My entire goal in doing this work is to figure out as much as we can to make cannabis use practical in the average home and put it all out there for free. You’ve added invaluable information. :hug: Now we don’t have to wonder anymore.
Yay us!

How I Choose The Carrier Oil For Cannabis Infusions

Let’s begin with a discussion of long-chain fatty acids vs medium-chain fatty acids.

From SFGate: Healthy Eating
All fatty acids share the same basic structure: One carboxyl group -- a carbon atom double-bonded to an oxygen atom and single-bonded to a hydrogen and oxygen compound -- attached to a chain of carbon atoms. The number of carbon atoms in this chain is almost always even and consists of at least four carbons and a maximum of 28. Long-chain fatty acids have at least 14 carbon atoms in their tails.

What does this mean to us when we make cannabis oils?

Medium-chain fatty acids, when taken through the gut, will be absorbed and sent directly to the liver, where the enzymes are going to begin to metabolize the cannabinoids. Long-chain fatty acids taken through the gut are absorbed directly into the lymphatic system, which is usually where we're working to get them to in the first place. Eventually all fatty acids end up in the lymphatic system. Long-chain fatty acids shorten the trip.

The lymphatic system is the home of the immune system, responsible for controlling alien invasion and inflammation.

How do I apply this knowledge in a practical way?

I like to keep things simple. Here's how I work this out:

* If I'm making an oil for recreational euphoria I'm choosing coconut oil. I want those cannabinoids to get to the liver quickly so the delta-9 THC can be more quickly metabolized into 11-hydroxy THC.

* If I'm making an oil to treat liver disease I choose coconut oil for the quick transport to the liver, keeping in mind that coconut oil is a vasodilator and can be potentially painful for a patient with a stressed liver.

* If I'm treating just about anything else I reach for (extra-virgin olive oil) EVOO, preferably organic, cold pressed.

* If making a topical oil I generally reach for grape seed oil, for its absorbing potential and ease of sourcing. Pumpkin seed oil is another option for super-fast delivery, and can be slowed down by mixing with grape seed oil. Remember that the smell of topicals often need to be covered with essential oils, which offer their own therapeutic benefits.

There are many oil options available, and no one should limit themselves in choosing. By experimenting with different oil and more exotic blends you may unexpectedly find something that works better for you. Cannabis is the ultimate personal medicine. Allow yourself to play.

The short chain fats in butter (though there are other, longer chain fatty acids in it) are really preferentially burned for energy rather than stored as body fat. Butyric acid (for which butter is named) is, in fact, THE preferred food for the cells of the colon and has important roles to play in immunity.Mar 3, 2010
Primal Body Primal Mind - Nora Gedgaudas › ...

From Wikipedia: Short-chain fatty acids, also referred to as volatile fatty acids, are fatty acids with less than six carbon atoms. Free SCFAs can cross the blood-brain barrier via monocarboxylate transporters

Would that make butter infusion suppositories a better fit for dealing with problems of the colon over EVOO?

That was one of the things that caught my eye Shed, along with the reference to how SCFAs cross the BBB. This feels like butter deserves a closer look.

Let’s begin with a discussion of long-chain fatty acids vs medium-chain fatty acids.

All fatty acids share the same basic structure: One carboxyl group -- a carbon atom double-bonded to an oxygen atom and single-bonded to a hydrogen and oxygen compound -- attached to a chain of carbon atoms. The number of carbon atoms in this chain is almost always even and consists of at least four carbons and a maximum of 28. Long-chain fatty acids have at least 14 carbon atoms in their tails.

Medium-chain fatty acids, when taken through the gut, will be absorbed and sent directly to the liver, where the enzymes are going to begin to metabolize the cannabinoids. Long-chain fatty acids taken through the gut are absorbed directly into the lymphatic system, which is usually where we're working to get them to in the first place. Eventually all fatty acids end up in the lymphatic system. Long-chain fatty acids shorten the trip.

The lymphatic system is the home of the immune system, responsible for controlling alien invasion and inflammation.

* If I'm making an oil for recreational euphoria I'm choosing coconut oil. I want those cannabinoids to get to the liver quickly so the delta-9 THC can be more quickly metabolized into 11-hydroxy THC.

* If I'm making an oil to treat liver disease I choose coconut oil for the quick transport to the liver, keeping in mind that coconut oil is a vasodilator and can be potentially painful for a patient with a stressed liver.

* If I'm treating just about anything else I reach for (extra-virgin olive oil) EVOO, preferably organic, cold pressed.

* If making a topical oil I generally reach for grape seed oil, for its absorbing potential and ease of sourcing. Pumpkin seed oil is another option for super-fast delivery, and can be slowed down by mixing with grape seed oil. Remember that the smell of topicals often need to be covered with essential oils, which offer their own therapeutic benefits.

There are many oil options available, and no one should limit themselves in choosing. By experimenting with different oil and more exotic blends you may unexpectedly find something that works better for you. Cannabis is the ultimate personal medicine. Allow yourself to play.

Trust me the possibilities are endless and the oils all have different properties. I have an entire file cabinet full of experiments to prove this. Everyone has different favorites for different reasons. I love personally customizing delivery systems, but one consideration to remember is shelf life. The freezer is great for extending the life of finished creations and also ingredient oils you may not use up super quick. Have fun creating. I usually learn more from my flops, so dont give up!

The short chain fats in butter (though there are other, longer chain fatty acids in it) are really preferentially burned for energy rather than stored as body fat. Butyric acid (for which butter is named) is, in fact, THE preferred food for the cells of the colon and has important roles to play in immunity.Mar 3, 2010
Primal Body Primal Mind - Nora Gedgaudas › ...

From Wikipedia: Short-chain fatty acids, also referred to as volatile fatty acids, are fatty acids with less than six carbon atoms. Free SCFAs can cross the blood-brain barrier via monocarboxylate transporters
Try some european butter for infusing if you can. Its a higher fat content and look for grass fed which improves the fat quality. I like kerrygold and finlandia brands.

What a delicious way to end the day.

What a wonderful way to start the day, SS. Thank you for that. I second ITS' sentiment. Well done ladyfair!

Hiya Cannasavvy,

Sounds like you have had a lot of experience using oils as a medicine. Where does your experience come from?

Studying formulation and gradually building up a home lab with expetiments galore. Lots of degrees but no formal one in this area, and now i am lucky enough to get paid to do the same thing. Pinches self.

So i did some oil last week and it came out smelling and tasting completely different. There is a minimum smell and taste from my plants and if anything could have been stronger with the amount of plant material that i used. So here's what I did.
Took 200 grams of cbdutch treat buds out of the freezer. They were not dried at harvest so I put them on a drying screen for 24 hours in temps of 68f and about 50%rh. Then into a turkey roasting bag on a cookie sheet and into the oven for 2 hours at 235f. After that cycle I put them in our mud room to cool at 40f for about an hour. I then put it into my MBII machine and topped with grapeseed oil to the max marked on the inside. I had to compress the plant material down to get it all in there. Next I ran the MBII for 4 hours at 160f then back into the mud room over night and the next day ran it again at 160f but at only 2 hours. Again into the mud room to cool then open it up the next day and added my sunflower lecithin and another 2 hours at 160f. I cool this again over night and just warmed it up the next day by running a 120f cycle for an hour. I then strained off the oil and ended up with a little less than 2 pints of oil that has hardly any cannabis smell. Now i haven't been dosing yet with it as I'm trying to use up my older oils but i did get a damn good buzz off of it when cleaning things up with a piece of homemade bread. More so than I've gotten before while cleaning things up. I'm not sure why I did this run this way but I'm pretty sure I'll be glad I did.

Studying formulation and gradually building up a home lab with expetiments galore. Lots of degrees but no formal one in this area, and now i am lucky enough to get paid to do the same thing. Pinches self.

Hehehe! :high-five:

Try some european butter for infusing if you can. Its a higher fat content and look for grass fed which improves the fat quality. I like kerrygold and finlandia brands.

Thank you for that information. :hug: I have access to both where I shop at home.

So i did some oil last week and it came out smelling and tasting completely different. There is a minimum smell and taste from my plants and if anything could have been stronger with the amount of plant material that i used. So here's what I did.
Took 200 grams of cbdutch treat buds out of the freezer. They were not dried at harvest so I put them on a drying screen for 24 hours in temps of 68f and about 50%rh. Then into a turkey roasting bag on a cookie sheet and into the oven for 2 hours at 235f. After that cycle I put them in our mud room to cool at 40f for about an hour. I then put it into my MBII machine and topped with grapeseed oil to the max marked on the inside. I had to compress the plant material down to get it all in there. Next I ran the MBII for 4 hours at 160f then back into the mud room over night and the next day ran it again at 160f but at only 2 hours. Again into the mud room to cool then open it up the next day and added my sunflower lecithin and another 2 hours at 160f. I cool this again over night and just warmed it up the next day by running a 120f cycle for an hour. I then strained off the oil and ended up with a little less than 2 pints of oil that has hardly any cannabis smell. Now i haven't been dosing yet with it as I'm trying to use up my older oils but i did get a damn good buzz off of it when cleaning things up with a piece of homemade bread. More so than I've gotten before while cleaning things up. I'm not sure why I did this run this way but I'm pretty sure I'll be glad I did.

Thanks for sharing your recipe :thumb: and results.

Anybody know the diff. between Fractionated Coconumt Oil and reg. coconut oil? Are both medium chain?

Back
Top Bottom