That's interesting Mike. I would think that most folks would do QWISO the same way. Good thing you had it tested to find out what was left.

Sorry, I don't know what the options are for future purging. I just wanted to know if your purging method was standard or not. I don't have access to Everclear in CA and had considered using 99% iso. I don't think I will after your experience.

So I did a search, but couldn't seem to find an answer... Is there a way to make a lighter colored oil? Like golden or amber? The reason is that I want to make some moon rocks (everything completely from scratch) for my sister and niece for Christmas, and would really prefer the aesthetics of a lighter colored oil.

The test showed 17,782.00 PPM of ISO.

Thank you for posting your results. I noticed you did a double broiler for evaporating. What was the time and temp?

I'll be getting a product like this for $150 to do my purging...

Screenshot_5.jpg

Is there a way to make a lighter colored oil?

Yes of course... before you evaporate, filter through a couple coffee filters, then a Buchner funnel using 3-micron filter paper, you'll get something like this...

Screenshot_1.jpg

...then you can purge from there or filter more by mixing in activated charcoal powder and running through the Buchner again.

That's interesting Mike. I would think that most folks would do QWISO the same way. Good thing you had it tested to find out what was left.

Sorry, I don't know what the options are for future purging. I just wanted to know if your purging method was standard or not. I don't have access to Everclear in CA and had considered using 99% iso. I don't think I will after your experience.
I use ISO as it’s cheap and readily available to clean my growing tools, wash out my jars, etc. I have made QWISO in the past with Everclear. It’s not available in MI either. I’ve ordered it online but it’s very expensive as you probably know. Too expensive to wash tools with!

I know some who have used 150 proof run or vodka, which is available down the street. For a tincture or a long soak like I did it should work, albeit not as good as 200 proof. Given that it’s readily available and relative cheap I’ll probably go in that direction for cleaning and future long soaks like I did this time, if I get a little edible alcohol in my CCO, who cares.

ISO is really bad taken internal so I wouldn’t recommend it. Having said that, I suppose with the proper equipment one could completely remove all traces of iso, but cost is always an issue.

Yes of course... before you evaporate, filter through a couple coffee filters, then a Buchner funnel using 3-micron filter paper, you'll get something like this...

Screenshot_1.jpg

...then you can purge from there or filter more by mixing in activated charcoal powder and running through the Buchner again.
That seems to be a bit more in depth than I'm comfortable doing. Would making a tincture from un-decarbed flower work? Basically the same as described in this thread, but only evaporated until about maybe 75% of the alcohol is gone (I plan on using Everclear), then dipping the buds in that and then letting them air dry until the alcohol has completely dissipated. Then roll them in either kief or hash powder.

I know some who have used 150 proof run or vodka, which is available down the street. For a tincture or a long soak like I did it should work, albeit not as good as 200 proof. Given that it’s readily available and relative cheap I’ll probably go in that direction for cleaning and future long soaks like I did this time, if I get a little edible alcohol in my CCO, who cares.
I figured the issue with 150 proof was the high water content. In addition to evaporating the alcohol you would need to evaporate the water as well, which would mean either boiling it off or waiting and waiting.

That, in addition to the fact that 150 proof would be less effective at stripping the trichomes for QWET. With a long soak it might not make as big a difference.

Thank you for posting your results. I noticed you did a double broiler for evaporating. What was the time and temp?

I'll be getting a product like this for $150 to do my purging...

Screenshot_5.jpg
It didn’t take very long - maybe an hour or a little more. I didn’t pay a great deal of attention to the temp. Just kept it hot enough so that it bubbled.

That doesn’t seem like a bad price if it does the job. I know nothing of vacuum purging, etc. I primarily make infused oils which work great. Using my leftover AVB was an experiment. It packs a punch, just need to figure out a simple, effective and inexpensive way to recover the goodies left over. I suppose I could just make an infused oil with it. Hmmm....

I figured the issue with 150 proof was the high water content. In addition to evaporating the alcohol you would need to evaporate the water as well, which would mean either boiling it off or waiting and waiting.

That, in addition to the fact that 150 proof would be less effective at stripping the trichomes for QWET. With a long soak it might not make as big a difference.
Correction: I meant to say I made QWET with Everclear.yes, I agree it would be less effective, but certainly safer.

Am I the only one that uses 190 proof Grain Alcohol, Russian Everclear?

Isn't 99.99% ISO, basically Pharma grade? Not sure if it is cost prohibitive but may be worth checking into it.

I figured that :). If you're concerned about the safety of QWISO, at some point the price of a press compares favorably to the costs of repeated Everclear purchases!

You know I do mostly Rosin, but we still have to use 190 proof to rinse the pucks. Hell I got 20 something grams from my last puck wash, that's a month of meds.
Don't buy EverClear, you can get Russian 190 proof for around $10 a liter.

You can buy 200 proof from Extractahol (420 sponsor), but they don't even sell 190 proof alcohol in California. Otherwise I would have given QWET a try just to say I had.

Hmmmmmm, my dad and his brothers were booze runners in the town they grew up in during prohibition. Hell guess I should load up a few cases of 190 proof and come see you boys in California. :laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl::laugh:

:passitleft:

From mother Russia? I'm pretty sure you can't legally sell any alcohol here higher than 151 proof. I wonder how many times through a table-top distiller before you get to 190. Cost-benefit analysis!

Nice return from the pucks gr8! Definitely worth saving.

You can only buy 151 proof in Cal.? :(

That sucks!

:slide:

Just looked up 99% iso and could find nothing on consuming it.
I am going to stick with 190 proof,

Hi @SweetSue A few months ago you gave me some advice for making infused coconut oil. It may have been on a different thread. I used to make my oil in a pan on the stove, and then I started trying to make it overnight in the oven. I have zero success with this method. The oil looks beautiful and dark and my most recent batch I added lecithin because I read that the lecithin increases the potency of dose by helping the body to absorb it. It looks and tastes good but I am feeling no effect whatsoever. I decarbed for an hour and a half in the oven at 115 C, then infused the oil for 12 hours at 70 C. I remember you suggested something with the heat but I can't find the reference and I didn't put it into practice immediately. Now my question is this... if I reheat the oil, can it be fixed, or should I scrap it and use it as regular cooking oil? I used trim with a lot of loose bud, so there was good raw material for this batch.

Back
Top Bottom