Switching from starter tank to tent

Failwyn

0F0DC5A4-5022-4B31-8FE3-DBD8B8AB7746.jpeg
I’m about 2 weeks in on my first attempt (Harlequin); I’m starting in a 20g fish tank with 25W LED reef hood; I’m starting to prepare a tent area for the next stage, I have a 600W Mars Hydro TS 600 and am looking into a carbon filter to control odor and had some questions.

When switching from the tank to the tent, is the 4x increase in light going to harm a young plant? Should I start the light far away to reduce shock and slowly lower it? Are all 4 inch carbon filters created equal? Do they really remove the odor? Is one plant going to have an obvious odor throughout the room? So far I’m just using basic home depot potting soil and distilled water, this is mainly a proof of concept to figure out if I’m capable before investing in real equipment; I’ll never be raising more than one plant at a time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to 420 magazine @Failwyn

The Mars hydro light will come with recommended hanging heights. It's usually between 24 and 18 inches for early veg.. I would say all Carbon filters do the same thing; but you won't need a filter till mid flower anyway, so you have a little time before you need one; if you need one even, some plants don't smell that bad

Potting soil is fine, but it will need up potted very soon. I use a young plant mix, until day 25 ish, then I up pot into a mature plant compost for their final home..

Have a browse through the forums, and check out some of the members grows, it will help you on your journey to a successful harvest:cheesygrinsmiley:
If you would like to say "Hi" to everyone, pop over to this thread Introduce Yourself
You will be inundated with greetings, you can also ask a few questions there and the folks will be more than happy to help..
If you're stuck navigating around, just give me a shout @Paul Squiggle
I will get this thread moved to Frequently Asked Questions
You will have better luck at getting answers there too. Have a browse though that forum also. It's full of similar questions.

Take care

Paul

Welcome to 420 magazine @Failwyn

The Mars hydro light will come with recommended hanging heights. It's usually between 24 and 18 inches for early veg.. I would say all Carbon filters do the same thing; but you won't need a filter till mid flower anyway, so you have a little time before you need one.. if you need one even, some plants don't smell that bad

Potting soil is fine, but it will need up potted very soon. I use a young plant mix, until day 25 ish, then I up pot into a mature plant compost for their final home..

Have a browse through the forums, and check out some of the members grows, it will help you on your journey to a successful harvest:cheesygrinsmiley:
If you would like to say "Hi" to everyone, pop over to this thread Introduce Yourself
You will be inundated with greetings, you can also ask a few questions there and the folks will be more than happy to help..
If your stuck navigating around just give me a shout @Paul Squiggle
I will get this thread moved to Frequently Asked Questions
You will have better luck at getting answers there too. Have browse though that forum also. It's full of similar questions.

Take care

Paul
Is a 1 gallon fabric potting bag a sufficient final size? Some youtube channel I’ve been following said that’s all you will need indoors; I’ve heard a lot about light shock from multiple sources which is why I was wondering about an intermediate step between moving to the tent with the TS600 from the 100W equivalent; I was debating shading some of the light for a week; If it’s not a concern that saves some ingenuity… Thanks for the tips, I’ll certainly head over and introduce myself! I’m a bit overly excited and don’t have many people to share it with The wife just says cool and I can’t show the kids

Is a 1 gallon fabric potting bag a sufficient final size? Some youtube channel I’ve been following said that’s all you will need indoors; I’ve heard a lot about light shock from multiple sources which is why I was wondering about an intermediate step between moving to the tent with the TS600 from the 100W equivalent; I was debating shading some of the light for a week; If it’s not a concern that saves some ingenuity… Thanks for the tips, I’ll certainly head over and introduce myself! I’m a bit overly excited and don’t have many people to share it with The wife just says cool and I can’t show the kids
1 gallon will get you a nice little plant. There's a saying on here "the bigger the roots, the bigger the fruits " if you wanted to grow a monstor plant, you would get a monster pot.
The plant should be OK with the light, keep it at 30inches for the first few days, then lower it to the 18 or 24, Just so it gets used to it.
Oh! It gets even more exciting when they start flowering.. it's an amazing hobby..
Anyway, you've got us to share it with now :) hopefully we can get you through this. It took me a few attempts before I got a plant to live; I still struggle to keep plants alive :laugh:

Hey Failwyn,

The compressed peat pots are supposed to allow the roots to grow right thru the sides, but we have seen where they restrict the roots from doing so. I would suggest when you upcan to peel off the outer layer

One gallon is tiny to bring a plant to flower….yes you can do it but just as Squiggle said….bigger roots = bigger fruits. Most recommend 3 to 5 gallons for autos and like 7 to 15 for photos but with soil bigger is always better.

drop a journal and we can keep an eye on you…

welcome aboard

1 gallon will get you a nice little plant. There's a saying on here "the bigger the roots, the bigger the fruits " if you wanted to grow a monstor plant, you would get a monster pot.
The plant should be OK with the light, keep it at 30inches for the first few days, then lower it to the 18 or 24, Just so it gets used to it.
Oh! It gets even more exciting when they start flowering.. it's an amazing hobby..
Anyway, you've got us to share it with now :) hopefully we can get you through this. It took me a few attempts before I got a plant to live; I still struggle to k
Anyway, you've got us to share it with now :) hopefully we can get you through this. It took me a few attempts before I got a plant to live; I still struggle to keep plants alive :laugh:

I’d say keep them it’s good for transition. Most here start in solo cup then upcan to half gallon or gallon then jump to large final container… 5 gallons is not very large for flowering but depends on media type, enviro etc

don’t just upcan because you think they are ready…. get input from the group…? I recently made this mistake again along with overwatering and now I’ve got a 10 week old SSH that’s barely 8 - 9 nodes of growth…

In top menu bar go to grow room then grow journals….. helps to write up your all details in first paragraph…. grow space size, lights, ventilation, nutes etc

heres link How to make grow journal

Welcome to 420, Failwyn!:welcome:
Is one plant going to have an obvious odor throughout the room?
Yes...and not just the room- the whole house will have that "this guy is growing weed" smell... :)
Sometimes they start stinkin' at 2 weeks old, but the real stink comes with flowering...
So, unless the Mrs. and everyone that visits you are cool with the smell of weed, you should invest in some sort of odor control.
I grow one plant at a time in the house, so I've been down this road quite a few times...the Mrs. doesn't like the smell, but she puts up with it because "that's where the gummies come from" :)

edit* forgot to say I don't use any odor control...

Back
Top Bottom