Today is a good day for baking. Miserable outside not fit for doggies or old bears.

What Ive done:

All volumes are 1 tablespoon crumbled cannabis and 2 tablespoons of the oil.

The three samples are: hemp, olive and coconut. The purpose here is to test infusion ability of the 3 oils. My only 'test' method is to take some sublingually so Ill also get some information about speed of reaction and maybe some difference in bio availability.

The 4th jar is finely ground cob (I used a baking tool in the picture which is used for grinding things like nutmeg, or making zest from citrus peel) and coconut oil. Specifically targeting my liver.

They are in the convection oven at 210. Ill turn it down to 190 after an hour for the infusion. Ive learned that cannabinoids melt at 180 so want to stay above that. Shake and or stir every 30 minutes, and 3 hours total.

I think the best way to test these is to take the same size sample early morning on 3 consecutive days. My think is that is best timing to eliminate many of the other variables that could skew the results throughout the day. Any and all thoughts on this are welcome.

More to come .....
How’s the experiment going @Oldbear?
:passitleft:

Morning all. I'm 30 minutes in to the last sample and I'm writing the summary now.

To recap 1 tablespoon of crumbled cannabis in 2 tablespoons of oil. The cannabis was well dry stirred to try to eliminate any cannabinoid hot spots skewing the results.

Ive taken 1 ml of one of the infused hemp, olive, and coconut oils first thing on 3 consecutive days.

The smell and taste is heavily influenced by the oil itself and for me all are pleasant. Terpenes are present but no nasty strong taste that many dont like.

Reaction time (sublingual administration) for all of them is consistent - within a minute start to feel it. Slowly building over 20 minutes then levels off at a very pleasant place. Easily lasts 2+ hours which is fine for me because of my small dose every 2 hours methodology. A 1/4 ml dose maintains the level without overdoing it.

There is no significant difference in the cannabinoid levels in the three samples. This is difficult with no scientific measurement of cannabinoid levels. None of them are weak or providing minimal effect. There isnt one that is significantly stronger than the others. I'm going to repeat the 1 a day in the morning to see if I can get a better sense of good, better, best ability to extract the cannabinoids.

Preliminary conclusions:

There is no wrong choice or best choice. Any of these choices are effective extraction oils.

One approach is to decide based solely on the taste. Having a selection available also works to change this up from time to time. For use in baking I'd rank hemp last based on flavour.

I think its correct that these are all considered good food. I need to research more to see if they can be ranked in some way. From what I think I know, hemp then olive then coconut would be the order.

What Im going to do:

Make a batch of infused hemp oil with a low concentration. Ill take this a tablespoon at a time as a dietary supplement.
ll keep the olive oil as the primary for regular daily doses. I also use this as a salad dressing or anything else you can do with olive.
I'll make higher concentration coconut oil targeting the liver. This also very tasty to add to coffee.

Thats it for now. Grandbaby bears are coming for annual tree decoration fun.

More to come on finely ground cob....

Ok we are pressure cooking (Instapot) some CBD Dream in olive oil! It smells like we might have a slight spaghetti sauce infusion. It did make some outstanding spaghettini sauce last night... I thought it was clean, LOL. It's a little more tame bud, so I went with 20 grams for 2 cups of oil.

Coconut oil is next. Probably going with a strong Sativa.

Sour diesel and coconut oil is on deck and waiting it’s turn... Coconut oil always bring a smile to my face. :drool:
I just went for it, I hope this works out.
:slide:
0219DAA9-2C9C-4196-87B5-DB48FF12BC11.jpeg

Whew! Take a vacation and activity picks up in here. Lol!

Well done Bobby. :high-five: I can feel the excitement from here. Lol! I always think the olive oil infusions smell like I’m cooking a savory meal, and the coconut oil infusions smell like goodies. Lol!

Grape seed oil is the one we choose for topicals. It absorbs well and is easy to source.

@Oldbear, I’m so stoked at your lab rat activities. I feel the same way about oil choices. “What do you plan to use the oils for?” is my question when I’m choosing. I’ll be watching for your next assessment post.

I know the tree came out wonderfully. :hug:

So guys, I’ve been taking a closer look at the lymphatic system and it’s increased my appreciation for our biobombs approach and our choice of oils. We choose olive oil to get the cannabinoids into the lymphatic system first, and it’s the lymphatic system that’s responsible for shuttling around the fat molecules.

Cannabinoids associated with coconut oil get to the liver first, but with competitive inhibition practices we can hope to get more through without metabolizing. Once they’re into bloodstream it appears they’re passed off to the lymphatic system.

Blood vessels are designed to keep fluids from penetrating and allow blood to flow out to the cells. Lymphatic vessels are designed to let fluids in and keep them from seeping out. My curiosity is do vessels deposit the cannabinoids into the interstitial fluid where they’d come into contact with receptors in cell membranes, or does the lymphatic system pull them out before that?

We now know receptors that cannabinoids interact with exist both on the cell membranes and inside the cells themselves. It occurs to me that the entire system is so interrelated that it appears to not much matter which oil you choose. The lipids are gonna end up in the lymphatic system anyway.

Except.... inside my brain the idea arises that choosing olive oil speeds the process up a smidge since it starts off in the lymphatic system.

It’s not rocket science, but cellular biology is still a deep rabbit hole. Lol!

Whew! Take a vacation and activity picks up in here. Lol!

Well done Bobby. :high-five: I can feel the excitement from here. Lol! I always think the olive oil infusions smell like I’m cooking a savory meal, and the coconut oil infusions smell like goodies. Lol!

Grape seed oil is the one we choose for topicals. It absorbs well and is easy to source.

@Oldbear, I’m so stoked at your lab rat activities. I feel the same way about oil choices. “What do you plan to use the oils for?” is my question when I’m choosing. I’ll be watching for your next assessment post.

I know the tree came out wonderfully. :hug:

So guys, I’ve been taking a closer look at the lymphatic system and it’s increased my appreciation for our biobombs approach and our choice of oils. We choose olive oil to get the cannabinoids into the lymphatic system first, and it’s the lymphatic system that’s responsible for shuttling around the fat molecules.

Cannabinoids associated with coconut oil get to the liver first, but with competitive inhibition practices we can hope to get more through without metabolizing. Once they’re into bloodstream it appears they’re passed off to the lymphatic system.

Blood vessels are designed to keep fluids from penetrating and allow blood to flow out to the cells. Lymphatic vessels are designed to let fluids in and keep them from seeping out. My curiosity is do vessels deposit the cannabinoids into the interstitial fluid where they’d come into contact with receptors in cell membranes, or does the lymphatic system pull them out before that?

We now know receptors that cannabinoids interact with exist both on the cell membranes and inside the cells themselves. It occurs to me that the entire system is so interrelated that it appears to not much matter which oil you choose. The lipids are gonna end up in the lymphatic system anyway.

Except.... inside my brain the idea arises that choosing olive oil speeds the process up a smidge since it starts off in the lymphatic system.

It’s not rocket science, but cellular biology is still a deep rabbit hole. Lol!

So do I still need "sunflower lecithin"?:hmmmm::laugh:

Here is one I did with good results. I can't compare it to anything, but can say the effects are there. It seems like the effects of the oils last a good long time for sure. Anyways......

I took 30 grams of fresh bud from the plant (After bud wash). To that I added 30 grams of Brown Sugar. It will look very dry, don't worry about it. It will pull and/or create a small amount of liquid in the bottom of container. I covered container(Pint jar) with a coffee filter. After a week I added 2 ounces of 80 proof vodka and stirred well. I then let it sit another week. Then I strained the material through a cheese cloth. Then over low heat I evaporated it down until it was thick. I have no idea on the dosage needed, as I just dipped my finger in and wound up with a good glob on it. It is very sweet with a plant flavor. The effects are good for 4-5 hours, I was not blasted but very nicely chilled. There is not alot of heat used in this method which I think brings some other things to the table. I am thinking with the sugar in it this may be real good for edibles.

I'll throw one out there but it was a long time ago so don't have exact deets. I ground up a bunch of herb and fresh dried mint from the garden and put into a large vodka bottle (no vodka) with glycerine and let sit for a few months shaking it up every time I thought of it. You could sample it as is but I then made some candy and it turned out great! Tasted just like double mint gum.

Oil looks great Bobby! Nice and clear and green :thumb:. Mine always turns out brown from the decarbed buds.

Yes!!!! Mine sometimes is what I like to call "olive green," or "greenish brown."
Other times, depending on decarb method, cooking method, etc....it's a lovely and beautiful deep, like hunter green.

I have to get a decarb method and cooking method that I'm ultra pleased with and just stick to it.

There is no wrong choice or best choice. Any of these choices are effective extraction oils.

One approach is to decide based solely on the taste. Having a selection available also works to change this up from time to time. For use in baking I'd rank hemp last based on flavour.

I think its correct that these are all considered good food. I need to research more to see if they can be ranked in some way. From what I think I know, hemp then olive then coconut would be the order.

What Im going to do:

Make a batch of infused hemp oil with a low concentration. Ill take this a tablespoon at a time as a dietary supplement.
ll keep the olive oil as the primary for regular daily doses. I also use this as a salad dressing or anything else you can do with olive.
I'll make higher concentration coconut oil targeting the liver. This also very tasty to add to coffee.

Really interesting stuff Bear. Can't wait to expand upon this.
For personal use, I guess I've always used MCT/cocnut oil, (which I too LOVE to add to a coffee. It really IS the breakfast of champs) or butter, and been very happy.
Through MY research, I've found that the nut oils, particularly walnut is best for pain topicals. It supposedly gets soaked in and gets to work much more quickly. Although, I've had really good luck with the olive or coconut on my arthritic hands.

Topical oil, probably grapeseed oil... What kind of bud is best for external use?
:hmmmm:

The olive oil drizzle and cannabis taste complemented the lunch spaghetti. :drool:

Of course it would compliment spaghetti sauce. Adding oil to any kind of acid (coffee, citrus, tomato etc) is going to increase the effect, bc of the thc, always trying to look to replace it's own acid, that has been removed from it during decarb & cooking.

What about Walnut?
It supposedly gets soaked in and gets to work much more quickly

Ok we are pressure cooking (Instapot) some CBD Dream in olive oil! It smells like we might have a slight spaghetti sauce infusion. It did make some outstanding spaghettini sauce last night... I thought it was clean, LOL. It's a little more tame bud, so I went with 20 grams for 2 cups of oil.

Coconut oil is next. Probably going with a strong Sativa.

I included this quote, but thc is always looking to replace an acid, so spaghetti sauce (high acidity) so it like works harder or something. Really good idea.

I'll throw one out there but it was a long time ago so don't have exact deets. I ground up a bunch of herb and fresh dried mint from the garden and put into a large vodka bottle (no vodka) with glycerine and let sit for a few months shaking it up every time I thought of it. You could sample it as is but I then made some candy and it turned out great! Tasted just like double mint gum.

Yes....I didn't gloam much from that tincture, and the candy was way too sweet for me, to really enjoy, but everyone who partook, was into it (including non smokers) and had a great time with it.
I'm gonna be making gummies this week, myself. Different recipe this time, though, from @InTheShed. Will document process and post up.

Back
Top Bottom