Thanks for the explanations, Shed, and SweetSue. I basically want to know if blending was basically the same as an all in one chemovar. Not exactly, but fine for my purposes (just using around the homestead). Thanks again :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

You’ll not find an all-in-one that’ll match a blended mix Bode. Granddaddy Purple comes as close as any.

I’d like to find a better way to explain the ECS than the traditional “lock and key” analogy we now know to be false.

It’s really more of a vibration thing to me. The ligands (signaling molecules for the receptors) activate the receptor, but it’s not the tight fit we thought it was.

Now to find that better description that’ll make clear imagery in the reader’s brain. :hmmmm:

Thanks for the explanations, Shed, and SweetSue. I basically want to know if blending was basically the same as an all in one chemovar. Not exactly, but fine for my purposes (just using around the homestead). Thanks again
Using Oldbear's spreadsheet you can enter up to three chemovars and calculate the mix of CBD and THC you're looking for.

I'd post it here but last time I did that the mods took it down, so PM me if you're interested and I can send the link and the instructions I wrote up.

Using Oldbear's spreadsheet you can enter up to three chemovars and calculate the mix of CBD and THC you're looking for.

I'd post it here but last time I did that the mods took it down, so PM me if you're interested and I can send the link and the instructions I wrote up.

I have yet to use his spreadsheet. When we meet, will you walk me through an example?

I have yet to use his spreadsheet. When we meet, will you walk me through an example?
I'd be happy too!
You’ll need an app on your iPad that can read and enter data into an excel document. It’s always good to have that side sorted out before you get together as getting that app installed and working might not be straightforward. I bit the Microsoft bullet and purchased MS Office for iPad. Turned out to be a good investment I think. Having MS Word on my iPad is very handy for writing.

I wanted to say a little something re the discussions few pages back about efficacy of dosing with capsules as opposed to putting oil on a cracker.

I know it’s generally thought around here that sublingual use in inefficient with EVOO. My own experience tells otherwise. I get effects from both, plus faster onset with sublingual. I also find that when I put my oil directly on a peanut butter cracker and eat it I get some fast onset, as well as the slow onset from ingestion. This has prompted me to experiment with my canna-beverages. I often dose straigh into a cup of tea or coffee and find that if I swish the hot canna-infused liquid in my mouth a bit before I swallow i get that same benefit.

So... I think that may account for some of the difference in effect for the person who was not finding the caps as effective as eating the same dose off a cracker. I think when you chew something with it that maybe there’s some absorbtion through the mouth and gums that gives relief sooner - and is maybe different in character too.

It’s just speculative based on my experience, but i thought it worth sharing.

Sue - I do plan to include this int eh personal regimen dosing thread - just want to think about that post a bot more clearly before I do it, and that takes the kind of energy window I haven’t been able to give it yet (too much gardening! :D)

You’ll need an app on your iPad that can read and enter data into an excel document. It’s always good to have that side sorted out before you get together as getting that app installed and working might not be straightforward. I bit the Microsoft bullet and purchased MS Office for iPad. Turned out to be a good investment I think. Having MS Word on my iPad is very handy for writing.

I wanted to say a little something re the discussions few pages back about efficacy of dosing with capsules as opposed to putting oil on a cracker.

I know it’s generally thought around here that sublingual use in inefficient with EVOO. My own experience tells otherwise. I get effects from both, plus faster onset with sublingual. I also find that when I put my oil directly on a peanut butter cracker and eat it I get some fast onset, as well as the slow onset from ingestion. This has prompted me to experiment with my canna-beverages. I often dose straigh into a cup of tea or coffee and find that if I swish the hot canna-infused liquid in my mouth a bit before I swallow i get that same benefit.

So... I think that may account for some of the difference in effect for the person who was not finding the caps as effective as eating the same dose off a cracker. I think when you chew something with it that maybe there’s some absorbtion through the mouth and gums that gives relief sooner - and is maybe different in character too.

It’s just speculative based on my experience, but i thought it worth sharing.

Sue - I do plan to include this int eh personal regimen dosing thread - just want to think about that post a bot more clearly before I do it, and that takes the kind of energy window I haven’t been able to give it yet (too much gardening! :D)

I’m a big sublingual fan too.

@Amy Gardner, good share. That makes sense too. It might make better sense to incorporate the oral mucosal absorption. I don’t dabble much in edibles beyond capsules, brownies, and the occasional honey fudge adventure. Well... and cobs.

Cobs are most effective for me when chewed until they completely break down, and that usually means 30 minutes or more in the mouth.

Not having pain to treat puts me at a happy disadvantage when judging the efficacy of pain formulations. I depend a lot on feedback to stay properly informed.

Being in transition with no storage capacity I try to make only those oils that are absolutely necessary. That’s usually brownie oil. I don’t even have any oil on hand that aren’t for topical use for me to play with.

Someday this'll change.

I just realized I have a jar of DDA VG tincture still sitting in a box in my storage unit. o_O

That video actually scared me a little when I saw how the opposition has learned new ways to cloak the lies. On a respected format, nonetheless. :straightface: It was insightful. It lit a fire under me to spread more truth.

I learned some delightful new ways to look at the ECS though, so it’s all good. :laughtwo:

Today I stumbled upon this disturbing piece, fueling the fear that cannabis use will lead to Alzheimer’s. o_O

Source

Marijuana and Alzheimer’s: Does Marijuana Cause Alzheimer’s?

Alzheimer’s Disease is a condition that affects so many people in the U.S., whether it’s them personally or a loved one. As the U.S. population ages, Alzheimer’s becomes even more relevant and is commonly discussed.

Researchers are striving to learn more about Alzheimer’s, including potential treatment options.

One specific area of conversation relates to marijuana and Alzheimer’s. People wonder if marijuana could be a potential treatment option for the disease, but on the opposite end of that they also wonder, does marijuana cause Alzheimer’s?
The following provides an overview of the disease, and also key thing to know about marijuana and Alzheimer’s.

MarijuanaAlzheimers.jpg

What is Alzheimer’s Disease?

Alzheimer’s is a disease of the brain that causes memory loss and cognitive impairment, and it’s the number one cause of dementia in older people. Dementia refers to a loss of cognitive abilities, problems with remembering, and struggles with daily life and activities. Dementia isn’t considered a normal part of aging despite the fact that it’s most common in older adults.

Despite the fact that Alzheimer’s is primarily associated with older adults, there is also the potential for early-onset Alzheimer’s in people younger than 65.

Alzheimer’s is a progressive disease, so the symptoms may begin slowly and may be difficult to identify, but they get worse with time. Alzheimer’s starts out as mild memory loss, and over time as a person progresses through the later stages of Alzheimer’s it can become difficult for them to communicate and function. It’s also the sixth leading cause of death in the U.S.

Currently, there are no approved cures for Alzheimer’s, but there are options to treat the symptoms and research is ongoing.

So, does marijuana cause Alzheimer’s? This and other topics related to marijuana and Alzheimer’s are detailed below.

Does Marijuana Cause Alzheimer’s?

It’s a commonly used recreational drug, but does marijuana cause Alzheimer’s? This is a question a lot of people have, especially since last year there was a study released showing that marijuana can increase susceptibility to Alzheimer’s.

The study was published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, and it showed that people with a marijuana use disorder had reduced blood flow in almost every area of the brain, compared to controls who didn’t use marijuana. The research showed the hippocampus area of the brain had the biggest reduction in blood flow because of marijuana. The hippocampus is the part of our brain associated with memory and learning, and in people who have Alzheimer’s, it’s the first area of the brain that’s affected.

When you use marijuana, and it reduces blood flow to the brain, it reduces the amount of oxygen that can reach brain cells, which can result in damage to the tissues and even death.

Researchers believe that marijuana also blocks activity in the brain which prevents the formation of memories.

The results of this study don’t show definitively that marijuana can cause Alzheimer’s, but it should give marijuana users a bit of hesitance.

Medical Marijuana and Alzheimer’s

Despite the potential links between marijuana and Alzheimer’s regarding marijuana being a contributing factor in the development of the disease, the medical community is still looking at possible links between medical marijuana and Alzheimer’s.

Some research over the years has shown that small amounts of the THC component of marijuana may have an effect on the symptoms and progression of Alzheimer’s, but with that being said, there isn’t currently evidence that shows marijuana could prevent the development of the disease.

What is possible in terms of medical marijuana and Alzheimer’s is that it could help manage behavioral symptoms of Alzheimer’s when someone is already diagnosed with the disease, such as aggression.

With medical marijuana and Alzheimer’s, the results are pretty mixed regarding the use of marijuana as a treatment for the disease.

Summing Up—Marijuana and Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer’s is a scary, progressive degenerative disease that affects many elderly people and in some cases younger people as well. Because of recent research, people wonder does marijuana cause Alzheimer’s?

