Just found this “study” from 2017. Three volunteers apply a topical for three days and then tested negative. All this proved, IMHO, was that three days of application wouldn’t show up on their particular drug screening.

What about long-term use of a high-THC oil as a topical? I’m hoping to help a young man paralyzed from the sternum down find some relief from the internal pain pushing him to the edge of sanity. There are many others here I was also planning to give double-strength oil to that can’t fail a drug test or they’ll be dropped from pain management.

But at the moment I’m watching a video on Green Flower Media that suggests topicals applied to the areas where veins are close to the surface - for instance your wrists, the legs where veins come close to the surface, your palms, or the soles of your feet - might result in a positive test.

This is the first I’ve heard any canna professional say this. These areas she speaks of are the very places we advise you apply a topical if you’re attempting to hit deep pain that you can’t reach any other way.

WTF? :straightface:

Source

Original publication:
Forensic Science International
Volume 272, March 2017, Pages 68-71

Topical application of THC containing products is not able to cause positive cannabinoid finding in blood or urine.
Hess C, et al. Forensic Sci Int. 2017.

Abstract

A male driver was checked during a traffic stop. A blood sample was collected 35min later and contained 7.3ng/mL THC, 3.5ng/mL 11-hydroxy-THC and 44.6ng/mL 11-nor-9-carboxy-THC. The subject claimed to have used two commercially produced products topically that contained 1.7ng and 102ng THC per mg, respectively.

In an experiment, three volunteers (25, 26 and 34 years) applied both types of salves over a period of 3days every 2-4h. The application was extensive (50-100cm2).

Each volunteer applied the products to different parts of the body (neck, arm/leg and trunk, respectively). After the first application blood and urine samples of the participants were taken every 2-4h until 15h after the last application (overall n=10 urine and n=10 blood samples, respectively, for each participant).

All of these blood and urine samples were tested negative for THC, 11-hydroxy-THC and 11-nor-9-carboxy-THC by a GC-MS method (LoD (THC)=0.40ng/mL; LoD (11-hydroxy-THC)=0.28ng/mL; LoD (THC-COOH)=1.6ng/mL;. LoD (THC-COOH in urine)=1.2ng/mL).

According to our studies and further literature research on in vitro testing of transdermal uptake of THC, the exclusive application of (these two) topically applied products did not produce cannabinoid findings in blood or urine.

@SweetSue

Hi Sue, I have a question for you and/or the group.

I made a batch of oil yesterday from the squeezed pucks (from making Rosin, but it happens when using buds also). After draining and filtering the alcohol (double coffee filters, two times) and cooking down the FECO I poured it into a 135 ml silicon tub. This goes into an oven set at 230 degrees and temp checked multiple times, temp never rose above 235 degrees. After around 40 minutes the bubbling stopped and I removed it from the oven and poured it onto a silicone sheet. I scrapped all the oil from the tub with a silicone spatula.
OK, here is where I am confused. After removing it all there are what seems like something organic in the oil, like grainy stuff.
Did I not strain it enough, I will be making edibles with it, will the graininess cause a problem?

@SweetSueOK, here is where I am confused. After removing it all there are what seems like something organic in the oil, like grainy stuff.
Did I not strain it enough, I will be making edibles with it, will the graininess cause a problem?

In my opinion it’s nothing more than particulate matter gr. I don’t see how it could be anything but. Two coffee filters, twice, is adequate in most cases. Well done, by the way. :goodjob: What kind of edibles were you planning to make that a little graininess would be a problem?

In my opinion it’s nothing more than particulate matter gr. I don’t see how it could be anything but. Two coffee filters, twice, is adequate in most cases. Well done, by the way. :goodjob: What kind of edibles were you planning to make that a little graininess would be a problem?

Hard candies or gummies. I think the gummies would be too grainy.

Oh yeah, it was 33 grams. Not bad for Rosin pucks.
20191015_191140 (2).jpg

@ SweetSue, Oh hell, the rest of you also! :rofl::laugh::rofl:

Today I got everything ready to make this falls FECO/CCO.
Not sure on the weight, forgot to weigh it, but it was multiple zips of mostly non-trimmed bud and some sugar leaf. It was packed into a 1 gallon jar.
Started with 8 bottles of 190 proof. Did three washes and strained through double filters twice.
Not sure when I will have the time for reduction, may wait till I get a new distiller. Mine is warped and is not sealing well so I am losing a lot of alcohol in the process.

Need a new distiller. Can y'all post what distillers you folks are using?

Here is the process after extraction.

