Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

I’ve just done mine in a food dehydrator, on it’s lowest setting it gets to about 80° and at the 124° setting it gets to about 104°. I’ve noticed the temperatures vary a lot depending on the weather.
:passitleft:
Yes sir, I saw some were using those to do the trick... I don’t own one, only reason I was checking on options. I could buy one, though it would only get used for cobs

I’m looking up temps on particular model of my crock pot and lowest (keep warm)is between 145 - 165 F how is the recommended temp achieved? (104 to 140) I would think that leaving the lid off would help lower the temp. Any advice is appreciated
I sat a small container filled halfway with water on a seed mat and put another upside down on top of it and the water stayed a solid 103 the whole time.

I sat a small container filled halfway with water on a seed mat and put another upside down on top of it and the water stayed a solid 103 the whole time.

It’s probably obvious but I’d rather not assume. Did you put the cob in the container you filled half way with water?

What was the material of the small container?

Did you have to use anything to separate the container from the mat?

Did you insulate with towels and all of that?

Yes sir, I saw some were using those to do the trick... I don’t own one, only reason I was checking on options. I could buy one, though it would only get used for cobs
Like the vacuum sealers they seem to be plentiful at thrift shops if you keep your eyes open. Mine’s super cheap and crappy from Amazon, I’m sure that’s why the temperature varies so much. It’s super convenient but I don’t like running it for weeks at a time. I don’t know about the initial sweat but I’m thinking some kind of small dark box on top of my grow lights would probably stay at about 80° this time of year at least. I do still have that hot tub on my wish list though. :laugh:

Build a cobatron.... Seed mat, foam cooler and a STC-1000 off flea bay and you can set it at any temp and walk away. Will hold within 1-2 degrees. Mine is the cats meow.

It’s probably obvious but I’d rather not assume. Did you put the cob in the container you filled half way with water?

What was the material of the small container?

Did you have to use anything to separate the container from the mat?

Did you insulate with towels and all of that?
It's just a cheap storage container. Clear plastic. I sat it on the map and put the other one on top. The mats don't have a thermostat, but they stay 103 degrees on the surface, so they just transferred that temp to the water. I had it set up the day before to make sure I got the temp hot enough to start. Laser thermometers rock btw.

Update on the jar fermentation, I smoked it twice so far and I’ve had two totally different experiences with it.

About a week or so ago, I tried some that I guess wasn’t cured enough yet after the fermenting, it was brown looking and foul tasting, really took me back to the bad mexi days. Needless to say I was quite disappointed.

I kept at it though burping the jar every day or two and this morning I noticed it’s really a lot more golden than brown now so I gave it another shot. It was much more like the cobs this time. Not really any flavor at all but the smoke was as smooth as air. I’m much less disappointed!

I think I smoke too much and did too many drugs as a youngster to get any kind of proper psychedelic effects, but it was a nice good joint to start the day. I much prefer the full flavor of traditionally cured, but the smoothness was amazing.

I’ve just done mine in a food dehydrator, on it’s lowest setting it gets to about 80° and at the 124° setting it gets to about 104°. I’ve noticed the temperatures vary a lot depending on the weather.

I noticed this problem too. I've got my dehydrator set up in my grow room for now. It has 3 settings listed as 1 around 30C, 2nd around 35C, the 3rd at 70C. I'm not sure about the super hot 3rd setting but the 2 lower settings don't stay at those temperatures and there gets about a 10 degree difference (say 25C-35C) between lights on and lights off. It's just started winter here and temps outside are around 5-10C at night but I had hoped the dehydrator would keep the temps more even.
Hopefully more even temps can be gotten with a dehydrator that has multiple temperature settings with a thermostat, or one of those square ones should keep the temp more even (but cost more).

Definitely use a vacuum sealer, at least for the first 3 months. Once they get cured to your liking and dried then put them in a jar.

That length of time is the cure stage where the fermentation slows down. I believe you open them up once a week or so until they get to the point you like them. Aromas and effects will change during that time from week to week. Once they are left out of the vac bags the fermentation stops if I’m remembering correctly. Sweat for a day or so, ferment for a week or so, cure for a month or so, then jar once they have achieved desired effects. Could be wrong but that’s my current understanding.

This is the first I’ve read of this, what’s the benefits of sealing them for three months, over just drying and jaring them up after the sweat period?
They are still developing in the ferment stage for 3 months. I believe drying it stops that process, so if you stop it after the first week, you aren't getting the whole process.

I’m no expert but I’m currently making my 5th cob and they seemed great so far. Maybe I got the directions wrong or something, the recent posts seem to be different then what I understood, please correct me anywhere if I’m wrong, I’ll be harvesting some next week so I’d like to do it right this time.

My method.

Prep stage:
Harvest your buds and hang dry for 1-2 days. If you were to put them in a jar with a hygrometer they’d be ready when it reads about 75%.

Roll 1 to 1-1/2 ounces into a log and wrap it in a pre-moistened, and washed corn husk.

Sweat Stage:
Vacuum seal the wrapped log in a bag and “ferment” at 104° for 24 hours or so, I use a food dehydrator others use seed starter mats and someone even puts theirs in a heated a hot tub.

After 24 hours, or until you feel they are ready, open the vacuum sealed bags and husk and dry the cob for an hour or two, until it feels dry on the outside but still moist and flexible on the inside.

Ferment stage:
Vacuum seal again and let sit at 80° for one week. The first couple weeks I rewrap it in the corn husk but after that I just put them right in the vacuum bags with no husk.

After a week at 80° open it and let dry to the touch again (an hour or two).

Reseal and leave at 80° for another week then open, dry, and reseal again. Repeat for a total of four weeks or until you feel they are ready.

After four weeks or so of opening, drying, and resealing leave them out to dry for 1-2 days. If you were to put them in a jar with a hygrometer they’ll be ready when it stabilizes at about 62%.

Cure stage:
Put the unwrapped cobs in a jar with an optional 62% Boveda pack and burp the jar semi regularly for about three months just as you would cure regular buds.

Blast off and enjoy.

I’m no expert but I’m currently making my 5th cob and they seemed great so far. Maybe I got the directions wrong or something, the recent posts seem to be different then what I understood, please correct me anywhere if I’m wrong, I’ll be harvesting some next week so I’d like to do it right this time.

My method.

Prep stage:
Harvest your buds and hang dry for 1-2 days. If you were to put them in a jar with a hygrometer they’d be ready when it reads about 75%.

Roll 1 to 1-1/2 ounces into a log and wrap it in a pre-moistened, and washed corn husk.

Ferment Stage:
Vacuum seal the wrapped log in a bag and “ferment” at 104° for 24 hours or so, I use a food dehydrator others use seed starter mats and someone even puts theirs in a heated a hot tub.

After 24 hours, or until you feel they are ready, open the vacuum sealed bags and husk and dry the cob for an hour or two, until it feels dry on the outside but still moist and flexible on the inside.

Sweat stage:
Vacuum seal again and let sit at 80° for one week. The first couple weeks I rewrap it in the corn husk but after that I just put them right in the vacuum bags with no husk.

After a week at 80° open it and let dry to the touch again (an hour or two).

Reseal and leave at 80° for another week then open, dry, and reseal again. Repeat for a total of four weeks or until you feel they are ready.

After four weeks or so of opening, drying, and resealing leave them out to dry for 1-2 days. If you were to put them in a jar with a hygrometer they’ll be ready when it stabilizes at about 62%.

Cure stage:
Put the unwrapped cobs in a jar with an optional 62% Boveda pack and burp the jar semi regularly for about three months just as you would cure regular buds.

Blast off and enjoy.

This is a great break down. I look forward to hearing an experienced review but sounds pretty spot on from what I’ve gathered from reading the thread and different forums, etc.

Back
Top Bottom