Shiggity, when I do my fresh oil batches I watch the bubbles. Small, uniform-sized bubbles are CO2. When they don't appear any more and there's no movement in the oil the decarb is complete.

I found an article online that tested decarb at 200F (93.3C) they tested no water bath, 1hour, and 1 hour 40 min. The lab showed all THC decarboxylated at 1 hour 40 min.
420-magazine-mobile433248993.jpg

Damn Shiggity, you're as fast as me. :laughtwo: Thank you for that post. Interesting, so we can decarb in boiling water. :hmmmm:

Why do they have different values for total THC in the samples? Were they not identical samples from the same plant? If they're different samples this becomes a viable option.

Also, do you know why submerging a sealed bag in boiling water would increase the water content of the specimen? This didn't make sense to me.

One hour in and I am getting big bubbles. I had to transfer some of the leaf/oil mixture to another mason jar. One inch of headspace is NOT enough. It pushed some oil out of the jars so I am going to lose some. I did lick my fingers though and I can already feel a buzz lmao. I wonder how much soaked into my skin lol.
420-magazine-mobile538178210.jpg

This is a fresh harvest run Shiggity? Those big bubbles are water, if it is, and you need to let it escape some way. It is powerful oil, and your buds are frostier than most of us pull off. :laughtwo:

Good article. I now understand why there's so much variation in the water content. It's entirely possible that there was more moisture in the batch he dropped into that bag. We all know how much variation you can get from one part of the plant to another. Apparently that carries through with smaller bits of cannabis.

Makes you glad you work with a friendly plant, eh? :laughtwo:

Reading the article it's apparent the perfect decarb time is somewhere in that last 40 minutes. How nice of him to work this out for us. I'll have to leave a thank you. :love: I'm fond of the new idea of leaving some THCa in the THC-heavy strains with little CBD content. Turns out THCa works on inflammation in a way that mimics the action of CBD. I'd think that hour would be enough in a case like that.

If you pull the oil before the CO2 has all released the THC values will be higher. The last of the bubbles are CBDa being decarbed.

Here is a link to the article in question and a video. Perhaps we can work it out together Marijuana Growers HQ – Decarboxylation: Marijuana Alchemy

The loss of THC in the 3rd sample does seem to be explained by the additional water content but I'm not sure how the moisture got there.

The loss of THC was because it was converted either into CBN or a component they don't yet test for. We know so little yet about the "minor cannabinoids".

This is a fresh harvest run Shiggity? Those big bubbles are water, if it is, and you need to let it escape some way. It is powerful oil, and your buds are frostier than most of us pull off. :laughtwo:

Good article. I now understand why there's so much variation in the water content. It's entirely possible that there was more moisture in the batch he dropped into that bag. We all know how much variation you can get from one part of the plant to another. Apparently that carries through with smaller bits of cannabis.

Makes you glad you work with a friendly plant, eh? :laughtwo:

Reading the article it's apparent the perfect decarb time is somewhere in that last 40 minutes. How nice of him to work this out for us. I'll have to leave a thank you. :love: I'm fond of the new idea of leaving some THCa in the THC-heavy strains with little CBD content. Turns out THCa works on inflammation in a way that mimics the action of CBD. I'd think that hour would be enough in a case like that.

If you pull the oil before the CO2 has all released the THC values will be higher. The last of the bubbles are CBDa being decarbed.

Yes this is a fresh run Sue. After spreading out to three jars with more headspace I now have the lids slightly cracked to allow the water out. I think next time I will use quart jars half empty for this reason and leave the lids loose.

Canna Water Update

It's been over three hours since I drank that 8 oz of canna water, and I haven't taken my morning capsule yet because I'm caught in a really nice rolling buzz. Evidentially there were more than a few cannabinoids left behind in the juice.

This will become part of my diet when I have it available. The apple cider vinegar completely covers any weedy cannabis taste and the stevia makes it drinkable. I'm pretty pleased with this new component to my diet and the way it lets me get even more from the plant.

Working with fresh harvest oil has forced me to rethink my dosing strategy. This oil is so potent I think I'll have to go to size 0 capsules. I'll be ordering some today.

Yes this is a fresh run Sue. After spreading out to three jars with more headspace I now have the lids slightly cracked to allow the water out. I think next time I will use quart jars half empty for this reason and leave the lids loose.

I like what you're doing here. I'm excited about the possibilities. I believe I'll try this with my CBD Critical Cure in Friday.

Education Alert

Green Flower Media is starting up their weekly live streaming classes with one on The ECS 101 with Samantha Miller. It's on tomorrow at 5 PM PST. I know I'll be there, but I find the word "amandamide" to be sexually stimulating. :laughtwo: Good Lord, let me meet a man who gets turned on by the sound of "Tetrahydrocannabinol ". :dreamy:

Canna Water Update

It's been over three hours since I drank that 8 oz of canna water, and I haven't taken my morning capsule yet because I'm caught in a really nice rolling buzz. Evidentially there were more than a few cannabinoids left behind in the juice.

This will become part of my diet when I have it available. The apple cider vinegar completely covers any weedy cannabis taste and the stevia makes it drinkable. I'm pretty pleased with this new component to my diet and the way it lets me get even more from the plant.

Working with fresh harvest oil has forced me to rethink my dosing strategy. This oil is so potent I think I'll have to go to size 0 capsules. I'll be ordering some today.

Wow this page is flying this morning! Good to know about cider vinegar. Think it would handle a skunk strain? My goto spicy V8 didn't make a dent in that taste, just made more of it. :rofl:

For the capsules you could just titrate like we do with CCO. That gives more flexibility that just switching capsule size. For what it's worth.

I was reading about using water with your oil infusion

I think yer onto something for sure Sue

My next test will be this method for sure..

Oh Scorpio, we have Shiggity to thank for this brilliant idea. :love:

So after 2 hours there were definitely no Co2 bubbles so I poured the jars into a fine mesh nylon bag used for brewing that I placed inside a large brewing funnel. Twisting the bag got most of the oil out and using a rubber gloved hand I squeezed the rest of the oil out. Looks like I will yield about 500ml of the original 600ml oil. Which is good considering I am not doing the water reclaim method. I do have to get the water out of the left jar. I will pipette most of the oil off and then heat to evaporate the water left in the oil.

I already have size "0" capsules because the "00" looked to big for my lady to swallow. And she definitely won't do suppositories! So now looks like I have a half liter of fresh harvest oil to play with!! So excited!
420-magazine-mobile1270716376.jpg

So after 2 hours there were definitely no Co2 bubbles so I poured the jars into a fine mesh nylon bag used for brewing that I placed inside a large brewing funnel. Twisting the bag got most of the oil out and using a rubber gloved hand I squeezed the rest of the oil out. Looks like I will yield about 500ml of the original 600ml oil. Which is good considering I am not doing the water reclaim method. I do have to get the water out of the left jar. I will pipette most of the oil off and then heat to evaporate the water left in the oil.

I already have size "0" capsules because the "00" looked to big for my lady to swallow. And she definitely won't do suppositories! So now looks like I have a half liter of fresh harvest oil to play with!! So excited!
420-magazine-mobile1270716376.jpg

To further potentiate the oil give it 24 hours in the fridge Shiggity. I'm assuming you used liquid sunflower lecithin?

Well done buckaroo. :high-five: I want to hear the potency report after you test it out.

Oops I thought you meant no lecithin for these. Didn't see it in the recipe. Next time how much should I use? And when should I add it?

Since I don't use the lecithin do I need to wait 24 hours?

You can add lecithin now and let it sit or use the oil without. It just won't be as potent an effect without.

I just finished my 2nd batch of oil....
Coconut and kilamanjaro sativa.... I also added lecithin this round

I won't be doing more till I harvest...so a month at least

Tomorrow will be a focused test on the effects of these oils on me....
Fun fun fun

Back
Top Bottom