Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Here's how they look

1576585011012.png

Highya Wandada,

I use parchment paper as well. Roll tightly, wrap with string, vacuum pack, and cure. That's it. Cheers

Ok, these three colas got cut and trimmed today and will become my very first COB. 64g (wet) of Skunk#1. They are hanging in a closet at 51% RH and 72 degrees F. How long y'all reckon letting them dry before COBbing? Was thinking at least 2 full days... Picked at early ripeness with 50% cloudy trichs and hardly any amber. Going for the cerebral trippy COB hopefully. Will COB another batch when I see the trichs almost all cloudy.
20191216_122402.jpg
20191216_121835.jpg
20191216_121200.jpg
Hi my friend I left your post for others to answer but as none did here is my late reply sorry.
Those buds are quite dense so you will probably need to dry the a little more than 2 days.
Its hard to generalize as I dont know how fast they dry in your location.
But if the sugar leaves feel dry and the center of the bud is slightly moist not too wet.
You should get a nice aromatic cure if it was mine I would suggest an initial 12 hour sweat to keep the terps nice and LOUD ha ha.

Hey Everyone,
I live in a small west African country where it’s very humid and we have 2 seasons and only about 6 months when it’s possible to grow. There’ll be good stuff around soon that I can buy bulk but storing long term is a bitch because of the climate and lack of constant electricity. I came across this method about 2 weeks ago and I think it could solve my problem of having good buds during the rain season.
My problem is it’s not corn season so I can’t get any husk so I think parchment paper is my best option. I have read the thread ( I’m new to this) a bit but have not come across anyone using parchment paper instead of corn husk. Can anyone please advise on using parchment .
Bless
All the fellow cobbers answered you correctly my friend you dont need the wrapper its just for a traditional look.
As Neiko said just roll the buds up tight in a sushi mat then into the vacuum bag and follow the recipe.
Oh and please post pics of the buds I would love to see them and also how you made them.
Plenty of help here from the fellow cobbers.
good to hear from someone in the mother land.
Also really interested in how the locals cure and store their buds it being so wet and all we are all here to learn my friend.

Hi my friend I left your post for others to answer but as none did here is my late reply sorry.
Those buds are quite dense so you will probably need to dry the a little more than 2 days.
But if the sugar leaves feel dry and the center of the bud is slightly moist not too wet.
You should get a nice aromatic cure if it was mine I would suggest an initial 12 hour sweat to keep the terps nice and LOUD ha ha.

I did the same thing you did Tangwena. :laughtwo: I wanted to see what the others said. Lol!

@Schnookie, sometimes the posts come in oddly and things get overlooked. Please don’t take it personally. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve found posts I overlooked when I review a busy day’s postings. :hug:

I paid more attention to the sugar leaves than anything else when drying for cobs. I found Tangwena’s advice most effective. The sugar leaves appear to dry in a way that reflects the density of the hanging buds, or at least that was my experience.

Thank you @tangwena! :D :thanks:

I did the same thing you did Tangwena. :laughtwo: I wanted to see what the others said. Lol!

@Schnookie, sometimes the posts come in oddly and things get overlooked. Please don’t take it personally. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve found posts I overlooked when I review a busy day’s postings. :hug:

I paid more attention to the sugar leaves than anything else when drying for cobs. I found Tangwena’s advice most effective. The sugar leaves appear to dry in a way that reflects the density of the hanging buds, or at least that was my experience.

Thank you as well, @SweetSue! :thumb::high-five:

I will maintain patience an extra day now, especially since my temps rose today and it's raining so even with the AC and fan on my temps are at 71F but the rH isn't getting under 67%. Maybe even take a 4th day...temps are supposed to dry and RH back down under 50 tomorrow, so we'll see...

Hey Everyone,
I live in a small west African country where it’s very humid and we have 2 seasons and only about 6 months when it’s possible to grow. There’ll be good stuff around soon that I can buy bulk but storing long term is a bitch because of the climate and lack of constant electricity. I came across this method about 2 weeks ago and I think it could solve my problem of having good buds during the rain season.
My problem is it’s not corn season so I can’t get any husk so I think parchment paper is my best option. I have read the thread ( I’m new to this) a bit but have not come across anyone using parchment paper instead of corn husk. Can anyone please advise on using parchment .
Bless

I just had to back up and say :welcome: Wandada. I’m so glad you found us and it was so helpful to your needs. This is what we hope for when we post. You’ll gain potency as well, but not the same kind of buzz as smoked flower, which is what most are used to.

I don’t use anything but the plastic bags for vacuuming, but I can see the draw to parchment. Personally, I like seeing the product in process, and any additional bud containment gets in the way of that. :battingeyelashes:

:rofl:

Hi Wandada, I've ditched the husks a while ago. Just roll the cob tight and vacuum seal like the canary cob (which you don't need if you don't use husks). They turn out the same to me with or without the husk. I only use parchment paper to help roll them in the sushi mat.
Thanks Neikodog,
I should be getting some today to test with and I’m only hoping it’s not too dry though I specifically asked for some semi wet buds. Will post update asap

I have used parchment many times. Its food grade and holds up well to the sushi mat. I change it out if its overly wet after the sweat or ferment.

After a bit I ditch the paper for the cure.

All the fellow cobbers answered you correctly my friend you dont need the wrapper its just for a traditional look.
As Neiko said just roll the buds up tight in a sushi mat then into the vacuum bag and follow the recipe.
Oh and please post pics of the buds I would love to see them and also how you made them.
Plenty of help here from the fellow cobbers.
good to hear from someone in the mother land.
Also really interested in how the locals cure and store their buds it being so wet and all we are all here to learn my friend.
Thanks @tagwena
Will be following said advise . Hopefully quite soon. I really appreciate all the help and response.
We don’t get much points for curing and storing. Most weed is dried in open huts usually for about a week to 10 days then wrapped in “cement paper” and stored in plastic barrels. We get amazing flavors and aromas during harvest season but they sadly don’t last because of the all year round humidity. The harmattan harvest tends to last fresher for longer though as humidity falls to 40-50 for about 4-6 weeks. I have used AC to dry and cure with amazing results but that’s only possible during rain season when there’s constant electricity but hardly any good bud. Will post test asap

Thanks @tagwena
Will be following said advise . Hopefully quite soon. I really appreciate all the help and response.
We don’t get much points for curing and storing. Most weed is dried in open huts usually for about a week to 10 days then wrapped in “cement paper” and stored in plastic barrels. We get amazing flavors and aromas during harvest season but they sadly don’t last because of the all year round humidity. The harmattan harvest tends to last fresher for longer though as humidity falls to 40-50 for about 4-6 weeks. I have used AC to dry and cure with amazing results but that’s only possible during rain season when there’s constant electricity but hardly any good bud. Will post test asap

It’s thrilling to get your perspectives on the challenges of drying under less-than-stellar conditions. Cobbing seems a perfect solution. It’ll be interesting to see how you modify things to meet your needs. Most of us cob for our own consumption, so things like standardization of product and appearance aren’t a priority. :laughtwo: I’m not sure they’d be in your situation either. Will your cobs be for personal or community pleasure?

So my humidity DID drop significantly yesterday and the drying buds went from 64g total down to now 40g of "medium dried" weight @68F & 47%RH. I'm thinking it's time to COB. Will post some photos of buds and process later.

EDIT: the buds are not AT 47%RH, the AIR is. When I just put these buds in a jar with the hygrometer, it was up to 87% in less than an hour before I removed them to dry out more.

And here we go down the rabbit hole!! I let the buds dry another 2g down to 38g and said let's go!

I just put the buds into the bag and kept stems at the ends (except for 1). This was a pre-made bag from the new machine and I double sealed both ends to make doubly sure I got this right.

20191218_200857.jpg

I just rolled them in the bag within the sushi mat - no paper or cob wasted!

Before:
20191218_201139.jpg

After:
20191218_201349.jpg

Cooking until morning:
20191218_202103.jpg

So my humidity DID drop significantly yesterday and the drying buds went from 64g total down to now 40g of "medium dried" weight @68F & 47%RH. I'm thinking it's time to COB. Will post some photos of buds and process later.

EDIT: the buds are not AT 47%RH, the AIR is. When I just put these buds in a jar with the hygrometer, it was up to 87% in less than an hour before I removed them to dry out more.

Hehehe! Couldn’t help giggling. Been there. The cob looks good. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom