Taking clones: Vegging vs flowering plant

Taking cutting from early vegging VS more mature plant

• Total voters
Hi yall mag! :ciao:

Threads topic pretty much asking the question. What do YOU prefer and why?
Most of the time people has one mother plant where they tend to take the cuttings. Now I would like to hear your opinions about taking clones from plants at different stage/age. I've read both has pros and cons and cuttings can be taken either from vegging or flowering plant.

Lets get back to the topic:

- VEGGING PLANT/early taken cutting:
clone1.png

Cutting taken from pretty young plant. Cutting has fresh greenish stem VS more ''woody stem'' (see versus image below). What you prefer, which one has better changes root?
When taken from early vegging plant does it provide more flexible growing progress when theres plenty of time for cutting to grow?
Cutting with smaller nodes and leaves VS more mature clone - probs trimmed leaves and stronger nodes?

FLOWERING PLANT/cutting from more mature plant:
clone2.png

Or do you prefer to take cutting from more mature plant? i.e might have more nodes, woody stem, biggest fan leaves trimmed nicely.
What are the pros of taking cutting from more mature plant? Does more ''woody stem'' develop most reliable root system? (if taken & planted correctly)
Does it matter at all in any stage of clones life cycle if the cutting is taken from flowering plant?

Still pretty new to the cloning and I would like to hear more tips from the pros: when, how & why.

TLDR; would be:
- Which kind of cutting has the best opportunities to root properly?
- When not having a single mother plant where to take cuttings from -> taking cuttings from multiple plants, what are the key elements to keep in mind? (Obv the plant with the best genetics would be the top choice)
- Other factors which are not told in daily-basis cloning/cutting guides (self-taught & found be functional)

Let's make a proper cloning thread to bring together the pros who can share their own opinions and more rookie growers who wants to learn the magic of cloning!

I take them in mostly in mid veg period or just before I flip them to 12/12. I usually take out a plant and prune her up before the flip and try making clones out of those in my solo cups. I also usually just keep them in the same tent too and give them away to friends/family or myself if it’s near the start of my outdoor growing season.

I prefer cuttings from an older vegging mother plant. Woodier stems are more resistant to damping off. Plus the healthier the plant is the more nutrients it has in its leaves it can use as back up while producing roots. I have taken cutting from flowering plants. I found success rate drops alot after week 5.
Okay, so quoting first two posts I assume taking a cutting which has thicker/woody stem has better changes to root than newly greenish stem.

I was planning to start take cuttings after I flip into 12/12 and the plants starts the strech phase.. since most likely gotta defolate the plants at the same time so trying to take advantage of both at the same time.

I take them in mostly in mid veg period or just before I flip them to 12/12. I usually take out a plant and prune her up before the flip and try making clones out of those in my solo cups. I also usually just keep them in the same tent too and give them away to friends/family or myself if it’s near the start of my outdoor growing season.
Lets say Ive had 12/12 lights for a week when I decide to take cuttings. When I just put them under for example 20/4 or 18/6 lights are they gonna just start re veg? Or is there a possibilities they could freak from that?

Lets say Ive had 12/12 lights for a week when I decide to take cuttings. When I just put them under for example 20/4 or 18/6 lights are they gonna just start re veg? Or is there a possibilities they could freak from that?

They should be fine, even if they started to flower a bit. I did some clones for an outside grow this summer and all flowered on me. I didn’t have a clean spare tent to use(we’re in my sisters tent but got infested) and I couldn’t get them outside yet. So far 2 of the 3 are doing pretty great and the 3rd is now just starting to stretch and thicken her limbs, but hacked 1/2 of her off 2-3 weeks ago to get her moving properly. Actually did the same for Lemonchello Haze and only a tiny bit of my Moby Dick, and I’ve been removing the smaller limbs inside to get them to produce fuller colas hopefully with less larf.

3413DCFC-BBFD-4DD2-A665-7ED9E31A00A0.jpeg
2942C9E8-CB1B-4623-BC75-C5A6A11CA011.jpeg
D6E5F4ED-C23A-4FEB-AFD0-7613ED615F59.jpeg
9406563C-13F8-4EFF-9916-8B3E697EB195.jpeg
4AA5E1E0-707E-4699-A406-42CF9B71F9FB.jpeg
C2C83017-8CEA-42D0-BA2A-64577AF152B3.jpeg

I also take clones right before flip to 12/12(usually 😊) this round I had a light go out and took 2 clones a heavy flowering plant. Both rooted along with other clones off mother (aeroponic cloner) Moved to pots 2days ago, we shall see.

I prefer to take clones right before the flip to 12/12. I'm usually cleaning up the lowers at that point anyways. I find the lower branches seem to root quicker than the upper branches, regardless of size.

Back
Top Bottom