Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Unfortunately, I was unaware that they have checpoints at the border with dogs, so before we got that far on our journey I dumped the cob pieces with the rest of the cannabis goods I had with me. You know what? Prohibition sucks!

That’s funny. I recently fell victim to a twisted chain of events that led to me burying a nice jar full of Honduras, GT, and Pineapple Chunk cob at the base of a certain power pole near a certain airport, which I don’t except to be going back to in the foreseeable future.
If anyone is flying to north coast BC any time soon- pm me and I’ll send you a map!

:passitleft:

I know next time I'm giving them 24 hours and cobbing them. I think if they are really sticky they will roll better. Just my observation.

Hello all!

Harvest time approaching, so one quick question: can I cob buds right after harvest or do I need to let them dry a bit (1-2 days)? What's your experience?

The drying time is all variable but the initial instructions were 1-3 days. I've done 3 and it will give a golden color to the cob. I thought that was too long because I didn't get any sweat but that is my most mature cob and it is quite potent and smells great. You want to cob the flowers before they dry enough to even try and smoke.

The drying time is all variable but the initial instructions were 1-3 days. I've done 3 and it will give a golden color to the cob. I thought that was too long because I didn't get any sweat but that is my most mature cob and it is quite potent and smells great. You want to cob the flowers before they dry enough to even try and smoke.
Thanks for your answer! In several days I will be harvesting at least half of my plant, so I'm planning to cob those buds without any drying period. Instead, I'll let them dry a little more after the initial 24h sweat. The rest of the plant will be done the recommended way. (Although I can't think of much difference here).

Or I could do 2 sweats. One right after harvest, letting the material to sweat for at least 12 hours, then letting it dry for half a day or more and resealing again for another 12 hours.

Ehh, I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, this doesn't make sense. :D Sorry...

I wouldn't do that. You need to go from sweat to ferment rather quickly. I only had mine out for the pictures and went right back under the heat. It's holding at 84°F.

I'd do them right after harvest. If your using a bamboo roller cover it with plastic wrap so it doesn't stick.

I wouldn't do that. You need to go from sweat to ferment rather quickly. I only had mine out for the pictures and went right back under the heat. It's holding at 84°F.

I'd do them right after harvest. If your using a bamboo roller cover it with plastic wrap so it doesn't stick.
I recently used that technique using the roller with oven paper in place of the plastic it worked so well I wish I had tried it long ago.
I have learned a lot from you guys especially Sweat Sue and the use of the food dehydrator I have one of those on my wish list for my next harvest.

I recently used that technique using the roller with oven paper in place of the plastic it worked so well I wish I had tried it long ago.
I have learned a lot from you guys especially Sweat Sue and the use of the food dehydrator I have one of those on my wish list for my next harvest.
Lol, forget the dehydrator I learned from this thread a hot tub is the best way to go. I’m adding one of those to my wish list. :laugh:

I'm using a Nesco American Harvest food dehydrator and jerky maker. It held the 104 degrees well. The low end temp is 95 degrees. I offset the plastic shelf slightly and have a steady 82-84 degrees ferment going.

I have no plants to look at, I just put the Boveda 62% in the jars, and I can't see in the cob wrapper until Sunday. DAMN!

I'm using a Nesco American Harvest food dehydrator and jerky maker. It held the 104 degrees well. The low end temp is 95 degrees. I offset the plastic shelf slightly and have a steady 82-84 degrees ferment going.

Can you share a picture of how you offset that Shaman?

Guys..... you're making me so proud.

@Blueleaf, after the sweat let the husks dry to the touch and get them right into fermentation. The freshly-harvested buds make much wetter cobs, but you don't really want to start drying them out until you hit the cure stage.

I weigh mine when I unwrap them each week and wait until they've dropped a bit of moisture weight before I seal them up again for another week. Slowly but surely they dry, and evidentially that's the way to get the best cure.

Tomorrow I get my first taste of a Carnival cob from Chris Scorpio, that wonderfully generous man. :slide:

Can you share a picture of how you offset that Shaman?

Guys..... you're making me so proud.

Sure, here ya go. Ya just gotta lift the section a bit to let some of the air out. I put a thermometer in the little crack to test the temps. If you look at the top it has setting around 104°F for sweating and the 95°F setting for fermenting. What's not to like! I think they got it right when it says Herbs & Spices at 95°F, right? ES

My Carnival cobs get eaten or smoked almost daily now. I really dig this cobbing! I just wrapped up 38 grams of Gorilla Glue #4 and stuck it in the sweat box :slide:

OMG Neiko! You caught me off guard. :rofl: I can't wait to get home and test out the Malawi cobs. They'll be three months curing and I haven't tasted them in almost a month.

Sure, here ya go. Ya just gotta lift the section a bit to let some of the air out. I put a thermometer in the little crack to test the temps. If you look at the top it has setting around 104°F for sweating and the 95°F setting for fermenting. What's not to like! I think they got it right when it says Herbs & Spices at 95°F, right? ES

How cool! That might never have occured to me. :high-five:

That’s funny. I recently fell victim to a twisted chain of events that led to me burying a nice jar full of Honduras, GT, and Pineapple Chunk cob at the base of a certain power pole near a certain airport, which I don’t except to be going back to in the foreseeable future.
If anyone is flying to north coast BC any time soon- pm me and I’ll send you a map!
Treasure Map! You ARE a pirate!

We are in! Harvested the Stankberry plant a few days ago. Cobbed up two cobs tonight and have them "cooking". Excited to be on this journey! Will continue to cob more as we harvest each new plant. Will be doing some Nukehead cobs next soon as I will be chopping her down Thursday most likely. Anywho.....here we go!

I finally got around to checking on my cobs. It seems that my inattention to this might have ruined 2 of the cobs. We shall see. I hope to be able to salvage something of this.

As you will recall I used a handheld device for vacuum sealing of zipper bags made for this process. Three of the cobs are ok and just for the heck of it, I'll start a drying process which will stop fermentation.

The first 3 appear ok and I'll look at them more closely with the microscope later just to be sure.

The second set of cobs were from a different harvest and apparently the bag failed in some way and I have a couple of nice mold casulties. What I'll probably do is spray these 2 with vinegar and see if I can remove the offensive white stuff at some point. Oh well.

Silly FAIL

Back
Top Bottom