T5 Lights

Way ahead of you on the Grow Journal view. LOL. You have some yummy, sticky looking plants! :)
I am trying to just get the veg lights together. And on a budget. the 45 watts, they do sell those here. about $12 per.
I subscribed to a few of your threads. I will be back to check out the cloning one in a month or so :goodjob:

I found a light I had, bought a while ago, never used. It's a "grow bulb" Sylvania 150, man that sucker is HOT! I won't be using that one! I need to avoid the heat, so I can avoid an A/C unit for the girlies!

Big hopes right? hehehe

Way ahead of you on the Grow Journal view. LOL. You have some yummy, sticky looking plants! :)
I am trying to just get the veg lights together. And on a budget. the 45 watts, they do sell those here. about $12 per.
I subscribed to a few of your threads. I will be back to check out the cloning one in a month or so :goodjob:

I found a light I had, bought a while ago, never used. It's a "grow bulb" Sylvania 150, man that sucker is HOT! I won't be using that one! I need to avoid the heat, so I can avoid an A/C unit for the girlies!

Big hopes right? hehehe

:thanks: for subscribing to some of my threads! :)

Heat is going to be a problem even with T5s and CFLs, so you may not be able to get away without some form of cooling arrangement. At least in the summer. Winter may be easier to deal with if you have a way to get the cooler air from the other parts of the house into your grow area.

I know for me, if I close up my Bloom Room for about 90 minutes in the summer with the lights on and close down the vent from our central AC, the temp goes from about 76 degrees up to 89 F really fast. I wouldn't be surprised if it hit 100 in there after 3 hours of no ventilation.

If you want to get away from the heat issue with your lighting, then you need to look at LEDs. Thay ain't cheap though! I've toyed with the idea myself, but still can't justify the expense when I have all these perfectly good T5 and CFL fixtures all over the place, and my MAIN Man Mr. Sun! during the summer growing season! ;)

Yes, In Sunny California.. I have lots of the "ol natural" too. I can vent, use an "inline" fan, or plan to. I just do not have a way for the A/C.
I started 3 seeds 10 days ago. Under two 4 ft tubes. I do not think it's enough for them. They are growing, yet not like I thought they would. But I am also afraid if I try to kick them into high gear, they will topple over! The stem is so skinny! I will try to take a photo and load it. New to this....

SANY00102.JPG
SANY00052.JPG
SANY00011.JPG

Yep! When they start stretching like that so early it is a sign they want more light energy.

You should also put a fan on them set to low to give them a little breeze to excesize their stalks and force them to grow thicker ones. Otherwise, you will have very whispy plants that will won't be able to support their own weight. ;)

On that tall one, maybe plant it deeper in the larger pot and bury half that stem underground at the same time you add a fan to the grow area. :)

Thanks for looking and the suggestions. I do have a fan on them, but didn't want to give them whiplash. I will let them get a little more exercise, turn it more to them.
I will have to figure out what lights to invest in for the little Girlies. Been looking around online. I checked a few of the links here too. For now, I need more light.
I am going to use an aeroponics system. No soil... Hydroton... Do you think it will be okay to bury the stem still?

oh yes me too. I lowered the light to within an inch or two of them a few days ago. They don't seem to have moved. They do however need MORE light. I am going to add a few CFL bulbs for now. See if they will get a little width, not height to them...?
Just to clarify, they grew tall like that in the first week! I had the light about 10 inches from their tops.

oh yes me too. I lowered the light to within an inch or two of them a few days ago. They don't seem to have moved. They do however need MORE light. I am going to add a few CFL bulbs for now. See if they will get a little width, not height to them...?
Just to clarify, they grew tall like that in the first week! I had the light about 10 inches from their tops.

With seedlings, I try to keep the lights more like 2 - 4 inches away from the tops of the plants, with something in the range of a 45 watt CFL or a High Output T5 tube array like the four and six tube Hydrofarm fixtures pictured at the front of my grow journal.

Between the additional light and a constant "light" breeze blowing across the plants, they should thicken up and get stronger. You really can't force it into a BUSH shape until they are much bigger and you start looking into TOPPING and other forms of pruning to control growth and direction of growth.

There are lots of ino on here about all of that, so definitely check it out as you wait for your plants to get to the next stage of growth! :thumb:

T5 bulbs are manufactured to compete with high intensity discharge bulbs in terms of light intensity and output. While one single T5 light bulb does not have the capacity to match the intensity and light output of one high intensity discharge bulb, four T5 bulbs combined offer a comparable output. T5 fluorescent bulbs are often found in desk lighting applications, while high output T5 bulbs are typically used as light sources for whole rooms or warehouses.

I bought mine at a gardening website, it is the first time trying them, I just want to start some seeds an a few clones. for personal use I start them inside as we have a short growing season. I have broad spectrum lights Sun Blaster. Will they be good for what I want to do with them. I want them to flower outside. I think sun outside is best.
I would appreciate any tips on this

I use T5s exclusively for all my indoor growing areas. You might want to consider a 6 tube fixture since it is a tad wider and covers the canopy a little better. I use a 4' X 6 tube fixture in my flowering room and a 4 tube in my veg room. High wattage CFLs can also be added as side fills and such. All depends on how much $$ you've got to spend. ;)

T-5;s would be a good choice for veging, I also use them through the entire grow ......:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom