Hey ss i was wondering how many ml are in the capsules u use i wanted to know cause I don't currently have any capsules but I wud still like to get a measurement of how many I would need to take once they get here?

Most of us use size 00 capsules Jones. They hold .91 ml, so just under a ml.

Hi Sue!

I think this the correct thread for this question, so here I go!

A few weeks ago, I helped an elderly couple setup a tent grow in their home. They couldn't afford to keep buying Blue Dream Tincture from the dispensary, so I got them setup and they are now flowering 3 Blue Dream plants in 5 gallon Hempys under a Growant panel. So easy for Carol to maintain, just water and feed really, very easy for her. Her husband Bill is afflicted with Alzheimers.

Have you any knowledge or experience making tinctures with alcohol? I have done it a few times, and have had good results with the Magical Butter machine and Everclear, but wondered if you might be able inform, if you have any tincture specific knowledge that you'd be so kind to share?

Thanks

Peace
Keith

I make tinctures the Old Way.

1) Put fresh or dried leaves, trims and/or mini-buds in a mason jar. Give it some headroom so you can shake it a few times the first week.
2) Pour 80- proof vodka or Bicardi 141 over the cannabis (Use the highest proof you can find), until it just covers the material. I use a chopstick to push any floaters down into the solvent.
3) Close tightly and shake vigorously for about a minute. You can shake it once a day for about a week. If you forget, no biggie.
4) Put in a cool dark place, like a base cabinet for at least 1 month
5) After it has brewed, strain it through cheesecloth, squeezing out all the liquid you can.

The mash can be dried and ground into cooking herbs. Just add a few pinches or more to anything you cook. No decarb necessary, as the mixture cures naturally. I found out that 1/4 cup of ground herb per pound of ground meat (for chili or sloppy Joes) WILL produce an effect. Lesser doses reduce joint pain enough that your OTC pain relievers will knock the pain down enough for you to function.

I also dry and grind small fan leaves, trim and larfy buds directly into herb. These are quite potent. Don't underestimate the material, just because it isn't Good Housekeeping beautiful.

Tincture may be mixed into any alcoholic, fruity, or V8 drink. You can also evaporate off the alcohol for other extractions.

If you want to use the cycles of the Moon to enhance extraction, start your brew at the dark moon. As the moon waxes, it pulls more cannabinoids from the plant material.

Every brew is different, so you need to experiment with how much to use for the effects you are looking for.

Hey ss i was wondering how many ml are in the capsules u use i wanted to know cause I don't currently have any capsules but I wud still like to get a measurement of how many I would need to take once they get here?

How many you take will depend on the finished strength of your filling. Each batch is different. You test a couple hours before bedtime, so you aren't out and about when they kick in.

As usual, you take two or three, then adjust to what effect you are looking for.

How many you take will depend on the finished strength of your filling. Each batch is different. You test a couple hours before bedtime, so you aren't out and about when they kick in.

As usual, you take two or three, then adjust to what effect you are looking for.
Yea but since I don't have my capsules yet im still waiting for them to show up in the mail I take it by syringe and I was wondering how many ml are in one capsule so I know how much to put in the syringe i have to use till my capsules show up.

"SweetSue - Will she be doing an infused oil? The MB2 is great for that, and a capsule regimen may be easier to follow. Alcohol tinctures burn. Of course they could add it into a drink, couldn't they? :battingeyelashes:

Trying this on a phone for the first time...
Carol is comfortable with the tinctures as she just adds drops to whatever food or beverage he is consuming. Bill refuses to take any capsules, he is confused and thinks someone is trying to harm him. It's better and easier for Carol if he doesn't know he is taking medicine most of the time. Of course that can change daily due to confusion and anger, both Alzheimers symptoms. I did try to get her to start with Oil based cannameds, but she is fairly adamant about continuing with alcohol based tincture. I've seen my son benefit so much from cannacaps, but I don't really want to push her past her comfort zone. She is an older lady, 82 I think, but still very sharp mentally.

Thanks Sue, I appreciate your input and the resource threads you so diligently prepare and attend to daily.

MAJOR :hug: to you sweetie

Peace
Keith

Most of us use size 00 capsules Jones. They hold .91 ml, so just under a ml.
Oh lol i didnt see this at first lol sry bout tht but yea thanx tht really helps out alot till my capsules show up and dang i was spot on almost lol i started by trying 1 ml and after about an hour ana half or 2 i start feeling super heavey and tired lol

Thanks AKgramma,

Do you decarb your fresh or dried produce?

I have many gallon bags of fresh frozen trim and leaves, started saving them when I began making Oil for my son (suffers from Neurofibromatosis type 1).

Thought about testing out a few runs with these frozen bits, I used to just compost cuttings!

Thank you
Peace
Keith

Thanks AKgramma,

Do you decarb your fresh or dried produce?

I have many gallon bags of fresh frozen trim and leaves, started saving them when I began making Oil for my son (suffers from Neurofibromatosis type 1).

Thought about testing out a few runs with these frozen bits, I used to just compost cuttings!

Thank you
Peace
Keith

I don't decarb with heat unless making brownies or other baked goodies for a party. The brewing or curing process "decarbs" naturally over time. That's why we say a month to cure or to brew tinctures. The cannabinoids mature over time on their own. I guess decarbing in the oven is to speed things up, esp if you're looking for a high.

You can use fresh, dried, or frozen material for tinctures and other extractions. The main thing is to preserve them so they don't grow any mold.

That Everclear is crazy expensive, and being able to reclaim 80% of it is a delight. That distiller is one of the hardest-working machines in my apartment.
Once you own a good distiller it's my understanding that you no longer need the Everclear. They say just buy the cheapest cask wine, whatever, that you can find, and after a couple of passes through the distiller it's as good or better than Everclear, percentage wise. Certainly an attractive proposition where the government imposes outrageous excise/taxes on vodka-category drinks.

Sounds like you might be needing a second still/solvent reclaimer there, Sweet Sue. :blushsmile:

I'd like to ask a question about the Magical Butter machine. The instruction manual has a setting for cooking oil, which is 1 hour at 160ºF. I have been making topical oil using a crock pot, and I do 4 hours on/4 hours off/4 hours on, at temps close to 200ºF. I found this type of method on a number of websites when I started out.

Since these two methods are miles apart, who's right?

I'd like to ask a question about the Magical Butter machine. The instruction manual has a setting for cooking oil, which is 1 hour at 160ºF. I have been making topical oil using a crock pot, and I do 4 hours on/4 hours off/4 hours on, at temps close to 200ºF. I found this type of method on a number of websites when I started out.

Since these two methods are miles apart, who's right?

I've never followed that recommendation of an hour. None of mine were less than two hours, and I believe Dave Groomer uses a standard 8 hours. I usually cut it off at four. The MB2 agitates the mash regularly, more regularly than most cooks do manually. That agitation speeds the extraction process. I believe that's why they recommend an hour. I may be wrong about that, so don't quote me as an authority. Lol! I'd be surprised if they didn't have testing to back up that recipe, but I've never asked.

Has anyone else asked? They're a sponsor, so getting an answer should be easy enough.

I've read some interesting reports over the years of oil done in a crock pot for a week or longer that purportedly will knock your socks off. There's many ways to skin this cat.

I've never followed that recommendation of an hour. None of mine were less than two hours, and I believe Dave Groomer uses a standard 8 hours. I usually cut it off at four. The MB2 agitates the mash regularly, more regularly than most cooks do manually. That agitation speeds the extraction process. I believe that's why they recommend an hour. I may be wrong about that, so don't quote me as an authority. Lol! I'd be surprised if they didn't have testing to back up that recipe, but I've never asked.
Has anyone else asked? They're a sponsor, so getting an answer should be easy enough.
I've read some interesting reports over the years of oil done in a crock pot for a week or longer that purportedly will knock your socks off. There's many ways to skin this cat.

I haven't got a week and I need my socks, but I can do 4-8 hours easy! Thanks SweetSue :).

I've never tried it, but a lot of people use a basic curling iron. I believe they put the bud between two pieces of parchment paper. Do a search on YouTube.

I don't see why a hot iron set on dry wouldn't work. It's all about the pressure and heat level.

I tried it but only with a bit of leaf; too soon, but it might work...My autos are all flower and I am going to have to sacrifice somebody because they all need more space - unless I run the light constantly and "hot bunk" them - can't believe I've come this far with your help and encouragement since I first timidly googled "cannabis" on the computer last spring - and was shut out because apparently my parental control was set on default at "under 14"...

Still, I tried my first oil extraction last this week with scrag leaves and prunings and sunflower oil as I didn't have any olive oil in the cupboard. It looked and tasted horrible and I was very tempted to chuck it as it couldn't be very strong, surely, as nothing is ready yet. Still, I thought that was a bit poor spirited so I managed four or five teaspoons of it stirred into sour cream with lemon juice.
Nothing happened.
Nothing happened for ages.
Then suddenly it was all I could do to get to my bed, where I sunk down dizzily into marshmallow and candyfloss, weirdly happy, and was out for the count... Woke up late for work and ravenously hungry.

Amazing stuff. If this is just immature leaves, what can the buds do?

So far I have found that cannabis has done everything positive that it has been said to do. Now for the big one - I need it to cure this cancer, and I really think it will! I have left chemo - see my oncologist next week - I was getting a strong sense of running up the down escalator - and am now moving forward with the "herbal remedy".

So far I have found that cannabis has done everything positive that it has been said to do. Now for the big one - I need it to cure this cancer, and I really think it will! I have left chemo - see my oncologist next week - I was getting a strong sense of running up the down escalator - and am now moving forward with the "herbal remedy".

I wish you all the best in killing that cancer! :circle-of-love:

Sorry, thought afterwards that this isn't really the right thread for that post. But it feels just like chatting like friends and I didn't think before I typed.

What would everyone say is the best way to get the purest, most translucent oil - is it the heat-pressing? or this thing about extraction with frozen alcohol? Or what? And in looking for purity and high concentration, do you lose valuable "impurities" - terpenes or other such stuff?

edited to say - How odd; for some reason there is no "like" or "thank" button for the posts above. I like them and a heartfelt THANKS! anyway!

Sorry, thought afterwards that this isn't really the right thread for that post. But it feels just like chatting like friends and I didn't think before I typed.

What would everyone say is the best way to get the purest, most translucent oil - is it the heat-pressing? or this thing about extraction with frozen alcohol? Or what? And in looking for purity and high concentration, do you lose valuable "impurities" - terpenes or other such stuff?

Au contraire mon amie .... a post about good results from early growth leaves totally belongs here. :goodjob:

Hi Nixie - your question is difficult to answer. There are many many methods for extraction all of which have their supporters and detractors.

To narrow the scope of possible answers would you mind sharing some background? Are you taking medical cannabis now? How do you take it? What do you take? How often? What dose ? Are you able to grow your own? What types of products do you have access to (if you are buying it)?

Back
Top Bottom