There are two ways to view the relationship between marijuana and Alzheimer’s. The first is the fact that in some ways the use of marijuana may be associated with Alzheimer’s. This is because marijuana affects the hippocampus area of the brain, and this is also the area associated with memories and Alzheimer’s. Of course, there are probably other factors that play a role as well, such as genetics, but people should use caution with marijuana because it may raise their risk of developing Alzheimer’s.
Another way to look at marijuana and Alzheimer’s is through the lens of the use of marijuana as a treatment option.

While there hasn’t been any promising research showing marijuana could help prevent Alzheimer’s, some studies have shown it may be helpful to address the symptoms of the disease. This research, while offering some interest findings, is still in its very early stages and there’s still a lot of unknown information when it comes to marijuana and Alzheimer’s.

Have more questions about Marijuana abuse?

An awlful lot of fear-mongering going on there. Geez guys.....I’ll have to track down that journal with the study. I can’t believe how they jump to these crazy conclusions and call themselves scientific. Of course, this was written for a recovery center, and their agenda is all over it. :straightface:

people with a marijuana use disorder
:hmmmm: ? :laughtwo:

results of this study don’t show definitively that marijuana can cause Alzheimer’s, but it should give marijuana users a bit of hesitance.
Quite a leap there. ...I’m ither words “there’s no actual eveidence for this but we think you should worry about it anyway”

results are pretty mixed regarding

It’s an ad hominem really, but this kind of sloppy casual language in a piece like this (‘pretty mixed’) always tells me it’s full of agenda and likely very dubious in the ‘facts’ department!

I agree Sue how well the negative forces get their message packaged in dangerously persuasive ways. It has always been this way and will probably always be so. Like you said all we can do is hone our own messages. :Namaste:

:hmmmm: ? :laughtwo:

Quite a leap there. ...I’m ither words “there’s no actual eveidence for this but we think you should worry about it anyway”

It’s an ad hominem really, but this kind of sloppy casual language in a piece like this (‘pretty mixed’) always tells me it’s full of agenda and likely very dubious in the ‘facts’ department!

I agree Sue how well the negative forces get their message packaged in dangerously persuasive ways. It has always been this way and will probably always be so. Like you said all we can do is hone our own messages. :Namaste:

I’m getting pretty good at honing he message Amy. My path through IG has proven to be a creative trigger for me. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Fear mongering is an art form, but my final contention will always be that you have to allow yourself to go to fear to be affected. I live as fearlessly as I can. I’m not a good candidate for propaganda.

It's been a long time since I posted here and I'm not even going to bother trying to catch up but will start here and hope that's okay with everyone.

I regularly make cannaoil. I have so many capsules I make. For fun, I currently have:
  • Durban Poison, a landrace with between 17 and 28% THC
  • Girl Scout Cookies, a hybrid chemovar with around 24% THC
  • Kaboom, a sativa chemovar with around 12% THC
  • AK-47, a sativa chemovar with around 17% THC
  • New York Diesel X OG Kush, a hybrid with around 18% THC
And, for meds, I have:
  • Hash Plant, an indica with around 12% THC: 3.5% CBD used for nighttime pain relief and insomnia
  • CB Dutch Treat, a sativa with around 4% THC: 8% CBD used for daytime pain relief
Anyhow, the reason I'm reciting all this is I want to know how people strain their oil? I've used cheesecloth, a milk nut bag and a strainer and I often seem to lose anywhere between 2 ml of oil and as high as 67 ml of oil and I find it frustrating that there's so much oil loss.

I only just started tracking the straining method in December and none of the items I use ever give back what I've put in. I've made oil 11 times since the end of December.

Using cheesecloth, I've lost:
  • 0 ml
  • 4 ml
  • 7 ml
  • 18 ml
  • 35 ml
  • 43 ml
Using the nut milk bag, I lost 17 ml and using the metal strainer, I've lost:
  • 2 ml
  • 22 ml
  • 25 ml
  • 67 ml
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

It's been a long time since I posted here and I'm not even going to bother trying to catch up but will start here and hope that's okay with everyone.

I regularly make cannaoil. I have so many capsules I make. For fun, I currently have:
  • Durban Poison, a landrace with between 17 and 28% THC
  • Girl Scout Cookies, a hybrid chemovar with around 24% THC
  • Kaboom, a sativa chemovar with around 12% THC
  • AK-47, a sativa chemovar with around 17% THC
  • New York Diesel X OG Kush, a hybrid with around 18% THC
And, for meds, I have:
  • Hash Plant, an indica with around 12% THC: 3.5% CBD used for nighttime pain relief and insomnia
  • CB Dutch Treat, a sativa with around 4% THC: 8% CBD used for daytime pain relief
Anyhow, the reason I'm reciting all this is I want to know how people strain their oil? I've used cheesecloth, a milk nut bag and a strainer and I often seem to lose anywhere between 2 ml of oil and as high as 67 ml of oil and I find it frustrating that there's so much oil loss.

I only just started tracking the straining method in December and none of the items I use ever give back what I've put in. I've made oil 11 times since the end of December.

Using cheesecloth, I've lost:
  • 0 ml
  • 4 ml
  • 7 ml
  • 18 ml
  • 35 ml
  • 43 ml
Using the nut milk bag, I lost 17 ml and using the metal strainer, I've lost:
  • 2 ml
  • 22 ml
  • 25 ml
  • 67 ml
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hello HashGirl. :hug: This isn’t a room you try to catch up on. :laughtwo: We’re here to brainstorm and answer questions. :battingeyelashes:

So... my question is, “How large were the batches, and how does that correlate to loss volumes?”

I ask because I’ve noticed I get much more out of a small batch, less than a cup of carrier oil, than I do from a larger pressing, though I can limit loses if I carefully strain larger batches in small bits. Someday I plan to make one of those simple presses with the stainless dog dishes and then I expect to get the max.

If you gravity strain only, the way Oldbear does then you’ll run into the reality that some chemovars have fibrous material that hangs into more oil than others. I’d find a creative way to use the mash in those batches that were stingy about letting the bound oil go.

I use a small piece of silk. It’s not fine enough for me, and I’m planning on one of those but bags like you have, with 200 tpi.

Hello HashGirl. :hug: This isn’t a room you try to catch up on. :laughtwo: We’re here to brainstorm and answer questions. :battingeyelashes:

So... my question is, “How large were the batches, and how does that correlate to loss volumes?”

I ask because I’ve noticed I get much more out of a small batch, less than a cup of carrier oil, than I do from a larger pressing, though I can limit loses if I carefully strain larger batches in small bits. Someday I plan to make one of those simple presses with the stainless dog dishes and then I expect to get the max.

If you gravity strain only, the way Oldbear does then you’ll run into the reality that some chemovars have fibrous material that hangs into more oil than others. I’d find a creative way to use the mash in those batches that were stingy about letting the bound oil go.

I use a small piece of silk. It’s not fine enough for me, and I’m planning on one of those but bags like you have, with 200 tpi.

Here's the table I use:

Date PreparedStrainTreatsWeightOil TypeQuantity of Oil in MLStraining MethodQuantity in MLQuantity in CapsulesAmount of Oil Lost
20-Dec-18Girl Scout CookiesFun13gsunflower150cheesecloth13296 `000' capsules18
21-Dec-18CB Dutch TreatDaytime Pain Relief10gsunflower125nut milk bag108118 size `00' capsules17
27-Dec-18AK-47Fun12gsunflower130cheesecloth12692 size `000' capsules4
12-Jan-19Hash PlantNighttime Pain Relief & Insomnia10gsunflower150cheesecloth1500
18-Jan-19CB Dutch TreatDaytime Pain Relief10gsunflower150metal strainer148171 size `00' capsules 2
20-Jan-19KaboomFun20gsunflower150metal strainer8391 size `00' capsules67
18-Feb-19CB Dutch TreatDaytime Pain Relief10gsunflower125cheesecloth118130 size `00' capsules7
17-Mar-19Girl Scout CookiesFun13gsunflower125cheesecloth9066 size `000' capsules35
17-Mar-19New York Diesel x OG KushFun20gsunflower150cheesecloth10778 size `000' capsules43
23-Mar-19CB Dutch TreatDaytime Pain Relief15gsunflower170metal strainer148171 size `00' capsules 22
6-Apr-19Hash PlantNighttime Pain Relief & Insomnia10gsunflower125metal strainer10025

Highya HashGirl, SweetSue, guys,

We just made a large batch of brownies with the leftover ground cannabis with oil.You should try it! Very nice!

As to the previous article about cannabis and alzheimers - Sue's right. Total propaganda!! Of course smoking cannabis slows O2 to the brain. It does that everywhere. That's part of the effect. The rest of the body "could die" as well from enough lack of O2.
Alzheimers autopsy's show a plaque in the brain. Amyloid (something or other). I also suspect that the article SweetSue posted a while back about what the brain does when sleeping (spinal fluid "washing" through the brain) would have more to do with the disease than Cannabis (the homeostasis organic medicine). Might have something to do with stress causing restless sleep instead of REM sleep. Propaganda will subside when it goes legal nationally (state by state). Then they can find truths. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom