Tales From The Krip!

Mr. Krip

Product Reviewer
420 Staff
Welcome to all my old friends, new friends, and soon-to-be friends to my new grow journal. :welcome:

I was very active on this forum a few years ago and, while I did take quite a bit of time away from posting, I haven't stopped enjoying our favorite hobby! ;)

It great to see how far some of you growers have come over the last few years and am truly impressed by some of your journals & accomplishments! :welldone:

Since getting somewhat active again here on :420:, I've had several people ask/encourage me about a new journal.

While I'm happy to post some pics and talk about what I have going on, I'm most interested in helping the new growers out there any way I can, so don't be afraid to ask questions about anything.

There are much better growers than I, but I'm always happy to share whatever knowledge I have.

So, with that, let's jump into it...

I originally started growing in WaterFarms in a DIY cabinet which is detailed in my first journal. By my last journal, I had added a grow tent and had a perpetual 24-plant SOG growing in 2-L soda bottles.

I maintained the SOG for more than two years but grew tired of having to hand water 24 plants plus take care of another 20 or more clones and 2-3 moms, which I was growing as Bonsais. I was also concerned about the number of plants since I only grow for personal use.

So, I'm back to flowering two plants at a time in the WaterFarms and, have been growing out seeds instead of maintaining the mom's, but since I'm very low on seeds, I'm starting a couple more Bonsai mothers.

Right now, I have a Blue OG flowering with an unknown bag seed. I did clone the Blue OG and one of her clones will become one of the new Bonsai moms. I also just popped my last Royal Queen Caramel, which frankly, I have not been that impressed with so far, and going to make a mom of her in case I finally get a good pheno! :cheesygrinsmiley:

This is my first grow on the Blue OG and, a combination of me waiting to let the bag seed catch up before putting her into flower and her easily tripling in size once in, she has become a MONSTER!!!

In fact, I recently switched nutes and, being a bonehead, mistakenly gave her a DOUBLE dose of nutes and she just drank it all up with only some slight burning of the tips! :morenutes:

Right now, she's three weeks into flower and just starting to frost up; and the bag seed is two weeks in. Here they are side-by-side in the tent:

DSCN32543.JPG

If you were guessing the Blue OG was the one on the right - you're correct! :goodjob:

The bag seed plant on the left is about the size I like to have them in Flower (maybe just a little taller, but not much!). The light over the bag seed plant was taken off the pulley and is as high as I can raise that light without removing the hanger and rigging something up, which is EXACTLY what had had to do with the light over the Blue OG.

I removed the light hangar, put on some of those key rings you have to twist to get on, and hung it from a couple of carribiners. I can only raise that light about another 1/2", if needed, by going to a smaller carribiners but don't think I'll need to.

I'm guessing the weight of the buds will start bringing the branches down and I'll have some more headroom.

One of the old sayings I used to repeat was "Don't grow trees with LED's!" since they typically don't have the penetration.

That being said, I did just order one of the Mars Reflector 144's, which has the 5w chips and anxious to see how that performs.

The Blue OG started with a Uncle Ben's Topping (UBT) to create four main colas. It got so bushy, I literally had to cut of 1/4 of the plant (one of the primary colas) and also trim the lower growth to increase air flow and remove any of the small colas that aren't substantial enough to support some heavy buds.

Instead of creating "popcorn" buds on the bottom, I want the plant putting it's energy into ripening the BIG buds!

Here's what the base of the Blue OG looks like after the UBT along with some additional toppings and heavy LST:

DSCN32572.JPG

And, here are some more pics I took while doing a res change this morning:

DSCN32525.JPG

DSCN32506.JPG

DSCN32604.JPG

DSCN32518.JPG

Happy Harvests!

Krip

You bet I'm here. Pretty buzzed today, with the smokeathon in high gear, but I'm here. That's got to count for something. Hey Heirloom. Good afternoon. :hug:

Let me jump back and read. :battingeyelashes:

You guys ever hear of Hash Church? I'm lost there today.

Great set up. I recently had to pull back to simplicity, and although I miss the tents, I don't miss wondering how I'd explain three grow spaces in my living room. So easy to get carried away.

With my 5' tents (don't make that mistake - I forgot I'd be flowering) I ended up with an arrangement of chains looped through themselves with the lights hanging from S-hooks running through the chain. Quite a juggling act with the Advanced unit. The Budmaster is so lightweight it made that job easy. There should be a better way to make these adjustments, don't you think? Balancing an expensive piece of lighting just feels nuts.

I also do that major stripping of the lower branches. Then, just today, I'm running around doing some free fall research into live resins. There's a concern in Colo., I believe called Evolabs???, that does amazing live resin extractions. What they've discovered was that you get more oil from popcorn buds. I laughed right out loud when I read that. We spend all this energy and focus on getting big, thick colas and the highest concentration of the most potent cannabinoids is in the popcorn buds we aggressively discourage. Irony, huh? :laughtwo:

I'll be rethinking my cultivation techniques. You might want to look into this idea yourself.

Edit: It was popcorn buds and sugar leaves. Doc Bud told us about sugar leaves years ago. Any cultivator paying attention should have known about popcorn buds. Nose in front of my face.

I didn't say anything Mr. Krip, I swear. You built it, they came on their own.

:rofl:

Apparently Lilred's a lite weight. The brush fire that is the smoke-a-thon might be getting to her.....

:passitleft:

Sure, why not? :passitleft:

Hot water in the water pipe. Who knew? Apparently Icemud and TorturedSoul. :laughtwo:

Great set up. I recently had to pull back to simplicity, and although I miss the tents, I don't miss wondering how I'd explain three grow spaces in my living room. So easy to get carried away.

With my 5' tents (don't make that mistake - I forgot I'd be flowering) I ended up with an arrangement of chains looped through themselves with the lights hanging from S-hooks running through the chain. Quite a juggling act with the Advanced unit. The Budmaster is so lightweight it made that job easy. There should be a better way to make these adjustments, don't you think? Balancing an expensive piece of lighting just feels nuts.

I also do that major stripping of the lower branches. Then, just today, I'm running around doing some free fall research into live resins. There's a concern in Colo., I believe called Evolabs???, that does amazing live resin extractions. What they've discovered was that you get more oil from popcorn buds. I laughed right out loud when I read that. We spend all this energy and focus on getting big, thick colas and the highest concentration of the most potent cannabinoids is in the popcorn buds we aggressively discourage. Irony, huh? :laughtwo:

I'll be rethinking my cultivation techniques. You might want to look into this idea yourself.

Edit: It was popcorn buds and sugar leaves. Doc Bud told us about sugar leaves years ago. Any cultivator paying attention should have known about popcorn buds. Nose in front of my face.

Thanks, Sue! :thanks:

I understand on the ever-expanding grow space issue! You know what they say about smoking it not being addictive but growing it is! ;)

Too late...I already made the mistake of a 5' tent! Again, I figured with the LED's I wouldn't want/need that much space, but I was wrong! When you take in the height of whatever container, then add the room to hang a light, then the distance the light has to sit above the plants, I would DEFINITELY recommend the taller tent. You speak words of wisdom on this subject! :cheesygrinsmiley:

That is interesting info on the extractions from the popcorn & sugar leaves! I do make infused butter & oils, and will do some dry ice hash, but more interested in growing the nice buds to smoke/vape.

I'll post some pics at some point of the canna-chocolates I make with the coconut oil with dried blueberries & cranberries. Two before bedtime for a great night's sleep and waking up refreshed! :thumb:

Subbed up :)

It's great to have you here, Light! I've been planning on checking out your journals and, if the people who've already posted on this page didn't each have journals ranging from 200-700+ pages, I'd would have done it already! :rofl:

:popcorn:... I'll sit here next to Light....:circle-of-love:

Sorry, Dennise! I saw you & Light sitting together in another journal and I think it might be a good idea to separate the two of you. You sit next to Jim & Heirloom, and Sue should sit next to Magic & Light, and LilRed....Oh...forget it...just sit where you want! :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom