SWICK Watering Systems: Letting The Plant Water Itself

Yep, I remember those days. My first was also with a dozen 23w cfl’s. How proud I was!! I guess I’m just reverting to my roots. The challenge of “getting the mostest with the leastest” is keeping things interesting!

@SweetSue @Bucudinkydow @veinz

Thanks for the warm welcome! it is a slow burn as work is hectic at the moment and the hydro store closes at 6pm, most times I will not make it there and have to wait for the weekend.
I need to buy another large bag of perlite to fill up the SWICK, one will not do... Also picked up some round hard pots to start the seedlings in as the main soil may be a bit hot for the babies, so 3 weeks of vegging in the small pots, then into 7 Gallon fabric pots with the soil (@SweetSue Will add more perlite, thanks for the tip!)

@Bucudinkydow
Don't know how you were reading my mind bro!! I was laying out my left over Reflectix to see if it would cover the SWICK tonight and it does! Very happy!!
Your plants look dope and the side lighting is a neat idea! Seen a few grows on IG done with LED side lighting and they looked great, lower buds were much better developed but some serious defoliation was also done to ensure maximum light penetration.

Today I decided that instead of growing a bunch of different strains, I am going to stick with just one this time.
Pink Kush is my all time favorite herb although I have never grown it myself. I have around 9 bagseeds from a batch of pretty decent Pink Kush, hoping I can coax a bit more out of the genetics!
Thinking of toppping once or twice and flipping to flower after about a month of veg, genetics dependent though...
Thinking of using some Organic ProMix Seedling to start them off in, has worked well in the past.
Aiming for 5 healthy plants, that should fill my grow area out nicely!

My soil is cooking with the heater next to it! I keep turning the soil everyday and think I should add a bit more water and EM1 to help mix some of the amendments. Will also be looking into adding some worms to the soil.

Also bought a bag of Bokashi Pro-Gro, still reading up on it but looks good so far!
Should be a good all round amendment.

After a bit of a read it seems pretty good, we will see!

Sorry to all for the late reply! I was only on page 8 when I posted and then went back and continued...
Just finished the entire thread with about a million scraps of paper with notes on it surrounding me...

Updates will be coming as soon as the seeds are germed and planted and above ground. We all know what soil looks like! LMAO!
I blame the rambling on the vaping...Sorry....LOL!

@lazylathe, my largest harvest of Dark Devil Auto was double my standard take. The difference? One big reflector with two bulbs illuminating the lower branches. I simply turned the plant 1/4 rotation every day. It was marvelous to watch.

If you’re in the states home depot has 2 cubic feet of perlite for $17. Been good for me.

I once grew 11 different strains together. BIG MISTAKE!! impossible to obtain even light distribution with such varied growth characteristics.

If you’re in the states home depot has 2 cubic feet of perlite for $17. Been good for me.

I once grew 11 different strains together. BIG MISTAKE!! impossible to obtain even light distribution with such varied growth characteristics.

Last grow was 5 different Auto's and it was a nightmare... Not doing that again!

I think it was @SweetSue that mentioned plants may talk to each other on a communal SWICK.
This is what has lead me down this avenue and the where I am now.

In Canada, so a big bag of perlite from the hydro store goes for around $30 and I needed 2 of them.
Should have some leftover to add to the soil mix as well.
Also added some Bokashi Pro-Gro with water to the soil to give it a good feeding for the microbes. Soil smells amazing!
Picked up 2 bags of Promix organic seedling mix to start the seeds in and they will veg for about 3 weeks.

The SWICK will only be started once the transplanting has been done and a few hand waterings are done to get the roots searching for water. Once they are settled it's all aboard the SWICK Cruise Liner!

Going to prep 5 PK seeds and drop them in some water, tomorrow morning they will go on some paper towel between 2 plates. Once they have a nice tail, they will be in the pots and organic soil.
Very excited for this basically hands free grow!
The unknown genetics are a bit concerning but you sometimes win with bagseed!
Either way it will be an excellent test of the soil mix, SWICK and environment.

@SweetSue
I saw a grow the other day with 5 plants on the giant, motorized lazy Susan!
Top and side lighting for the plants and they looked amazing, top to bottom!
Imagine that setup with a kids pool SWICK of perlite full of lush green plants!!!
I may add some COBS to the room but I already have 480 Watts at the wall, should be enough for a 4X4 grow area.

@Bucudinkydow
Thanks for coming back and posting! I have read your other threads and am not sure why it never caught on...
People are afraid of change, even when the change is just a resurrection of an old technique!
I say our forefathers grew way better fruit and vegetables that we do nowadays, most is pretty bland.
Remember eating fruit fresh off the tree in the backyard and it was always amazingly juicy, sweet and tasty!
The level of plant care has increased dramatically without putting too much thought into the life of the soil and the symbiosis the require!
Keep up the great work!

Returned to this today after an 18 day absence.
AACC7D39-DC5D-457F-B822-F75E85EF33D9.jpeg

Grew another 11” while I was gone. Now 51” at 9 weeks from seed under 12/12 from start. Surprisingly the growth continues to be straight up in spite of the fact its being lit from the side. About to get a major pruning.

Top colas looking promising.

CCD165A2-A64C-42E9-99BF-88A1A4CE9E31.jpeg

Good potential from the midsection.
FF008C4D-5583-4710-A52F-759E031AF80D.jpeg

And even the lowest section may be fruitful!
054A5C70-5A49-4A0F-B459-D5A8E910E2AB.jpeg

@Bucudinkydow
Looking great for 18 days of no care!!! The side lighting seems quite an interesting idea.
Hope it pays off in the end. She is a MONSTER!!!

In other news...
My bagseed Pink Kush seeds seem to not be doing anything productive... Will leave them for another few days and see if any germinate. If not, I will try some of my other older seeds from Amsterdam. if those don't work well, I may order or try another Auto run with the new soil.
Talking of soil, mine seems to be doing amazingly well! I was turning it over tonight and found a bunch of big and small worms!
I did not add any worms so they must have been in the EWC, although I do not remember seeing any.
At the moment the soil is kept at 24 Degrees Celsuis in a closed container. I am feeding it with EM-1 every now and then as well as adding Bokashi Pro-Gro and mixing it in well. It all smells so fresh!

Does anyone have a good germination technique?
Thinking of leaving the paper towels and going back to Jiffy expanding peat pellets.
ANy other ideas?

Thanx lazylathe and good luck on your ongoing endeavor.

I used to use rapid rooters prior to my swick system. Combined with the coco was causing stem rot. I’m thinking of trying the compressed peat pods.

I gently roll my seed on some medium grit sandpaper. Soak it in 16 oz of water with 1oz of hydrogen peroxide for 24 hours. Then it goes in folded damp paper towel that is inserted in a ziplock bag (keeps it from drying out) and placed on top of fridge for warmth. Just one of many successful methods.

Made my day Bucudinkydow. :cheesygrinsmiley: :green_heart: 18 days would decimate another garden. Well done. :high-five:

@Bucudinkydow

Does anyone have a good germination technique?
Thinking of leaving the paper towels and going back to Jiffy expanding peat pellets.
ANy other ideas?

@beez0404, care to take this one? :battingeyelashes:

@lazylathe and @SweetSue When it comes to germinating cannabis seeds my #1 go to method is hempy solo cup germination in perlite which I learned from the master SweetSue. Ask her nicely and I'll be she'll give you the full details of how it's done. Highest germination rate I've ever experienced using her tried and true method.

Thanx, Sue. The swick system has literally taken away the anxiety I used to suffer during my extended absences.

It was looking a tad droopy when I returned; I think probably from a little heat stress in the top of the cabinet. I’ve redirected the airflow a bit and inverted my led tubes so the business end is at the bottom now and it’s beginning to perk up again.

Finding the point of compatibility between the swick system and coco/perlite medium was a pretty steep learning curve but has turned out to be well worth the effort. This is the third plant I’ve grown since I got things dialed in and they’ve all been monsters! Color me happy with the system!!

If you'll click on the link in my signature and go to my thread starting on page 1 is where I give some instructions on germinating in perlite/hempy solo cups.

Thank you beez. :hug:

Ordered some more Pink Kush seeds as well as some Godfather OG, should be fun.

I added some Bokashi and Myco's to the top of the soil a day ago and a nice fuzz of white mycellium is growing on top.
Will turn it over again in a day or so.

Nothing else going on at the moment, waiting for seeds to arrive or try some older Sannie's Seeds that i still have.
I will wait for shipping notification and then decide. Soil has been cooking for almost 2 weeks now, guess another 2 weeks will not hurt.

Ooops... Forgot to post the above last night...

@beez0404 @SweetSue
Thanks for the germination tips and I will be sure to go and hunt for them on this forum.

I started 4 more seeds this morning, they are about 5 or so years old. They are from Sannie's seeds over in Amsterdam.
Strains now are Sannie's Jack and Killing Fields, both amazing strains.
I scarified them and took off the ridge around the seed very carefully. Then into shot glasses to soak for 12 hours.
A few hours ago I placed them into pots with organic seedling Promix. This has always worked well for me in the past.

If these ones do not show their heads in a week or so, i will start the new seeds.
Will be using the Perlite Hempy cup method next time!

@beez0404 Reading your journal now! Can you send me some "Lucky Perlite?"

Just to update...

None of my old seeds popped at all. They were most definitely not kept in the best of conditions for a few years...

My seeds arrived and then after some research of the company I find they are most likely shills, selling feminized seeds.
Grab a bag, grab seeds from the general bag and fill tube and slap the appropriate label on it... So I am unsure as to what to do with them.
I also ordered some Reeferman Pink Kush seeds and some Purple Death Bubba seeds, very excited about these ladies!

My soil is still cooking up a storm and the earthworms are breeding and getting rather large!
I turn the soil once or twice a day with a day or so break between turnings. It also gets some Bokashi Pro-Gro sprinkled on top and left till a nice, pure white myco forms. This is worked back into the soil.
The wormies are also getting some grated carrot to eat and after a day whatever is still on top gets turned into the soil.
I am extremely happy with how my tub of soil is turning out with living things in it that are thriving!

I am also throwing around the idea of removing the bottom of my 1 gallon plastic pots and replacing it with a weed barrier cloth that will hold perlite and then on top, the potting soil. They will only hit the SWICK once the roots are poking out the bottom. Be there for 3 weeks and then into 7 gallon pots of my soil and onto the real SWICK.

So still here, just waiting for something to happen...

Here is the SWICK filled with perlite and RO water...waiting...
20191109_112611.jpg

Looking good, lazylathe. Too bad about the seeds. Good luck. Looks like the fun is about to begin.

IT HAS BEGUN!!!
5 Red Solo cups full of perlite are soaking with RO water and Kelp mix for 3 hours.
5 Pink Kush seeds will be added later today and clear Solo cups placed on top and then onto the seedling warming mat.

I have decided to pop the "pink Kush" seeds as they look nice and healthy and are large in size.
Paid for them, may as well grow them out and see what I get!
Hoping to see some helmets in 3 days time!

It has begun...
20191123-162649.jpg

20191123-162854.jpg

Unfortunately the clear Solo cups are smaller than the red ones... The store did not have matching ones.
I have used some clear kitchen wrap around the two of them to prevent more moisture loss.
Transplanting any that germinate is going to be an interesting experiment...LOL!

I also have 5 supposed Godfather OG Kush seeds waiting. I want to do 5 plants this run, so it may be a mix if all 5 PK seeds do not germinate.

Checked the SWICK bed for the first time since filling it and the top layer is nice and damp! Very happy that there are no leaks as well. I can see the fabric pots working really well with this setup.

The soil is still doing it's thing and I turn it every few days. I see more and more earthworms cruising around in the soil, so that must be a good sign since I did not add any. They must have come from the EWC.
I water it every now and then with some EM1 to keep the microbes happy.
The Bokashi Pro-Gro is keeping the soil and worms very happy and the soil smells so sweet and fresh.
I add some mycos once a week or so and mix them in well.
The next time the soil gets some water it will be made with kelp as the food source.

Hoping for some magic perlite!

Back
Top Bottom