T5 HO Seed Starting and Early Growth Distance Questions

BillZ

If one is using a T5 HO 4FT 8 Bulb fixture when starting with seeds in a grow tent what is the proper or best distance for the light to be from planting medium top surface. I say medium because folks start seeds in seed trays, little Jiffy Pots, 3 oz Dixie cup (these work great when using the peat plugs as when wet and swelled up to max size they fit perfectly in the 3 oz Dixie cup and transplant very easily), and many folks will start seedlings today using the 18 oz Solo cups these appear to be quite popular in the grow community.

It looks like using the 18 oz Solo cups; 16 fit very nicely under the center of the unit with only one of the switches on or 4 bulbs and they are seedlings. What are the rules of thumb using the T5's units when starting with seeds.

Additionally, if one started with clones wouldn't that be equivalent to when a seeded plant reaches about 4" in height? Therefore what would be the best distance to start with clones?

Thanks

It seems as if you have answered your own question.

I like to run my t5 around 8 to 12 inches above the seedlings because they grow fast and can get burned by the heat.

This is just the way I do it,some people like to put theirs a lot closer to get less of a stretch but this can also burn your plants if you don't check on them often.

What do you mean by "medium"?

solo,

I was asking what distance would work best when starting with seeds and with clones. You are saying 8" to 12" above the soil surface for the seeds. I went with 12" and they seem to be doing fine. First time starting with a T5 and going to try to go the distance.

By "medium" I am speaking of the growing medium used for containing the soil or soil less mix. Jiffy pots, little Dixie cups, Solo cups 18 oz, 1 quart pots up to 1, 3, 5, 10 gallon pots are all containers or mediums in this case.

Ah, here's another one of those interesting thoughts I was thinking about the other day when starting with some seeds under the T5's. It's a given 6400K is for vegetation stage growth but what about when you are starting with seeds. Just as this time of season outside the plants are all flowering and the sun is lower in the sky and inside it would be using the 2700K bulbs for flowering isn't the exact same thing applicable for using the T5 for the seedlings the first two weeks or so. I mean starting the seeds under the 2700K bulbs the first two weeks and then switch to the 6400K. Isn't the early spring sun lower in the sky and rays more equivalent to the lower spectrum at that time of the year for mother nature? And we want to copy mother nature as best we can.

I guess starting them under 2700 would work but everything that I have read kind of leans toward stretching.I always start mine a little further away and adjust for stretch and I leave about 2 inches in the pot to fill in around the stem so it doesn't fall over.

Your thought on the 2700 for the first 2 weeks could be a good idea and let me know how that works.I have the same size light from hydrofarm and I have 6 6500k and 2 2700k bulbs in it and the last time I used it I had it about 18 inches away without ill affect but I had to leave town for a while and that is why I put it so high.

That is just what I do and I do the same for rooted clones.I also noticed that even that light throws off quite a bit of heat and can burn the canopy at a close distance.

And for the medium I use what works for me and I am comfortable using.I use to use those little jiffy pots but have since switched to hydro and now use rock wool.I have read around and some growers on here say they don't get good results using rockwool but I have no choice.Solo cups work great and gives you more time before transplant.If you transplant into containers that are a step up at a time like from a solo cup to 1 gallon to 2 gallon and so on,you will build a stronger root ball and in turn have a healthier plant with a bountiful harvest...:) SOLO

hahaha I use coffee cups that i buy when i get my morning coffee from Tim Hortons. I use the medium sized cups and start them off there lol I think i have collected over 30 empty cups I wash them out with some hot water and it has worked like a charm for me so far.

Back
Top Bottom