I was using my double boiler to boil off the everclear i used to make the cco. So should I be getting my everclear mixture to that high of a temp when I'm evaporating the alcohol??
Since no one else has answered...

No, you don't want to use that high of a temperature to evaporate alcohol, stick with water in the lower half of a double boiler.

Make sure to do this in a well ventilated area, preferably in a covered area outside.

No open flame or possible source of electrical spark nearby.

Stay upwind or use a fan to blow fumes away from you.

Vapor recovery, if possible, would be ideal.

If I missed any of the warnings, someone please complete the list.

Cheers from the darkside

I will greatwolf......nice segway!When evaporating alcohol, we use two glass dishes. One slightly larger than the next. Oil and alcohol in your inner, boiling water (replaced constantly and allowed to overflow as you replace it) in your larger one. Patience as the alcohol evaporates. We do it this way to ensure that there are no spark or possible ignition sources around the alcohol.

I will greatwolf......nice segway!When evaporating alcohol, we use two glass dishes. One slightly larger than the next. Oil and alcohol in your inner, boiling water (replaced constantly and allowed to overflow as you replace it) in your larger one. Patience as the alcohol evaporates. We do it this way to ensure that there are no spark or possible ignition sources around the alcohol.

I use a Home Distiller to reclaim 85% of the alcohol with no exterior fumes. I then cook off the remaining alcohol and start my decarb in the much smaller double boiler with little to no noticeable alcohol fumes.

:cco::smokin::love::cco: Good luck!!

Okay, but he asked about water in the lower half of a double boiler, so that's what I answered...

My mistake greatwolf. He and I had been talking about both oils in PMs and I got confused. He's making CCO. :oops:

I use a Home Distiller to reclaim 85% of the alcohol with no exterior fumes. I then cook off the remaining alcohol and start my decarb in the much smaller double boiler with little to no noticeable alcohol fumes.

:cco::smokin::love::cco: Good luck!!

This is my preferred method too. That Everclear is crazy expensive, and being able to reclaim 80% of it is a delight. That distiller is one of the hardest-working machines in my apartment. I distill water daily for my plants, use it to distill the Everclear to stronger concentrations, and then use it to reduce the CCO wash.

Anybody else wonder what happened to all of Cajun's equipment and notes?

Yes I would like to know about the distiller as well since 25 bux for a bottle of everclear is crazy expensive since I usually need more then one and where I live they dnt even carry the 1.75 Liters so it's the medium 1 liters i have 2 get lol dam things. So if there is a way for me to get some back i would be very interested.

Out of the blue three weeks ago, my dream of meditating daily actually happened, when I wasn't expecting it. Lol! I have a fan blowing in the room behind me and I start by focusing on my breath for just a few inhallations, to get my spirit quiet, and then I shift to the sound of that fan. I used to fight the thoughts, but now I just mentally turn away from them and go back to that fan humming away.

I think what freaks people out is your thoughts, and it really wasn't until three weeks ago, when I started thinking of meditation as nothing more than time to reset the vibratory tone, that it clicked. I'm not trying to solve any problems, I'm not trying to heal anything or become anything through meditation. All I'm doing is quieting my thoughts so the cells can fine-tune the vibration of homeostasis.

That's what finally worked for me. I offer it as insight into how someone else got it to click, because I have to be honest, it's made all the difference in the world. I shower, slather on my healing cream and sit right down to meditate. I stopped picking up my devices until I was done meditating, another reason it finally worked. It's easy to get sucked into the site, and before you know it the time is gone and obligations call.

The true secret to my calm center though is deliberate waking. Making the deliberate choice as my eyes open in the morning to engage the universe in joyful play once again, and stating that right out loud with glee and fervor - that changed the dynamic tone of my entire existence in less than a month. It's been fine-tuning for the past year, and it's probably the reason I suddenly started meditating consistently. Equanimity used to be a dream I thought I'd not attain. Mindful breathing taught me it was possible. Deliberate waking strengthened my cosmic ties. Meditation keeps me in the receptive mode for cosmic inspiration.

Don't you love evolution? :cheesygrinsmiley:

Eckhart Tolle - How to Stop Self Talk in the Head. YouTube

Yes I would like to know about the distiller as well since 25 bux for a bottle of everclear is crazy expensive since I usually need more then one and where I live they dnt even carry the 1.75 Liters so it's the medium 1 liters i have 2 get lol dam things. So if there is a way for me to get some back i would be very interested.

image19891.jpeg

This is the one most of us are using Jones. You measure out the Everclear you'll be using. Then you calculate how much 80% of the alcohol level will be and add that much water to the carafe so you can mark that level with a piece of tape. That's the only thing you'll need that water for, just to get that level marked on the carafe. The alcohol distills out first, so any water content in the Everclear will be left behind.

When you finish the washes and strain the plant material the liquid all goes into the distiller and you turn it on and wait until the distilled alcohol hits that level you marked.

Turn the machine off at that point and let it cool for 20 minutes before opening. The alcohol you distilled off will be purer than what you started with, and catching it in the carafe limits the fumes you deal with. Bottle up the alcohol and finish the evaporation of the rest of the alcohol and completing the decarb as you normally would.

In this way you reclaim 80% of the alcohol, arguably the most expensive part of the process when you grow your own. By stopping at the 80% reclaimation mark we limit the chance of burning the oil. No one wants to get this far and burn the oil.

I see CCOiler goes for reclaiming 85%. I'd trust that. I tend to fall on the side of extreme caution. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I see CCOiler goes for reclaiming 85%. I'd trust that. I tend to fall on the side of extreme caution. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I was reclaiming 80% but that was leaving to much alcohol in the distiller.

after distilling the 190 proof it distills to 200 proof, last time I checked.

I was reclaiming 80% but that was leaving to much alcohol in the distiller.

after distilling the 190 proof it distills to 200 proof, last time I checked.
So will by making it a higher proof will tht extract heavier amounts of plant matter when extracting the oil from the herb??

So will by making it a higher proof will tht extract heavier amounts of plant matter when extracting the oil from the herb??

The higher the proof means it will pull out more trichome and less unwanted plant material gets pulled out

Too cool not to share: the actual blood vessels of a person who donated his body to science.

IMG_9002.PNG

They must have flooded the system with something that solidified then dissolved the flesh off... Don't know what would have happened to the bones though.

Ugh!

How nice it is to have a boring office job.

Hi Sue!

I think this the correct thread for this question, so here I go!

A few weeks ago, I helped an elderly couple setup a tent grow in their home. They couldn't afford to keep buying Blue Dream Tincture from the dispensary, so I got them setup and they are now flowering 3 Blue Dream plants in 5 gallon Hempys under a Growant panel. So easy for Carol to maintain, just water and feed really, very easy for her. Her husband Bill is afflicted with Alzheimers.

Have you any knowledge or experience making tinctures with alcohol? I have done it a few times, and have had good results with the Magical Butter machine and Everclear, but wondered if you might be able inform, if you have any tincture specific knowledge that you'd be so kind to share?

Thanks

Peace
Keith

Hey ss i was wondering how many ml are in the capsules u use i wanted to know cause I don't currently have any capsules but I wud still like to get a measurement of how many I would need to take once they get here?

Hi Sue!

I think this the correct thread for this question, so here I go!

A few weeks ago, I helped an elderly couple setup a tent grow in their home. They couldn't afford to keep buying Blue Dream Tincture from the dispensary, so I got them setup and they are now flowering 3 Blue Dream plants in 5 gallon Hempys under a Growant panel. So easy for Carol to maintain, just water and feed really, very easy for her. Her husband Bill is afflicted with Alzheimers.

Have you any knowledge or experience making tinctures with alcohol? I have done it a few times, and have had good results with the Magical Butter machine and Everclear, but wondered if you might be able inform, if you have any tincture specific knowledge that you'd be so kind to share?

Thanks

Peace
Keith

How pleased am I to hear they're flowering. :yahoo: The only alcohol tincture I made was two weeks in the freezer and strained. It was an experiment using one of those airplane bottles. Not being a fan of tinctures I haven't dabbled, but you're in a room full of members, one of which I'm certain has this experience.

Will she be doing an infused oil? The MB2 is great for that, and a capsule regimen may be easier to follow. Alcohol tinctures burn. Of course they could add it into a drink, couldn't they? :battingeyelashes:

Good work on that Keith. :high-five: My best to the lovely gardener. She never imagined it could be this easy, did she?

Back
Top Bottom