Found this on IG today. There’s a genetic determination on the types of cannabinoids a plant will produce in its essential oil. What we’re playing with is making those cannabinoids count for more than they appear to be capable of, something we seem to make a practice of around here. Lol!

How is this happening? What’s going on here that we don’t understand? There’s apparently more than meets the eye with decarbed goods.

Sometimes I feel so lost in the woods. :laughtwo:

Derbybud’s Experience

60 gr bud to 12 oz ghee
- 6 hrs in MB2
- Fridge for 24 hours
- 6 hrs in MB2
- 3 weeks in fridge
- Warmed to liquid (160° for approx 1 hr)
- Strained

Ah we have a bingo Sue

Derbybud, was it decarbed before these steps, and by what process? Also, was the container in the fridge air tight?

Thanks for as many specifics as you can muster, watching with keen interest.

The dominant cannabinoids of the cannabis plant are determined by genetics and cannot be altered - only potency percentage.

I'm completely confused by this lol Sue it seems you got something from it, so you are one up on me.

We can change the THCA percentage by when the plant is harvested. The later the harvest THCA percentage will go down while raising the percentage of CBNA. I'm not sure what happens to CBDA in this case, perhaps it also degrades in proportion and still keeps that initial genetic percentage relation.

Maybe CBNA isn't considered dominant in this context and only THCA/CBDA are the subject. If so then yes, the THCA/CBDA percentage relation to each other is genetically determined, for example a 20 to 1 strain will be roughly 20% THCA and 1% CBDA when grown.

The potency comment tacked onto the end seems to be referencing everything (or SOMEthing) post-harvest, like decarbing and/or the final percent of these cannabinoids that are bio-available? I think we (as in general consensus) have a pretty good understanding of these, no?

When I take my first harvest later this month, my resulting edible products will have equal parts of BOTH acid and non acid components. In other words two batches mixed together, one decarbed and the other not. Watching the Green Flower youtube channel has exposed me to many doctors touting the benefits of all four... THCA, THC, CBDA, CBD. I'll be taking the term "full extract" to it's logical and ultimate conclusion :)

I'm completely confused by this lol Sue it seems you got something from it, so you are one up on me.
I was a bit confused as well. Greenflower's statement seems obvious (that a 20:1 CBD:THC ratio is bred-in), but when I re-read Sue's statement I thought maybe she was referring to the change in effect that Derby had based on the change in the way he made his most recent batch of oil.

Is it just increasing the infusion efficiency the way QWET does? Or is the heating/cooling/heating process in some way increasing the "effectiveness" of the existing cannabinoids?

Derbybud, was it decarbed before these steps, and by what process? Also, was the container in the fridge air tight?

Thanks for as many specifics as you can muster, watching with keen interest.
Ok I'm going to put this out there but I can't really tell you the why as it's always based on doing things as least time consuming as possible with my schedule.
Most times I wash my product when I harvest. Let hang dry about 3-4 hours.
Wet trim. Trim goes into 2 gallon freezer bags while trying to extract as much air as possible and into the freezer until needed.
When needed I pull product from freezer and put out on a screen in my basement (also known as my dungeon) for 24 hours just to get the dampness out of it. I'll trim some of the bigger stems off and put the rest of the product into Turkey roasting bag and leave just a bit of air in it and seal just with a twist tie. Into the oven on a cookie sheet that is up to temp at 230f for 110 min. to decarb. Let cool after until room temperature. Then I trim all stems off while loading the MB2 machine. Here is the bad part as I don't weigh anything I just keep packing until I run out of material. Then I pour either oil or ghee until almost covering product. Run as above.
Not at all very scientific. It's just for our family that I'm taking care of.

Ok I'm going to put this out there but I can't really tell you the why

All good! Sorry for putting you on the spot, but it's from a friendly place! hehe

I'm wondering about the container that was in the fridge for three weeks... can you describe the container it was in and if air-tight or not? The reason I ask is that the three week stew in the butter could have greatly increased the bioavailability of the THC by how it chemically reacted long term with the butter compounds, so knowing if the brew had access to fresh air over that time period is important to determine the relevant process.

Thank you!

All good! Sorry for putting you on the spot, but it's from a friendly place! hehe

I'm wondering about the container that was in the fridge for three weeks... can you describe the container it was in and if air-tight or not? The reason I ask is that the three week stew in the butter could have greatly increased the bioavailability of the THC by how it chemically reacted long term with the butter compounds, so knowing if the brew had access to fresh air over that time period is important to determine the relevant process.

Thank you!
This was done in my MB2 machine. Not necessarily air tight but not opened top either. Hope that helps.

Wandering through Forbes Magazine’s cannabis Christmas wish list I stumbled on this and stopped short. :woohoo:

WooHoo is right. :laughtwo: I’ve had my eye on this since it came on the market. Everything about the product excites me. I’m a fan of utility matched to beauty, and they hit the high marks in my book.

:hmmmm: I’ll look into smell containment before I get too excited this time. How much difference does it make with what I’m now achieving with my much more affordable Instant Pot?

It’s so easy to get attracted to shiny. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Wandering through Forbes Magazine’s cannabis Christmas wish list I stumbled on this and stopped short. :woohoo:

WooHoo is right. :laughtwo: I’ve had my eye on this since it came on the market. Everything about the product excites me. I’m a fan of utility matched to beauty, and they hit the high marks in my book.

:hmmmm: I’ll look into smell containment before I get too excited this time. How much difference does it make with what I’m now achieving with my much more affordable Instant Pot?

I was watching youtube videos of the Levo 2 yesterday.

I was musing about just running the same oil over and over again, to see what the saturation level would be.

I was watching youtube videos of the Levo 2 yesterday.

I was musing about just running the same oil over and over again, to see what the saturation level would be.

We’re pretty sure that more than three times through is diminishing returns for energy and time expended. What’s exciting us currently is the idea that infusing an oil through a couple cycles and then letting it sit for a few weeks before straining is potentiating in a way we simply don’t have a way yet to understand.

That may prove to be more effective than multiple runs.

I’m working on an unconventional theory, and I’d like some input, in particular from @InTheShed.

I have a neighbor with multiple physical challenges, among them fibromyalgia and cancer, for which she’s receiving radiation treatments. I’ve supplied her with a high-THC topical, which she gave to her daughter to counter migraines.

It worked! :yahoo: No surprise to us, eh?

When I replaced the bottle yesterday I suddenly thought of her dear husband, slipping faster and faster into dementia, and on an impulse I suggested she try some on his DMR to see if it would calm the agitation and lift his mood a bit.

I haven’t heard from her today - she’s a late sleeper - but I got to thinking about the fibromyalgia. There’s a theory that the disease is nothing more than the body misreading the pain perception, turning it up when it’s not really necessary.

I can see how the inactivity brought on by that much pain would contribute in a very real way to increasing the pain into something undeniably real, but this theory got me wondering how much relief she might get by using her extra-strength topical oil on her own neck and shoulders as a daily part of her healing regimen?

Any thoughts?

Hey Sue,

I want to decarb some rosin for making some edibles.
Since I will be adding oil and Sunflower Lecithin to the Decarb Rosin can I add the oil prior to decarb or should I wait and add the oil and lecithin when making the edibles?
Going to make Dave Groomers gummy bear recipe.

I’m working on an unconventional theory, and I’d like some input, in particular from @InTheShed.
I have a neighbor with multiple physical challenges, among them fibromyalgia and cancer, for which she’s receiving radiation treatments. I’ve supplied her with a high-THC topical, which she gave to her daughter to counter migraines.
It worked! :yahoo: No surprise to us, eh?
When I replaced the bottle yesterday I suddenly thought of her dear husband, slipping faster and faster into dementia, and on an impulse I suggested she try some on his DMR to see if it would calm the agitation and lift his mood a bit.
I haven’t heard from her today - she’s a late sleeper - but I got to thinking about the fibromyalgia. There’s a theory that the disease is nothing more than the body misreading the pain perception, turning it up when it’s not really necessary.
I can see how the inactivity brought on by that much pain would contribute in a very real way to increasing the pain into something undeniably real, but this theory got me wondering how much relief she might get by using her extra-strength topical oil on her own neck and shoulders as a daily part of her healing regimen?
Any thoughts?
I can't see how THC topical oil on the MDR would have any effect on mood or agitation, as both of those issues involve the brain. And as we know, topical applications of THC don't enter the bloodstream.

I don't know much about fibromyalgia, but any issue with the body and pain signals that run through the MDR could be affected by a THC topical, so it's definitely worth a shot! And who doesn't like having their neck and shoulders massaged :).

Oh, and @Amy Gardner might be able to shed some light on the subject! After all, 'twas she that said:
Some of what I have is very like fibromyalgia and arthritis and my topical oil is a life saver. Often I can wipe pain out completely wth that and a good dosing oil together

Hey Sue,
I want to decarb some rosin for making some edibles.
Since I will be adding oil and Sunflower Lecithin to the Decarb Rosin can I add the oil prior to decarb or should I wait and add the oil and lecithin when making the edibles?
Going to make Dave Groomers gummy bear recipe.
I would decarb first and then add the oil and the liquid sunflower lecithin (LSL). Oil is an insulator, which makes the decarb process take much longer. And the LSL and oil are supposed to be in the fridge overnight, so it's better if you don't add it immediately pre-gummy.

And for anyone making infused oils (as opposed to using rosin), LSL should always be added after infusion, per @Cannasavvy's experiment here.

I would decarb first and then add the oil and the liquid sunflower lecithin (LSL). Oil is an insulator, which makes the decarb process take much longer. And the LSL and oil are supposed to be in the fridge overnight, so it's better if you don't add it immediately pre-gummy.

And for anyone making infused oils (as opposed to using rosin), LSL should always be added after infusion, per @Cannasavvy's experiment here.

After I make the Decarb Rosin, oil and LSL (Rosin Mix) and prior to adding to the gummy mixture I will let the gummy mixture temp drop to at least 240 degrees F so not to damage the THC in the Rosin.

Shed.... thank you for reminding me of why we wait until the end for the addition of lecithin. :hug: If I’d had you proofread my blog on infused oils first I wouldn’t be contacting my guy today about edits. :battingeyelashes: I let myself be lazy with my own oils.

I’ll make the necessary changes and get them to him ASAP.

It's the RED grabbed my attention. :battingeyelashes:

Drop? I thought the hottest thing in a gummy recipe was boiling water.

Yes, I agree. I am use to making hard candies and you take them to Crack then let it cool to below 250.
Thanks bud.

Back
Top Bottom