Tangerine Dream: Male, Hermie, or just Calyxes?

CamarilloBril

420 Member
Grow Space: 600mm Wide X 600mm Deep X 1200mm Tall cupboard
Light: 250w HPS
Growing Medium: Soil
Plants: Barney's Farm Tangerine Dream, Pineapple Chunk & Herbie's Headshop Bad Azz Kush (all feminized, photo-period)
Special Note: Plants have been "Manifolded"

It's a bit late for help on this one, but I would be very keen to learn more about this situation to avoid it happening again. So to that end, would be very interested in expert opinions if possible.

This is my third year of growing, so I'm not a total newb, but still have a lot to learn. The plants are 2.5 weeks into the flowering stage. I have noticed over the past week that the plants have started to flower nicely, with Tangerine Dream having the most advanced looking bud sites. Perhaps a little too advanced, in fact the bud sites have resembled miniature advanced buds, a bit like Foxtail buds (the buds you get on foxtail grass - if you know what I mean?). I put this down to it being a new strain and didn't think much of it. Until last night, I took a look in the cabinet to find that the buds had really plumped up. To my horror, the "plumpness" of the buds was actually due to the presence of many (what look like) pollen sacs. Convinced as I was, I pulled the plant out of the cab and disposed of it, in fear of pollinating the other two healthy plants.

Having looked into it a bit more, I am starting to wonder if what I was looking at were actually calyxes rather than pollen sacs or something else untoward. The weird thing about them is that they were all over the "buds" and not just at the nodes. This is not something I have seen before. I've seen bananas, I've seen male pollen sacs, but I have never seen, nor can I find reference to any of these things being on the actual bud sites so early into the flowering stage. In fact, I have trawled through internet search results extensively this morning, and can't find any similar examples anywhere. Any images of Tangerine Dream at or around 2 weeks into flowering just show the familiar white pistil hairs building up at the bud sites. Perhaps someone is able to take a look at the picture and make sense of it?

Thanks for any info in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    630.2 KB · Views: 156
male flowers...she male... Could do with better pic, but that be my call from that cluster I can sort of see...
Check for light leaks getting in when lights are off, need total dark.

male flowers...she male... Could do with better pic, but that be my call from that cluster I can sort of see...
Check for light leaks getting in when lights are off, need total dark.

Thanks Lowrider

I beleive this too. I guess I just had a case of "removal remorse"! Second guessing the situation!

Looks good, bit of frost there, don't see any pistil which is great. hows he smell?

yep that's a full blown male right there and looks pretty healthy .Save the pollen and make some seeds .

Back
Top Bottom