I found this but have no way to validate or confirm the statements.

Hemp Seed Oil
Although hemp seed oil may seem like it should always be the carrier oil of choice, it is a generally inefficient carrier of CBD on its own. To reach its full potential, it must be mixed with oils with higher bioavailability, such as MCT oil. That is why we add fractionated coconut oil to our full spectrum tinctures.

Another thing to note is that some companies try to pass hemp seed oil as being the same as CBD oil. This is not true, so make sure you are buying a product with verified levels of CBD in it. Any reputable CBD company should clearly display the amount of CBD in their products and preferably have test results to support their claims.

Part of what we’re dealing with Oldbear is our better-than-average understanding of what carrier oils do and a different idea of what we mean by bioavailability. To me it has nothing to do with the metabolism in the liver, which is why they choose an MCT - to get to the liver faster and be metabolized. I’m looking for ways to prevent early entry into the liver, so I’m more drawn to something long-chained. I’m hoping for some additional boost to the immune cells.

I can see an argument for olive oil being more efficient as a carrier from a saturation standpoint - nothing beats EVOO in this regard. I’m curious as to whether hemp seed will absorb enough to be appropriate as a carrier in place of olive oil.

I guess that would depend on the cannabinoid load you needed in the medicine you’re producing. Hmm.... where to find the saturation level of hemp seed vs EVOO?

I find it unbearably exasperating that we lost all our blogs and links. Sometimes it frustrates me beyond belief. :straightface:

There was a study done by the Italians to prove that olive oil was the best choice for a fatty acid, and in that study they found that olive had the best infusion rates.

That’s lost in blogs. *sigh* It was important enough that I made sure to link it in blogs.

Now it’s lost to the wind. If I’m smart I’ll learn from this, but then backing up is one of my worst practices. Now it bites me in the ass.

Until I find it, or someone else finds something to show a comparison of olive to hemp as a carrier choice, I’m sticking to olive, a proven winner. Pisses me off though, to know it’s lost somewhere in these 330 pages, or over in Cajun’s thread, and I can’t find it.

I find it unbearably exasperating that we lost all our blogs and links. Sometimes it frustrates me beyond belief. :straightface:

There was a study done by the Italians to prove that olive oil was the best choice for a fatty acid, and in that study they found that olive had the best infusion rates.

That’s lost in blogs. *sigh* It was important enough that I made sure to link it in blogs.

Now it’s lost to the wind. If I’m smart I’ll learn from this, but then backing up is one of my worst practices. Now it bites me in the ass.

Until I find it, or someone else finds something to show a comparison of olive to hemp as a carrier choice, I’m sticking to olive, a proven winner. Pisses me off though, to know it’s lost somewhere in these 330 pages, or over in Cajun’s thread, and I can’t find it.

Here's what I found...am I close?

This website article:
Clinical Study Praises Olive Oil-Based Extractions
mentions
"Four Italian researchers did just that in a clinical study published last November in the Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology."
That link takes you to the NIH summary page, but the study itself is behind a pay-wall.

There is also this pdf file called "Cannabinoids concentration variability in cannabis olive oil galenic preparations" which is over my head but is done by Italians and may be the paper behind the pay-wall. If it is, yay!

Here's what I found...am I close?

This website article:
Clinical Study Praises Olive Oil-Based Extractions
mentions
"Four Italian researchers did just that in a clinical study published last November in the Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology."
That link takes you to the NIH summary page, but the study itself is behind a pay-wall.

There is also this pdf file called "Cannabinoids concentration variability in cannabis olive oil galenic preparations" which is over my head but is done by Italians and may be the paper behind the pay-wall. If it is, yay!

They were all interesting reading, but not what I was looking for. Amazing how much one can understand after a couple years of research papers. Lol!

Thanks Shed. Learned a thing or two there. :hug:

Hiya SweetSue,

If I want to save notes, I just copy and paste to notepad, save as "<put title here>", and it goes on a removeable drive (safety if c: crashes). It works for me. Cya

what about the Holy Grail thread?

Do you suppose olive vs hemp oil is based on cost? Interesting too is that the Canadian Licensed Producers of edible oils are NOT using olive or hemp.

As anyone addressed the Blogs with @420 or anyone

Hmmmmmm
Guess I just did didn't I

I’m looking for ways to prevent early entry into the liver, so I’m more drawn to something long-chained. I’m hoping for some additional boost to the immune cells.

I can see an argument for olive oil being more efficient as a carrier from a saturation standpoint - nothing beats EVOO in this regard. I’m curious as to whether hemp seed will absorb enough to be appropriate as a carrier in place of olive oil.

I guess that would depend on the cannabinoid load you needed in the medicine you’re producing. Hmm.... where to find the saturation level of hemp seed vs EVOO?

This is too funny. Just yesterday my grade 7 granddaughter was explaining the experiments they have been doing testing saturation levels at different temperatures of different salts and sugars.

Now I have a great science project to suggest. But alas I wont because Mama Bear and Grandma Bear would feed me to the coyotes.

A partial answer....

What Makes Coconut Oil Better?
So what exactly makes coconut oil better than other cooking options? It all comes down to the saturation of the fat. The higher the saturation levels, the easier it is for the fat to absorb the THC and other cannabinoids found within cannabis. Coconut oil itself is made up of 90% saturated fat. On the flip side, olive oil is made up of only 15%. With marijuana being a fat soluble item, it needs this higher fat level to ensure and effective infusion. While butter and olive oil will still do the trick, edibles made with coconut oil have a proven reputation of creating more potent, healthier products.

Based on this, the ability to absorb cannabinoids is based on the saturated fats content of the oil. The higher the saturated fat content, the more cannabinoids it can absorb.

So we have a very basic method of comparing different oils.

The G7 science team has proven that for most solutions, adding heat increases the ability to absorb. Thats a definite factor in these hallways as demonstrated in the Holy Grail thread and discussions of different times and temperatures.

A partial answer....

What Makes Coconut Oil Better?
So what exactly makes coconut oil better than other cooking options? It all comes down to the saturation of the fat. The higher the saturation levels, the easier it is for the fat to absorb the THC and other cannabinoids found within cannabis. Coconut oil itself is made up of 90% saturated fat. On the flip side, olive oil is made up of only 15%. With marijuana being a fat soluble item, it needs this higher fat level to ensure and effective infusion. While butter and olive oil will still do the trick, edibles made with coconut oil have a proven reputation of creating more potent, healthier products.

Based on this, the ability to absorb cannabinoids is based on the saturated fats content of the oil. The higher the saturated fat content, the more cannabinoids it can absorb.

So we have a very basic method of comparing different oils.

The G7 science team has proven that for most solutions, adding heat increases the ability to absorb. Thats a definite factor in these hallways as demonstrated in the Holy Grail thread and discussions of different times and temperatures.

Curious....my recollection of the Italian study I'm still chasing down was that they compared EVOO as a cannabinoid carrier against other oils, and found olive to be the superior carrier. Heat would have been a factor, I'm sure. My assumption since then was that this was why medicinal oils dispensed professionally trended towards olive. Maybe I shouldn't have assumed. Lol!

So if saturation levels aren't driving the choice for olive oil, what is? I'm going to California next week for a brief visit. I'll see if I can get some answers on this while I'm there.

I don't dispute at all that coconut oil makes a more "potent" product, if euphoric response is what we're basing that potency on. Olive oil's ability to get the cannabinoids absorbed into the lymphatic syatem makes olive the more "potent" carrier oil IMO.

That's good info Oldbear! Do we know what "added heat" is best then? Someone asked me why we do infusions in the 160 degree range and all I could come up with was that's what the MB machine uses :). I think it was discussed in the Decarb thread but I could not remember the explanation.

If you're working with decarbed buds you don't need more heat, only enough to get the infusion done. The concern is that longer decarb times will degrade THC. It actually takes lots more time to cause significant degradation than we think, but when working with valuable commodities it's best to err on the side of caution.

Shed I don’t have an answer to optimum temperatures and time. I think we have determined that a range of both provides acceptable results.

I do think I now understand why a second run of olive oil on the same cannabis yields good results

Shed I don’t have an answer to optimum temperatures and time. I think we have determined that a range of both provides acceptable results.

I do think I now understand why a second run of olive oil on the same cannabis yields good results

Good point.

Lol! ......It's not about making a concentrate, it's about making a quality concentrate.
Amen Sue, I love my new Instant Pot. I made some killer BBQ ribs a while back, even added some sprinkles of decarbed flower. Was a real treat for the interested crew at our house. I offer you many & greatly deserved props for your excellent database here regarding medicinal oils. I am a US Vet learning & just beginning to understand these healing plants. Hugs headed your way.

Amen Sue, I love my new Instant Pot. I made some killer BBQ ribs a while back, even added some sprinkles of decarbed flower. Was a real treat for the interested crew at our house. I offer you many & greatly deserved props for your excellent database here regarding medicinal oils. I am a US Vet learning & just beginning to understand these healing plants. Hugs headed your way.

Aww... I love hugs Old Timer. I’ll take all I can get. Lol!

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

:welcome: A hearty welcome to cannabis brainstorming central. The place can always use another aging hippy, and a vet at that.

Hey, hope your Thanksgiving was scrumptious. Just wanted to toss that out for the last time today. Lol!

Thanks for the praise. I’ll be sharing that credit with the brilliant and eager lab rats that surround me. We have this seemingly insatiable desire to learn all we can about cannabis and the ECS. I’m just the passionate researcher and wordsmith. :battingeyelashes:

Ask any questions and please, feel free to share what works for you. We come across the most amazing things on this journey. Good to meet you. :hug:

I did mention my love of hugs? :love:

Back
Top Bottom