Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Hi Tangwena, SweetSue and all the other cobbers!

I poured over this thread and maybe it’s been mentioned before but just in case I’ll share my experience. I made cobs in December using corn husks, rolled tight with fresh harvest bud after drying for a week. I didn’t have a vacuum sealer & figured neither did the original Malawi cobbers, so I proceeded without vacuum sealing. The cobs were rolled tight and tied up with thin garden wire to compress the cob and seal the ends. Did the sweat - dried the skin, resealed and let them cure in the top of a tent.

Everything worked beautifully so YUP you can do cobs just fine without vacuum sealing.

Hi Tangwena, SweetSue and all the other cobbers!

I poured over this thread and maybe it’s been mentioned before but just in case I’ll share my experience. I made cobs in December using corn husks, rolled tight with fresh harvest bud after drying for a week. I didn’t have a vacuum sealer & figured neither did the original Malawi cobbers, so I proceeded without vacuum sealing. The cobs were rolled tight and tied up with thin garden wire to compress the cob and seal the ends. Did the sweat - dried the skin, resealed and let them cure in the top of a tent.

Everything worked beautifully so YUP you can do cobs just fine without vacuum sealing.

Nice one my friend any pictures? I would love to see the result real traditional cure.

Apologies Tangwena,

Life got in the way there.... here are a few snaps. The fresh bud smelled like fruity flower blossoms, pine, citrus and cinnamon with slight musky earthy undertones; very complex but it smelled super clean almost astringent or antibacterial like. At first the cobs smelled like hay or dried grass. Now at 5 months they smell delish like a breakfast cereal, bran or oats maybe.

Attachments

• 025EBAEE-3748-47C6-B278-80B9255BCAFE.jpeg
    025EBAEE-3748-47C6-B278-80B9255BCAFE.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 7B82CA45-6769-45B6-939E-AA5BE83A78F0.jpeg
    7B82CA45-6769-45B6-939E-AA5BE83A78F0.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 228
So I've got my first golden tiger con up and running. From the get go on this grow i was never sure she was GT but that's what the seed place said they sold me. She never had the large thin leaves like a sativa and my training into a #hex with 6 main colas kept her under 2ft until harvest. Gonna get about 6oz from this plant. Going to finish harvest this weekend to make room for her clone, DDA and Gelato coming up next to her.

24g of goodness after 3 days hanging to dry. Started out at 55g wet including stems
20200521_122137.jpg
20200521_122558.jpg

Pre harvest
20200516_150657.jpg

Looks young but has plenty of amber trichs and mostly cloudy
20200516_150749.jpg

Damn these vacs are tight guys :passitleft:

I was eager to try cob curing on this harvest but since my buds are already dried it is too late now. I got a vac. gear anyways. Not as tight as the electronic ones but I got lots of nice seal bags with vacuum valve. I am manually vacuuming the bags with the pump. That can't vacuum %100 but I can say that the vacuum amount is easily above %95. Bags are always inhaling some air back in before I can reseal them. Will that be a problem? If not I will give this a try on my next grow and ask for help here.

Cheeers :passitleft:

Here is how my vac. trim bags look;

Hi Triangle!

This thread moves slow but hopefully others will return soon. Don’t know how to answer about the 95% air deal tho. I just wrote recent post on cork husks and trying up ends with garden wire. I’d like a sealer but you know how growers budget goes. New lights last month! Need ac infinity fan, plus new beans, got my eye on inkbird & my auxiliary window ac unit has 4 years hard run time

Anyway those cobs will be worth the wait.

Hi Triangle!

This thread moves slow but hopefully others will return soon. Don’t know how to answer about the 95% air deal tho. I just wrote recent post on cork husks and trying up ends with garden wire. I’d like a sealer but you know how growers budget goes. New lights last month! Need ac infinity fan, plus new beans, got my eye on inkbird & my auxiliary window ac unit has 4 years hard run time

Anyway those cobs will be worth the wait.

I also think I can get help here because there is a lot of time until my next harvest :D I've actually gave it a second thought and the air amount should be negligible. I think that much wrinkle on a bag is an indicator of a successful vacuum. I wish you enjoy these cobs mate :passitleft:

Damn these vacs are tight guys :passitleft:

I was eager to try cob curing on this harvest but since my buds are already dried it is too late now. I got a vac. gear anyways. Not as tight as the electronic ones but I got lots of nice seal bags with vacuum valve. I am manually vacuuming the bags with the pump. That can't vacuum %100 but I can say that the vacuum amount is easily above %95. Bags are always inhaling some air back in before I can reseal them. Will that be a problem? If not I will give this a try on my next grow and ask for help here.

Cheeers :passitleft:

Here is how my vac. trim bags look;

No air = No mold.

I'd pay 80 bucks for a proper vac sealer just for the peace of mind, knowing that there was no air in your baggies, therefore no mold can grow. You could pull it off just fine, but I'd imagine you'll end up in a situation where you have to wonder if your cobs have gone moldy or are they just "blooming". As you said, you have time until your next harvest, so save a bit every month and get the proper gear for this.

Just poppin in quick Sweet Sue to thank you once again for your great contributions to the community.
Had a couple of great Malawi runs recently and just had to see if I could find a traditional Malawi gold banana leaf type cure that isn't dangerous to smoke lol!
Sure enough, right at home at 420Mag!
I will give this a shot and again thanks so much Sweet Sue!

Can anyone recommend the best cheaper model of vacume sealing machine or handheld devices for making Cobs?

I have everything else needed.
Bucket and lid
Variable Heating pad
Temp thermometer

Please advise so I can try this cob stuff.

Can anyone recommend the best cheaper model of vacume sealing machine or handheld devices for making Cobs?

Bucket and lid
Variable Heating pad
Temp thermometer

You can get Sous Vide bags with hand pump on amazon. I am using these bags to carry my weed stealthy but I will try making cobs inside these. If you got someone to help you, these bags are doing great job. It's just hard to vacuum and seal when you are alone because you need to detach the vacuum pump and seal the valve very fast to make sure all of the air is still vacuumed.

Cheers :passitleft:

Bucket and lid
Variable Heating pad
Temp thermometer

I got a cheap ziplock one from walmart a few years ago. My one round of cob making was done using that machine and that brand bags. It worked well.

Hey @CADBOY

You don’t need a vacuum sealer at all, I make all of my cobs without one. Use corn husks or aluminum foil. Follow steps on page 1, be sure compress fresh harvest bud and wrap it tight. Use multiple layers and get air out as you wrap and seal each layer. Corn husks are in every grocery store near salsa & taco shells

No, corn husk or foil is not 100% airtight when compared to vacu-seal but you remove 99 % of the air and it’s good enough. Just remember to open & inspect cobs each week. This is centuries old curing technique, they didn’t have vacu-seal equipment. They wrapped in leaves and probably buried in the ground.

Hey @CADBOY

You don’t need a vacuum sealer at all, I make all of my cobs without one. Use corn husks or aluminum foil. Follow steps on page 1, be sure compress fresh harvest bud and wrap it tight. Use multiple layers and get air out as you wrap and seal each layer. Corn husks are in every grocery store near salsa & taco shells

No, corn husk or foil is not 100% airtight when compared to vacu-seal but you remove 99 % of the air and it’s good enough. Just remember to open & inspect cobs each week. This is centuries old curing technique, they didn’t have vacu-seal equipment. They wrapped in leaves and probably buried in the ground.

Thanks, I'll likely buy a cheap o hand vacume off Amazon. I'd hate to try this and grow mold. My place is super humid generally.

I understand that this method makes the cannabis super smooth to smoke? But has anyone tryed this will a female plant that was very seedy? I'm thinking because the seeded female would generally be harsh to smoke, that this method may smooth that out ?

Back
Top Bottom