T5 or Metal Halide?

MacEFL

I need to add a 4x4 veg tent to my arsenal. Am I better off getting a 8 bulb T5 or get another 600 watt system and run MH? For those that have used both which do you continue to use and for those who have only used one of the 2 please tell me what you like/dislike about your set up. Thanks.

I've never seen the real need for massive light power in veg, unless you're commercial, or running 10+ plants - I've seen excellent results from 25w CFLs placed an inch above the plants for 3 weeks, then flipped.

just my two penneth, but I'd go with the T5s :peace:

Hey Mac :high-five:

Go with T5's...I quit using MH almost a yr ago and unless I jump on the LED bandwagon T5's have worked excellent for me.

I keep them about 6 to 12" above tips, but have had them touching the bulbs as well with no issues.

My 4' - 4bulb 6500K bulbs keep an ambient temp of 72 degrees with 1 small fan to circulate air in my closet 2x6

Thanks for the replies guys. Theengineer, I have a home made cfl reflector that has about 250 actual watts worth of bulbs, and yes, they do work. But it doesn't have enough footprint nor wattage IMO for a 4x4. Heady, I want a 6 or 8 bulb so I can run only half the bulbs in early veg and then kick it up a notch for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I already have a 4" extractor fan and a oscillating fan, just need the tent and fixture. Just need to find the best deal on the new equipment.

I got a 8 bulb off Ama for 136 and it has the switch to shut 4 bulbs off I picked up 2 for my veg room works really nice I thought I got screwed when I ran test for temp with lights on didn't seem bright came back 5 min later to check temp wow they light up my whole 9 x 12 room nice just give them a few mins to warm up. I think would work great for a tent as doesn't mess with temp too much and you don't have to worry about burning your plants plus gotta be way cheaper to run than a 600. I pay a quite a bit a month to run my 1000 should have thought about that before I got that.

big CFLs aren't as good as lots of smaller ones as they're too hot to get close, and the coverage isn't as good as with the spacing of smaller units.

if you have T5s, go with them, if not, consider 25/23w CFLs and do this;

DSC008456.JPG

and by day 13/14 I consistently have something that resembles this;

DSC009197.JPG

and by day 21, when I flip them, they look like this [these are actually day 19]

DSC010478.JPG

I currently use a 600W MH. The light it gives off is fine for the plants and things are easier when you only have one bulb to worry about, only thing to worry about is the extra heat given off by it. Raises the temp of my tent by around 8 or 9F.

Mac, I see 4 and 8 bulb T5's on craigslist...80-$100 bucks......seems like there is a urban supply store offering new around $109 depending on number of bulbs.

No need for MH...runs much hotter than HPS and that 18hr power draw is wasted $$$ imo

Back
Top Bottom