SWICK Watering Systems: Letting The Plant Water Itself

water-butt-tap-227-p.jpg

i am going to fill the holes with a spray , its instant leak fix , then im adding two taps one at each side for flushing

I highly recommend that you install a wide pipe for watering. I used 3" PVC and it was a bit slow to add 4-5 gallons. A diameter of 4-6"+ is a good idea.

I think you are wasting resources and adding potential problems installing taps 'for flushing'. (Why add something that will potentially leak or break your tubs without a good reason?)

When do you think you will need to drain these tub?

and this is another reason i want to go hydro , this is a usb microscope but it dosnt take pictures now for some reason so i used a second camera to take a pictuer , what you see is a taproot from my seeds that i knew was taking too long to sprout ( root aphids ) little feckers, ... need to uproot every thing and bleach out my room

P1090873.JPG

and this is another reason i want to go hydro , this is a usb microscope but it dosnt take pictures now for some reason so i used a second camera to take a pictuer , what you see is a taproot from my seeds that i knew was taking too long to sprout ( root aphids ) little feckers, ... need to uproot every thing and bleach out my room

P1090873.JPG

Damn!!! Good luck professor.

In the middle of my first grow I stumbled onto a thread on another site, posted by one Noobwannb, showing how to set up. SWICK. Watering system. It's essentially a wicking system that has a broad surface of wicking material in a deep basin that your pots sit on top of. The concept fired my imagination and I set up my own to fit my tiny closet. It was one of the smartest moves of my growing journey to date. The smartest was choosing the Clackamas Coots-style Living Organic Soil mix.

Hi Sweet Sue thanks for starting this thread! The input from everyone here has been great.

I understand that autoflowers do better by being planted in the pot they're going to be finished in. I keep reading that they don't like the shock of transplanting. The question I have is that is if one plants some autoflower seeds in 3 gallon pots with Clackamas soil, can a person use the SWICK system from the beginning to end? I'm not entirely sure how to treat seedlings in this type of environment.

My final question is, has anyone here heard of RootTrapper II pots? Are these pots suitable to SWICK?:Root Trapper II Squat 5 Gal - Hydro Galaxy

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi Sweet Sue thanks for starting this thread! The input from everyone here has been great.

I understand that autoflowers do better by being planted in the pot they're going to be finished in. I keep reading that they don't like the shock of transplanting. The question I have is that is if one plants some autoflower seeds in 3 gallon pots with Clackamas soil, can a person use the SWICK system from the beginning to end? I'm not entirely sure how to treat seedlings in this type of environment.

My final question is, has anyone here heard of RootTrapper II pots? Are these pots suitable to SWICK?:Root Trapper II Squat 5 Gal - Hydro Galaxy

Thanks so much in advance!

JunkCollector, Welcome to :420:

I used a SWICK with BuildaSoil Clackamas mix for about a year before I moved. My grow was divided into Early Veg (up to 1 gallon pots,) Late Veg (up to 10 gallon pots,) and Flowering. For optimum root growth, young plants need the soil to dry out between waterings.

After about 5 months, I settled into:

Early Veg (up to 1 gallon pots) - no SWICK,
Late Veg (up to 10 gallon pots) - SWICK watered once every 20+ days - top watering of the thirstier plants until all pots dried out,
Flowering (7-10 gallon pots) - SWICK watered every 1-2 days - constantly moist*.
(*Skipping water for 7 days was no issue, I just prefered carrying 2 5-gallon buckets daily to carrying 10 5-gallon buckets once a week. Also I like to let the water stand and adjust to room temperature before watering.)

FYI - My current grow is divided into Veg and Flower. I am not running a SWICK in Veg. I will be running a SWICK in Flower as soon as my perlite arrives :)

After seeing the word SWICK more times than i saw my current girlfriend last week i decided to read this informative thread. I had to see what all the fuss was about. Thank you to everyone for their detailed posts and pictures. I have just completed a crash in SWICK now and fell like i learnt a lot, all without ever opening a bag of perlite.

I will definitely use this system for when i'm out of town in the future as it will save me having to ask a helper to feed the ladies.

:thanks: Sweet Sue. Next on my list your oil making thread.

Hi eveybody,
i am an MPNST patient,
i wanna try this SWICK Method to grow some medicinal cannabis.
I am a bit confused.
The SWICK is what will give to the plants the nutriment,
but if there are deficiency,
i have to take the pots and give the fertilizer far away from the SWICK to not pollute the water in the perlite.
I hope i have understood.
If not,
give me some advices.
There are other precautions?
Is usefull to have enzymes or other particular products?
Thanks for your help.

Hi eveybody,
i am an MPNST patient,
I am a bit confused.
i have to take the pots and give the fertilizer far away from the SWICK to not pollute the water in the perlite.
If not,
give me some advices.
Thanks for your help.
I'm just reading this thread and from what I understand the swick only provides hydration and you don't want to get nutrition mixed in there otherwise you start growing bad stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using 420

Hi eveybody,
i am an MPNST patient,
I am a bit confused.
If not,
give me some advices.
Thanks for your help.

I'm just reading this thread and from what I understand the swick only provides hydration and you don't want to get nutrition mixed in there otherwise you start growing bad stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using 420

Welcome mostarda and KeithVi - both new to posting on 420 magazine forums :)

A SWICK is a form of advanced watering technique that works best for Living Organic Soil (LOS) growing techniques relying on foliar nutrition and soil teas.
A SWICK is also a relatively healthy way to water your plant if you need to be away from them for 2-3 weeks.

There are other ways to water. Personally, I would not recommend it on your first time growing plants.
There are a lot more important things to focus on, such as Light, heat, humidity, basic watering, growing medium, air, and nutrition.
In that list of 7 items, a SWICK is item 4B.

mostarda,

If you like to tell us a little about how you woud like to grow ( organic conventional, indoor,/outdoor, big plants, quick harvests, hydro/soil, big lights, low budget.)

As a person with an MPNST diagnosis, depending on urgency, you may desire to use commercially available Concentrated Cannabis Oil (CCO aka RSO) to begin treatments now and transition to growing a strain where you create your own CCO at a lower cost and a higher quality. Depending on where you live, you might also be able to work with a caregiver to grow for you. If this is your interest, there is a community of people involved in self-treatment of cancerous ailments which over laps with those creating CCO.
:cco:

Try to find a reason to smile each morning and let us know a little more about what you are looking for so we can help you find the right growers here at 420 magazine.

KeithVi,

Congratulations on making your first post a helping hand to someone else.:bravo:
Nicely done in the spirit of :420:

Well,
what i would make is grow in a 40x40x120cm space with a COB Led Light, like Vero 29, to produce 00 capsules with this method:
Extracting With Oils | Skunk Pharm Research LLC
I know the basic knoledge of cannabis growth,
and my interest in SWICK system is to operate better in so small space.
So,
i wanna grow in this space,
with organic soil,
with a light cycle of 12/12,
and...
i think i am low budget.
My nuts are only FloraNova Bloom,
because with a short vegetative period i don't need other,
but i was thinking for use SWICK i maybe need Enzymes like Cannazym or other products.
Anyway thanks for your help and no,
where i live there isn't any support with Cannabis.
All by my self is the way.
And i apologise with SweetSue to have gone Off Topic and my bad english.
LOL

p.s.
i can't find the Log Out button

Great idea. I thought about something like this before looking on the bottom of my tent. This might get me over 8 days out of the house, i have plenty of perlite and the plants have some exess, so this plain water thing seems good.

3x 8LAirpots and 2 regular pots 11L/ 18L are used. Maybe several thick layers of a strong plastic bag on the bottom of the tent could be a container for the perlite. Will be impossible to get a 2x3 container for me until i have to leave.

Current Grow SeymoreNuggets Flowering Journal - Nebula & Atomical Haze - Soil - 2x3 - 420W DIY COB

My journey seeking the light. Found some
SeymoreNuggets DIY For Noobs - Build Lights - CO2 Supplements - Auto-Watering - More

Well,
what i would make is grow in a 40x40x120cm space with a COB Led Light, like Vero 29, to produce 00 capsules with this method:
Extracting With Oils | Skunk Pharm Research LLC

I like a person with a plan... what a good start !

For oil extraction and 00 capsules you probably want to go with a concentrated cannabis oil (CCO) NOT an infused cannabis oil.

2 threads where people actively talk about CCO:
Cannabis Oil Users Cafe & Lounge
A Base Treatment Regimen for Cancer

A less active thread about making CCO:
How To Make Concentrated Cannabis Oil

I know the basic knoledge of cannabis growth,
and my interest in SWICK system is to operate better in so small space.
So,
i wanna grow in this space,
with organic soil,
with a light cycle of 12/12,

Ok. I am seeing your plan and it seems a good plan for a small space. If you grow from autoflower seeds this will be an excellent environment. With a 40x40cm space on the floor and only 120cm tall, you really only have space for 1 short plant or 4 short and skinny plants. Your yield will be better with one short plant. Autoflowers produce more flowers in shorter time than regular photoperiod cannabis. You will get bigger, faster flowers with autoflower plants.

I can see you growing one 20cm tall plant in the center of your grow box and in the last 2-4 weeks before harvest, starting another plant in the corner of the grow box. At harvest, the little plant moves to the center.

The believe the SWICK moisture would be good for autoflower because they are all about grow, grow, grow.
I don't know, because I have not grown autoflower.

DrZiggy grows some lovely plants in organic or near organic soil and has a great knowledge and curiousity. If he doesn't grow autoflowers, he has people on his thread who do. DrZiggy's 2nd Journal - ACE Seeds - Doc Buds High Brix Kit - LEDs

W
and...
i think i am low budget.
My nuts are only FloraNova Bloom,
because with a short vegetative period i don't need other,
but i was thinking for use SWICK i maybe need Enzymes like Cannazym or other products.
Anyway thanks for your help and no,
where i live there isn't any support with Cannabis.
All by my self is the way.
And i apologise with SweetSue to have gone Off Topic and my bad english.
LOL

p.s.
i can't find the Log Out button

I think you are on a practical budget. Not a low budget :)

I hear FloraNova nutes are good. They sound like a good place to start. You probably need a combination of grow and bloom nutes. You won't need any nutes for 3 weeks, so you can get started without deciding on nutes :)

For SWICK you don't use enzymes, that is more for true hydroponic. I don't recommend hydroponic when growing to make medicinal oil.

Don't apologize to SweetSue. She is going on vacation in Jamaica today :) She doesn't care :rofl: :rofl:

- - -

I know I am giving advice. Sorry if it sounds like a lecture. I think you have an excellent plan.

The best idea NOW is for you to start a grow journal thread.
Journals in Progress
At the bottom in a box it says [post New Thread ]

Give a title like "mostarda's first grow: organic medical autoflowers in 40x40cm" or something that you like that describes what people can watch.

If you put it in your signature, people will subscribe and offer you help. It is the best way to ask questions and get help here :)

You are off to a great start. Well done.

p.s. I don't log off :rofl:

Hi Radogast...

i'm still here.

If i use a plate of 40x40x6 cm as SWICK container,
i only have a space of 3cm for watering in it.
Do you think is enough for four skinny plants?
I have read to not go above 15cm, maybe i'm wrong.
Is also difficult to find a square container, LOL!
And,
no,
i don't use autoflowering seeds but feminised and regular seeds.
I have also purchased texpot of 3L.
p.s.
thank you,
maybe i have seen you on ICmag on the SIP's thread...
i am a bit confused.

Dazed and confused!

Back
Top Bottom