twins. You can kind of see the other little one, but it's much less impressive.

I'll give these two about 8 more days and attempt to separate them an set them into their own homes.

20140909_092203.jpg

Hey Sweetleef, just snip off the weakest of the plants, leaving one in each pot. Pot them up to a bigger container sooner vs. later. Put them in a sunny window. All vegetables have a natural cycle just like MMJ. Most peppers will produce flowers/fruit beginning around 50 to 70 days based on the strain. The light cycle is not that important. I start peppers about now outside and bring them in to overwinter to get a big jump on next summer. They will fruit all winter in a south facing window.

Hey Sweetleef, just snip off the weakest of the plants, leaving one in each pot. Pot them up to a bigger container sooner vs. later. Put them in a sunny window. All vegetables have a natural cycle just like MMJ. Most peppers will produce flowers/fruit beginning around 50 to 70 days based on the strain. The light cycle is not that important. I start peppers about now outside and bring them in to overwinter to get a big jump on next summer. They will fruit all winter in a south facing window.

Awesome! Thanks for the infer OG :)

My plan was to cut the weakest of any two that pop in the same slot. Out of the three that popped, the two that are in the same slot are the strongest ones. They are neck and neck, so I'll attempt a separation in a few days. Want to make sure they are strong enough to move, but haven't grown into each other yet. I have a LOT more seeds available if something should happen and still more could pop up. I will probably put one in a window, and keep one in my tent as long as it's not in the way of my canna plants :)

You got a lot going! Looking like fun! Subbed! :circle-of-love:

Thanks for subbing up Sis! This will be a fun one for sure :)

Alrighty then,

Little Chile update!

On the 13th, the three girls got new homes.

I separated the two that popped in the same slot and put them in their new homes :)
20140913_204655.jpg

I used a good inch or two of the regular potting soil I popped them in as a buffer, once they grow through that they will be in the same Supersoil I use for my canna-ladies.

Here they are 5 days after transplant. Two are in the tent and the weaker one is in a window.

20140918_115151.jpg
20140918_115132.jpg
20140918_115126.jpg

Hope all is well :)

Such cute little babies!! I'm glad you were able to separate the two in the same pot instead of having to snip one. :circle-of-love:

Little check in on the Chilies :)

They are moving right along. They grow so much slower than cannabis :)

Anyway here are the girls in the tent

20140928_202642.jpg
20140928_202351.jpg
20140928_202305.jpg
20140928_202341.jpg

I will snap a pic of the window sill girls tomorrow when the sun is up. That's right I said girls. :)

I took the dirt with the seeds still in them from the other jiffy slots that didn't pop and one more popped up. Will most likely end up snipping the new one, but may make an attempt and saving her.

:high-five:

Here we are a couple of weeks later, I still haven't snapped pictures of the window girls.

Anyway,

20141014_234129.jpg
20141014_234123.jpg
20141014_234114.jpg

You can see little buds forming. We'll have chilies before we know it!

Hope all is well!

both of the plants have opened one flower each, one is white and I couldn't get a good picture today because my battery was too low, But I snapped these pics of the other plant that has a purple and white flower

20141027_144431.jpg
20141027_144749.jpg

I love these little plant almost as much as my cannabis plants.

Growing stuff is cool :)

Here a couple of pics I snapped a couple of days ago!

20141107_220045.jpg
20141107_220022.jpg

Flowers are really opening up and they are getting a little bigger every day. Still quite small plants, I think that's because they were under 12/12 for a month or so.

Either way, if I get 1 chile off each plant I have seeds for another round :)

Hope all is well!

They look pretty by themselves, but even prettier under LEDs! I think this grow is convincing me more than cannabis grows, to get LED lighting. ;) I love chilis, and you seem to be growing them awesomely. :goodjob:

I would take a lot of the blooms off and just let the plant veg a little longer. I'm growing a Carolina Reaper now in Hi-Brix Doc Bud's blend.

They look pretty by themselves, but even prettier under LEDs! I think this grow is convincing me more than cannabis grows, to get LED lighting. ;) I love chilis, and you seem to be growing them awesomely. :goodjob:

Thanks MasterKief!

I am super happy with my LED's! They are stupid bright, they stay cool, my last round of cannabis produced the most dense nugs! Pretty sweet. I am really getting a kick out of the way these chili plants grow. They are fun for sure. I'll be starting another round in another month or two probably. I'm gonna try and sell the chills I grow to the restaurant I work for :) I certainly won't be able to eat all of the chills that these two plants produce, but it may be worth it to grow a few more :)

I would take a lot of the blooms off and just let the plant veg a little longer. I'm growing a Carolina Reaper now in Hi-Brix Doc Bud's blend.

Thanks for the advise, High!

I will definitely do that with my next round of chilis, These ones I just wanted to let do their thing to kinda get a feel for them as I plant on growing them for some time I will be willing to try many things. I am surprised at how stout the plants are. In my head they were going to grow more like a little tree than a bush. Pretty cool plants.

Feel free to post pictures of your Reapers here, anytime! I'd love to see those babies, and you can keep us updated, only if you want to :)

Alright, lets take a look at the chilis tonight!

Chilies are coming in. The white flower plant is a couple weeks faster then the one with purple flowers.

20141128_215757.jpg

I am stoked I got a purple flowered plant because it's giving me my favorite black/purple chilies. They are so cool The outside will be black/purple and the inside is a beautiful deep green!
20141128_215815.jpg
20141128_215825.jpg

The white flowers plant and yellow chilis.
20141128_215835.jpg
20141128_215847.jpg
20141128_215856.jpg

The flowers on the purple-producer look awesome. I've never grown purple-tinged chili flowers, or purple chilis. Good work!

I going to prune mine back, the four main stems are just a too long. I'll cut them back about a foot on each branch and let the middle grow up to the same highth. They grow very fast after you get a nice size rootball going. I'll probably clone at least 4 ,I already cloned one awhile back .

Back
Top Bottom