Taco leaf causes?

Pragmatosis

420 Member
Hi everyone. I’m a 1st time grower and have been doing a lot of reading. Here is a pic of my setup.
920DA46E-59CD-4AA8-B1F3-6547EF10E700.jpeg

The plants in buckets are 8 days old and some seem to be in better condition than others. I have a few that has “taco leaf” BUT instead of curling upwards mine are curling downwards.
00EC8665-3380-4A21-A031-8BEE12A351DF.jpeg

does anyone know what could cause this? How can I improve condition?

I plan to let the soil dry over next few days, since they were just transplanted a few hours ago and watered. I raised the lights and they are now about 3.75 ft about the plants. Should I just wait and see now?

I have 2x 2000W LED Farmurs lights side by side. About 1/3 of the 12 plants are having taco like issues and I’m not sure how to fix it!

My lights were about 3ft above until I recently raised them another .75ft (unfortunately I cant raise them any higher without changing some ropes and stuff).
Thanks for the advice and words of wisdom from your experienced growers!

Hi @DookieFreshness and welcome to the forum!:welcome:

Sometimes a lot of reading without the practical experience of actually growing these weeds, can lead us to believe a lot of things that are not true.

First, the term tacoing actually refers to a very severe problem that can happen when a couple of conditions occur, usually heat or light stress, and it indicates a severe bit of damage happening to the leaves. You don't have anything like that going on... leaves bend and twist all the time, and most often people get confused as to the term tacoing when the plant is happily reaching its leaves up toward the light, or praying as some call it. This is actually a very good thing to see, and has nothing to do with the term tacoing either.
Many times the leaves will point toward the ground, and this usually indicates that there is a problem at the root area, with feeding or watering or something else, and again, when it is an indication of a problem, it is usually pretty dramatic. Yours are not doing that either, at least not to the point of taco leaf or really indicating a problem, other than your report of slow growth.

I suspect that your plants are reacting adversely to the way you are watering those tiny little plants in those huge 5 gallon containers. I strongly recommend that you read my study on how to properly water a small plant in a large container and get your seedlings on track. I really don't see anything wrong with your plants yet, but I do want you to read the watering thread anyway... I suspect it will help you quite a bit. The link is down below.

Good luck!

Hi @DookieFreshness and welcome to the forum!:welcome:

Sometimes a lot of reading without the practical experience of actually growing these weeds, can lead us to believe a lot of things that are not true.

First, the term tacoing actually refers to a very severe problem that can happen when a couple of conditions occur, usually heat or light stress, and it indicates a severe bit of damage happening to the leaves. You don't have anything like that going on... leaves bend and twist all the time, and most often people get confused as to the term tacoing when the plant is happily reaching its leaves up toward the light, or praying as some call it. This is actually a very good thing to see, and has nothing to do with the term tacoing either.
Many times the leaves will point toward the ground, and this usually indicates that there is a problem at the root area, with feeding or watering or something else, and again, when it is an indication of a problem, it is usually pretty dramatic. Yours are not doing that either, at least not to the point of taco leaf or really indicating a problem, other than your report of slow growth.

I suspect that your plants are reacting adversely to the way you are watering those tiny little plants in those huge 5 gallon containers. I strongly recommend that you read my study on how to properly water a small plant in a large container and get your seedlings on track. I really don't see anything wrong with your plants yet, but I do want you to read the watering thread anyway... I suspect it will help you quite a bit. The link is down below.

Good luck!
Thank you very much! I guess you can title me a concerned inexperienced grower. I will definitely read your seedling watering tips. I should have informed you that these guys were in a jiffy pot for the 1st week and they were JUST transplanted into the larger buckets earlier today (although the leaves started to become like that last night). I realize i took a big jump from the jiffy pot to the buckets but upon reading it didnt seem like it would have a huge impact.

Back
Top Bottom