Tai Chi, Mixed Sativas, Ace Seeds & A Few Autos

Althegardener2

Greetings and happy Spring!

This year I am growing a mixed seed pack of Sativas from Ace Seeds. Last year, after successfully growing and cloning Tajikistani Hash plants plus a few Indica dominant autos, I realized to my horror that the powdery mildew in this area is not going to be eradicated. I knew this from growing flowering perennials for decades but really wasn't thinking about the spillover. Indicas being generally prone to PM. It didn't start until around late July but it was impossible to kill, from more natural sprays to peroxide based sprays...the BT did cut it back by quite a degree but I've decided it's not worth the effort. I had to wash all the buds from the last Taj plants in peroxide, they cured fine and taste fine, but I'd just rather not have to bother. Besides, I'd prefer a little more 'headiness' in my smoke.

Researched the most PM resistant strains, usually those growing in the same type of environment in the wild as we have here in MI, which turns out to be valleys in Asia who experience snowy winters, albeit shorter than ours (although global warming is evening out that metric), and damp humid autumns.

Started these seeds last Wednesday, all germinated expect four.

I had some free auto seeds from Fastbuds they wanted us to trial, but every single seed sprouted strangely, curled like corkscrews, and eventually died. Could this be from irradiation during shipping? No idea, but of nine seeds over three different attempts none of them survived. It was a shame. I should have about five Northern Lights and maybe a Widow or two, will keep them in my new grow room in the garage.

My primo seed is a Tai Chi, and I only have one, so send positive vibes, as she's the one I really want to grow this year, and take some clones. This strain has a green pheno and a red-leaved pheno, we'll see which one I end up with.

THC 16 %
CBD Below 0.1
CBG 0.7 %
Flowering indoors - 10-11 weeks
Flowering outdoors - End of October
Yield - High
Resistance against spider mites Average-High
Resistance against powder mildew High
Resistance against botrytis High
Resistance against white fly Average-High
Resistance against cold High
Resistance against heat High
Latitude 0º-45º
Genetics - Thai Chiang Mai x Kali China elite (F4).
Structure - It grows robust, compact and with broad indica leaves in its first weeks of life, to later develop a tall and large extremely vigorous sativa structure, with a strong, capricious and irregular branching, as occurs with some thai sativas.
Bouquet - Sour grapes and astringent bitter lemon in the foreground, then earthy with spicy notes of onion/garlic, and cured wood, incense, chocolate, green tea, mint and lime of classic Thai flavour, with a blackcurrant flavour lingering in the mouth as an aftertaste.
High - Moderate/high potency of excellent mood enhancing sativa qualities: clean, cerebral, active, sociable and positive, without producing paranoia or edginess. Visual distortions and pleasant physical tingling sensations. Excellent to meditate since it produces a balanced and enlightened introspection.
Terpene profile - It mainly contains the following monoterpenes: high amounts of beta myrcene and variability in the high presence of terpinolene, followed by smaller amounts of alpha pinene, beta pinene, limonene and trans ocimene. Sesquiterpenes: mainly beta-caryophyllene, followed by smaller amounts of alpha-humelene and variability in the presence of lower amounts of guaiol and bisabolol.
Growing Tip -It can easily be grown indoors with strong light intensity and with enough space for its development.
Very suitable for SOG crops due to its great yield in the main cola, or for SCROG, horizontal or network growing due to its excellent yield in the lateral branches and its vigorous reaction to pruning.
Outdoors it can be grown up to latitude 45º, both in warm weathers and in climates where the flowering can take place with cold and rains.
Outdoors and with a longer growing stage is when this hybrid develops its extreme vigor and huge yields. We recommend moderate levels of nutrients for the whole cycle.

Will start with photos soon.

Terpene profile - It mainly contains the following monoterpenes: high amounts of beta myrcene and variability in the high presence of terpinolene, followed by smaller amounts of alpha pinene, beta pinene, limonene and trans ocimene. Sesquiterpenes: mainly beta-caryophyllene, followed by smaller amounts of alpha-humelene and variability in the presence of lower amounts of guaiol and bisabolol.
Ok, you ve got to help me understand this, at least point me in the right direction. I'm really interested in this aspect of my cannabis. I would really appreciate it if you would elaborate a bit.

Since it's a very complex issue, it's like the scent profiles in perfumery in a way, here's a good basic intro to terpenes.

They are medicinal component of plants, and responsible for the taste/scent of fruits and vegetables, and flowers.

This is a fun subject, as everyone has their own favourite flavour/effect profile. Hunting down that taste/high combination is a great hobby. lol

EVpMvv9U4AAIciW.jpg

4/23 update:

If you're wondering that's dog hair in each of the pots. Insta-mulch, lol.
First two shots are the mixed sativas, last one is the Tai Chi.
Have them in a room with a wood stove going and an air purifier running, so far the temps are right and the air is circulating very well. These are so much different than my indicas.
IMG_20200423_125209.jpg
IMG_20200423_125224.jpg
taichi423.jpg

Greetings and happy Spring!

This year I am growing a mixed seed pack of Sativas from Ace Seeds. Last year, after successfully growing and cloning Tajikistani Hash plants plus a few Indica dominant autos, I realized to my horror that the powdery mildew in this area is not going to be eradicated. I knew this from growing flowering perennials for decades but really wasn't thinking about the spillover. Indicas being generally prone to PM. It didn't start until around late July but it was impossible to kill, from more natural sprays to peroxide based sprays...the BT did cut it back by quite a degree but I've decided it's not worth the effort. I had to wash all the buds from the last Taj plants in peroxide, they cured fine and taste fine, but I'd just rather not have to bother. Besides, I'd prefer a little more 'headiness' in my smoke.

Researched the most PM resistant strains, usually those growing in the same type of environment in the wild as we have here in MI, which turns out to be valleys in Asia who experience snowy winters, albeit shorter than ours (although global warming is evening out that metric), and damp humid autumns.

Started these seeds last Wednesday, all germinated expect four.

I had some free auto seeds from Fastbuds they wanted us to trial, but every single seed sprouted strangely, curled like corkscrews, and eventually died. Could this be from irradiation during shipping? No idea, but of nine seeds over three different attempts none of them survived. It was a shame. I should have about five Northern Lights and maybe a Widow or two, will keep them in my new grow room in the garage.

My primo seed is a Tai Chi, and I only have one, so send positive vibes, as she's the one I really want to grow this year, and take some clones. This strain has a green pheno and a red-leaved pheno, we'll see which one I end up with.

THC 16 %
CBD Below 0.1
CBG 0.7 %
Flowering indoors - 10-11 weeks
Flowering outdoors - End of October
Yield - High
Resistance against spider mites Average-High
Resistance against powder mildew High
Resistance against botrytis High
Resistance against white fly Average-High
Resistance against cold High
Resistance against heat High
Latitude 0º-45º
Genetics - Thai Chiang Mai x Kali China elite (F4).
Structure - It grows robust, compact and with broad indica leaves in its first weeks of life, to later develop a tall and large extremely vigorous sativa structure, with a strong, capricious and irregular branching, as occurs with some thai sativas.
Bouquet - Sour grapes and astringent bitter lemon in the foreground, then earthy with spicy notes of onion/garlic, and cured wood, incense, chocolate, green tea, mint and lime of classic Thai flavour, with a blackcurrant flavour lingering in the mouth as an aftertaste.
High - Moderate/high potency of excellent mood enhancing sativa qualities: clean, cerebral, active, sociable and positive, without producing paranoia or edginess. Visual distortions and pleasant physical tingling sensations. Excellent to meditate since it produces a balanced and enlightened introspection.
Growing Tip -It can easily be grown indoors with strong light intensity and with enough space for its development.
Very suitable for SOG crops due to its great yield in the main cola, or for SCROG, horizontal or network growing due to its excellent yield in the lateral branches and its vigorous reaction to pruning.
Outdoors it can be grown up to latitude 45º, both in warm weathers and in climates where the flowering can take place with cold and rains.
Outdoors and with a longer growing stage is when this hybrid develops its extreme vigor and huge yields. We recommend moderate levels of nutrients for the whole cycle.

Will start with photos soon.
The Tai Chi sounds wonderful. This is certainly something that I would love to get my hands on. I am coming in a bit late. I wonder how you are doing with this plant.

Thanks for asking! it's been a looooong time since I updated. The Thai Chi is ten feet tall now, up through the bird netting on my old peacock pen, self-sogging? She started flowering about five weeks ago, now she's in full bloom. My own crosses, the indicas, are about the come down. I didn't do any topping or pruning, I wanted to see the natural form and growth, so I just let them all grow. The largest Ace sativa came down last month. Two of these pics are the Thai, one is the Malawi Moonshine, the other the Shenron. I'll drop a few more recent photos in later tonight.
IMG_8172.JPG
IMG_8180.JPG
malawimoonshine.JPG
sanyan85.JPG

A few other shots, the Ace sativas in various stages and right before I took them down. Trunk of the Thai Chi, and my dog near the base. The auto Amnesias I bought from Demonic Genetics and they ended up huge out doors, ended up over three feet. The 'blizz' is my cross.

Attachments

• acesat3.jpg
    acesat3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • acesatmix.jpg
    acesatmix.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
  • amnesia85.JPG
    amnesia85.JPG
    856.5 KB · Views: 100
  • blizz1.jpg
    blizz1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_8177.JPG
    IMG_8177.JPG
    773 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_8181.JPG
    IMG_8181.JPG
    857.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8182.JPG
    IMG_8182.JPG
    985.2 KB · Views: 100
  • malawimoonshine.JPG
    malawimoonshine.JPG
    912.5 KB · Views: 92
  • sanyan85.JPG
    sanyan85.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • sativamain.JPG
    sativamain.JPG
    915.7 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for asking! it's been a looooong time since I updated. The Thai Chi is ten feet tall now, up through the bird netting on my old peacock pen, self-sogging? She started flowering about five weeks ago, now she's in full bloom. My own crosses, the indicas, are about the come down. I didn't do any topping or pruning, I wanted to see the natural form and growth, so I just let them all grow. The largest Ace sativa came down last month. Two of these pics are the Thai, one is the Malawi Moonshine, the other the Shenron. I'll drop a few more recent photos in later tonight.
IMG_8172.JPG
IMG_8180.JPG
malawimoonshine.JPG
sanyan85.JPG
That's massive! I've seen Swazi become trees. I am growing Transkei for the first time and I have no idea what to expect in terms of height. Much the same, possibly. Not sure how I will handle it in my growing space. Your plants all look so happy. What do you do to your soil to optimize it? I'm growing in soil for the first time in this coming season.

I'm sure the Thai would be even taller but I had to grow them in containers and I also don't have full sun in my little grow area all day. They get about seven hours direct sun in the summer months, now they are only getting about four.
I used fifteen gallon and 4 gallon pots that once held trees and shrubs from the nursery where I worked, so I had some nice large containers. My soil here is glacial sand, so I can't justify planting straight in the ground. I used the True Living Organics method, with anything I was able to acquire. The soil mix was half home made compost and half promix sterile soil, with one third of the volume of perlite, a bit of bone and blood meal, egg shells, earthworm castings and some old mushroom compost. I couldn't get everything on the TLO list but it was close.
That being said I only had to fertilize twice, once with Megacrop after about a month, and once with a high P organic fert just before they started to bloom. Otherwise, I only used rainwater. I'll be recycling every drop of that soil for next year. Look up the TLO book if you want a solid start, and if you want to have soil that you don't have to toss out every year. This can all be recycled safely, and it only gets better with age. (I get in trouble any time I mention authors or seed sellers so maybe you can look it up without my mentioning any names, lol).

Back
Top Bottom