Before filtering, got 7.4 liters of extract, so I lost 0.6 liters in the rinsing process.
First two rinsings, you can see the chlorophyll, so I set them out in the sun for not long at all, maybe 15 minutes and the chlorophyll is gone.
20191018_120107 (2).jpg

The third rinsing, was very green prior to putting it in the sun, this is after the 15 minutes in the sun.
20191018_132921 (2).jpg

During the process
20191018_145652 (2).jpg

The final product, now just need to reduce it down.
20191018_152819 (3).jpg
20191018_152840 (3).jpg

Will not do anything until I get anew distiller.

naturally... of course it's you!
miss sue, I'm so so so sorry... your history. u know y I'm here. i feel so selfish. I'm so sorry for your loss.
had just been celebrating your positive attitude and willingness to help, with miss Emily. said she's wearing a gift from you, today!

maybe 15 minutes and the chlorophyll is gone

What a great load of oil you have wow!

I just came across something that said sun treating changes the chlorophyll color and doesn't remove it? Have you ever tried freezing it at this stage? I think it's supposed to separate the fats, lipids, etc to the top and you can remove them.

i had someone, here, tell me the other day that another overnight freeze, would "winterize it". i will attempt, today, or tomorrow.
i think mr old salt,or mr pc addict- mentioned settin n sun, as did winterize guy. that first pour... YOU KNOW... looked like a stomach ache, in progress. i went topical, having missed the advice- u have an example of, there... and lickin the spatula, confirmed my fears: re: imodium! of course- cause it's me!

anyone check outcome differences and appearance, with the variable wash cycles we all do to our own tune? i haven't, but would b interested.

oh and i use the mbe2, but uh... I'd prefer something with a magnetic stirrer. maybe i can tweak the blade, for a deeper mix tip. don't require a chopper.
but the mbe2 is set n forget- great me me, mr gr8! i like that i can decarb, first n then, set at 180°F, for an hour, from the max line, regardless of actual end, filtered liquid. if I'm short, I'll got to the half, if i must, for 45ish...
buchner funnel! cut ur filtration times...

it's OFFICIAL! second, consecutive time, trash, rerun oil, only. various strains- gooped onto the lovely G's trigger finger & it instantly released. if i had to guess, the tendons in her palm, seize & we maybe just got em stoned. last time, was better, for pain n inflammation. same stuff. she took it off, real quick, this time. it's like pinetar...

amnesia- last of the mohicans: ok so the cured stuff was oiled, a week, or so, ago. i was gettin @ 22% returns. i ran her c1 clones, with only 10 day cvault - actually, "higher" head bzzz, but @ 12-14% return- forgot which. so today's run of oz b4 destem... forgot to recheck. i know: very thorough... didn't use dry ice- 4 gram rtn. based on previous stem weights- around 1/6 return; @ 16%. there's a reason we use dry ice... my lovely, needed something milder buzz, more analgesic, in a hurry. it's definitely that, " J-E-L-L-O!"...

@SPARECHANGE, hang in there with me. I’m just running through, and I’ll be back tomorrow.

This is the distiller many of us use to reclaim the alcohol.

you know: i can only say i love you, so many times... i don't think you believed me, the first time and fish slapped me, the second... but I'd seen those and wondered... on sec... [walks down hall], "honey!... i need another $300..."... [walks back. hears keys, gingling... knows ahs isn't on... hears door slam... hears car door slam. hears ignition and garage door. ], but perhaps another day...

today's various oils- supply: there's mild: freaks me out. there's, "be careful, for 30+ hours"... and there's, "mmmm J-E-L-L-O... mmmmfuzzy"... for 10hrs. but i forget which is which.

you know: i can only say i love you, so many times... i don't think you believed me, the first time and fish slapped me, the second... but I'd seen those and wondered... on sec... [walks down hall], "honey!... i need another $300..."... [walks back. hears keys, gingling... knows ahs isn't on... hears door slam... hears car door slam. hears ignition and garage door. ], but perhaps another day...

It can be a challenge sometimes to ignore what IS in favor of what you desire.

:hug::hug::hug:5::hug:

today's various oils- supply: there's mild: freaks me out. there's, "be careful, for 30+ hours"... and there's, "mmmm J-E-L-L-O... mmmmfuzzy"... for 10hrs. but i forget which is which.

:laughtwo: You have this way with words I find delightful. Lol!

I’m gonna go take a shower. Be right back. :hug:

fellas- any carbon, or wax, buildup, on the bottoms of those?
[walks back down hall... "honey? HONEY???]

and if so- any prevention/removal tips? dry ice, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom