Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Hey @tangwena , I few months ago you mentioned some cobs that were sweated for 6 resp. 12 hrs. How did they turn out? Any improvement over longer sweats?
Hi my friend both turned out really good and very terpy smell and taste.
You need to age them longer but its worth the wait if you like the terps and who doesn't hey?

As for strength both sweats turned out very similar just more tasty chewed than the longer sweats.
Probably more tasty smoked as well. I haven't given any to my smoking friends yet, they still have plenty of their own to smoke their way through.
It usually gets dry around New Year so they will come knocking around then. ha ha.

Hi my friend both turned out really good and very terpy smell and taste.
You need to age them longer but its worth the wait if you like the terps and who doesn't hey?

As for strength both sweats turned out very similar just more tasty chewed than the longer sweats.
Probably more tasty smoked as well. I haven't given any to my smoking friends yet, they still have plenty of their own to smoke their way through.
It usually gets dry around New Year so they will come knocking around then. ha ha.

I'll definitely try a short sweat next time. Thanks, tang!

So I did some free form buds in the vac with my Honduras × Panama and Zamaldelica. I was forced to use some buds that were only hanging 2 days, and in the current dry room it averages about 2 weeks to dry enough to cure - so needless to say it was practically fresh. I used 111g of H×P per bag and 128g of Zam. Sweated them all @95f for 24hrs. The bags were really juicy...I waited until they were cool, then opened them....we all know the aromas that slap you in the face haha...the zam was especially aggressive and I nearly coughed.
I decided to leave them juicy for the ferment. Today was the 6th day, so I opened them. I'm going to dry them until they are ready for a little more curing. Smells are still real good, the buds have changed in appearance bigtime. Wow they look sorta gross lol, I am very curious as to how they'll turn out. Has anyone else purposefully kept the buds very wet? Pretty sure @tangwena has - any advice brother?

Some Zam
20191110_125837.jpg

After the sweat
20191111_160946.jpg

Upon opening from the ferment
20191116_120244.jpg

Dry them brother! if you leave them wet they will degrade and smell of bleach.
After the initial sweat you should dry them so they feel dry to the touch but are moist in the core.
You may still be in time to save them.
Thank you, I will do! I got them outside of the bags in the dry room. Ferment has happened already in the wet state, so my plan is to dry them until there is only a little moisture left to age them a bit. Sound good? The smells are of fermentation and the character of each strain is preserved IMO. It will be nice to contrast them with the other 6 cobs already made the " recommended" way....
Even if they turn out just okay, I will be happy...I love the experiment!

Thank you, I will do! I got them outside of the bags in the dry room. Ferment has happened already in the wet state, so my plan is to dry them until there is only a little moisture left to age them a bit. Sound good? The smells are of fermentation and the character of each strain is preserved IMO. It will be nice to contrast them with the other 6 cobs already made the " recommended" way....
Even if they turn out just okay, I will be happy...I love the experiment!
If they smell good you have done it in time, well done that was a close call my friend.
Your plan sounds fine and should work well. Looking at the pic they are already well advanced so drying and aging should finish them nicely.

The trick is to get them before they turn so much and dry them and let the aging finish them off.
The smells from that cross fermented are close to heavenly in my book I just love them.

I checked my Mulanje today they are into the first phase of flower and smelling menthol pine I have a feeling they will be real head stash cobs.

I think the golden cure is working on my Carn cob. :yahoo:

The more it dries the more golden it looks. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hello all - jumpin' on the bandwagon after christmas harvest with some cobbin'

Question - is the stem used for anything after cobbing? Have you tried making a tea or something with it? I would think it would absorb all the good juices from the bud and obviously cure/ferment/merge into something useful, no?

I stopped wrapping the cobs after the first couple cycles. I find it much easier and just as effective to simply compress them and seal them in the plastic.

I know I’m losing trichomes from the surface on the plastic, but that’d happen with a wrap as well.

I’m basically lazy. :laughtwo:

I think the correct term is, "efficient." :Namaste:

Question - is the stem used for anything after cobbing? Have you tried making a tea or something with it? I would think it would absorb all the good juices from the bud and obviously cure/ferment/merge into something useful, no?
Chew it in fact chew everything dont waste a piece its all good.

I completely forgot to post the photos @tommyboi sent of his Carnival cobs. o_O

Tom made these cobs from the lower reaches of the plants, after they’d been sitting out a couple weeks following the initial harvest. When I get back to Pittsburgh next month I may get the treat of tasting one. :yahoo:

Oh wow!..... I just realized he has enough Carnival on hand that I won’t have to sneak anything into my travel bags. Between his stash and the rocket-fuel brownies I’ll take along I’ll be set for the four days I’ll be running around visiting all the friends and family I can. Whoa!

I’m a little stunned that it’s worked out that my favorite chemovar is being grown all over the country, and when I travel this gem of a cannabis genetic line is available for me to sample. Wow! The cosmic team is better than even I knew.

But this post wasn’t supposed to be about me. :battingeyelashes: This is tommyboi’s moment to bask in the adoration and envy of the galley. :slide:

It pleases me to no end that this process has risen in popularity. Nothing like the sweet interconnectedness with the cosmos we walk around feeling, is there? :green_heart:

Wow this is very interesting, and the first time I’ve heard of this in a refined method.. I’ve heard some old school guys talk about how back in the day they’d bury their harvest and dig it up later on and it’d make for some killer stuff..one guy even said he would go as far as to dump a couple fifths of strong liquor on his buds before burying them... that sounded crazy to me when I heard it, but maybe there was some method to their madness. Lol I might have to try this once to see how it is...

There’s definitely method worth exploring SimoleMan, and welcome to the party. :hug:

You too Schnookie. :hug:

Chew it in fact chew everything dont waste a piece its all good.

I chew them all up with the rest of the slice I’m treating myself to. :laughtwo:

I think the correct term is, "efficient." :Namaste:

I like the sound of that better. :laughtwo:

So I did some free form buds in the vac with my Honduras × Panama and Zamaldelica. I was forced to use some buds that were only hanging 2 days, and in the current dry room it averages about 2 weeks to dry enough to cure - so needless to say it was practically fresh. I used 111g of H×P per bag and 128g of Zam. Sweated them all @95f for 24hrs. The bags were really juicy...I waited until they were cool, then opened them....we all know the aromas that slap you in the face haha...the zam was especially aggressive and I nearly coughed.
I decided to leave them juicy for the ferment. Today was the 6th day, so I opened them. I'm going to dry them until they are ready for a little more curing. Smells are still real good, the buds have changed in appearance bigtime. Wow they look sorta gross lol, I am very curious as to how they'll turn out. Has anyone else purposefully kept the buds very wet? Pretty sure @tangwena has - any advice brother?

Some Zam
20191110_125837.jpg

After the sweat
20191111_160946.jpg

Upon opening from the ferment
20191116_120244.jpg
This is all great info! I just finished a 13 hr sweat @ between 150° - 190°F (damn Crock-Pot is a bit unstable) on some Frisian duck. The visual difference is interesting! I had to switch bags because I noticed a little delamination between layers so it was a matter of time before a leak.

Moisture was there for sure but not bad. Resealed in a new bag & left it on the router to finish the cure. The pics are the sweated bag (tan) & the raw still green.

Attachments

• KIMG1010.JPG
    KIMG1010.JPG
    701.3 KB · Views: 63
I’m a little stunned that it’s worked out that my favorite chemovar is being grown all over the country, and when I travel this gem of a cannabis genetic line is available for me to sample. Wow! The cosmic team is better than even I knew.

From small seeds big oak trees grow ha ha.
Just rewards for spreading the knowledge sister good karma coming back to you.

Wow! I started reading this thread a couple weeks ago during my lurking and learning period and I finally have read it all! I'm starting to see how this group has become a huge group of friends! I have a plan for sometime within the next 2 years to get rid of most of my stuff that's not necessary and buy a sweet motorhome bus to travel the country. If I can get reasonable cell service and wifi for internet I can Live anywhere. Hoping to generate enough medicine to not have to grow again until I've found where think I'll end up (semi) permanently. I'm sure I'll find multiple places where I'll settle for a few months at least. That's gonna be a few years of traveling around I'm thinking, but I can't wait!

Hey @tangwena , I few months ago you mentioned some cobs that were sweated for 6 resp. 12 hrs. How did they turn out? Any improvement over longer sweats?
Hi Nick you motivated me to dig out a few examples from the cellar
The first pics are the same buds sweated for 12 hours
The last pic is a 6 hour sweat these are both about 10 months aged now and getting good.
Notice the greener sugar leaves on the shorter sweat once I remove them from the vacuum bags these will fade but sealed up they remain green.
The aroma fills the room with a fruity sweat hashish smell and nobody who loves pot could not be attracted to it believe me. Even if the high was no good the smell would dictate that you must grow it.
But the high is kick ass and getting better by the month come new year this will be my champagne to bring in the new year with ha ha.

IMG_5840.JPG
IMG_5842.JPG
IMG_5839.JPG

Hi Nick you motivated me to dig out a few examples from the cellar
The first pics are the same buds sweated for 12 hours
The last pic is a 6 hour sweat these are both about 10 months aged now and getting good.
Notice the greener sugar leaves on the shorter sweat once I remove them from the vacuum bags these will fade but sealed up they remain green.
The aroma fills the room with a fruity sweat hashish smell and nobody who loves pot could not be attracted to it believe me. Even if the high was no good the smell would dictate that you must grow it.
But the high is kick ass and getting better by the month come new year this will be my champagne to bring in the new year with ha ha.

IMG_5840.JPG
IMG_5842.JPG
IMG_5839.JPG

Yeah - now those look very tasty indeed. And they weren't too wet when you cobbed them, right? I might try your median - 9 hrs. I'll let them dry a few days more than I usually do, too. I just have to wait 8 weeks until my weed is ready... :rolleyes:

Yeah - now those look very tasty indeed. And they weren't too wet when you cobbed them, right? I might try your median - 9 hrs. I'll let them dry a few days more than I usually do, too. I just have to wait 8 weeks until my weed is ready... :rolleyes:
Oh geez I know, right!!! I started with a really hot 13 hour sweat, & am only on day 6 of fermentation.
It
feels
Forever!
So I'm sure this has been covered over the last 126 or so pages but I'mma do it again!
So with what little I think I know about the life cycle/ degradation cycle of the more known chemical compounds in our favorite flower...

THC-A degrades to THC through heat ≥220°F or oxygen exposure & time, correct?
If so...
then THC degrades to CBN, through an ass of time &/or UV exposure. I think...

So all that assumed accurate, am I nuts to think that this is an elaborate natural way of expediting that chemical conversation... While enhancing taste trough the cook & fermentation?

Sincerely,
A wannabe chemist.

THCa is oxidized to THC, but THC doesn't degrade to CBN. Sorry to be so blunt. Just trying to correct either Pman or myself. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom