Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

My Doctor was asking me a lot of questions regarding chewing cobs today I think he is seeing an opportunity to branch out into herbal treatments. I told him all retirees should get into it it makes you feel alive and tuned in instead of sitting on the sidelines watching it all happen.

Amen to that. :high-five: I can’t see myself slowing down. It was like that before cobs, but with cobs, as the lady of the home I’m staying in says, “Everything just feels good.” :cheesygrinsmiley:

I vacuum-sealed the apical cola of my last DDA harvest. DDA grows fluffy buds. A shorter sweat is in order.

It wasn’t weighed going in, so I’ll do that when it comes out tomorrow for the first of many drying cycles.

I also forgot to seal a knife in here, but a cup works just as well and doesn’t require more bag space that’ll eventually be cut off anyway.

My alarm is set for 2 AM. Those buds’re smaller than they looked at harvest, so I’m cutting the sweat to 11 hours. I’ll probably ferment for only 6 days.

Tasty fermented buds. Potent, uplifting bud bites that still smell of berry. How do you not love a thing like that?

Amen to that. :high-five: I can’t see myself slowing down. It was like that before cobs, but with cobs, as the lady of the home I’m staying in says, “Everything just feels good.” :cheesygrinsmiley:

I vacuum-sealed the apical cola of my last DDA harvest. DDA grows fluffy buds. A shorter sweat is in order.

It wasn’t weighed going in, so I’ll do that when it comes out tomorrow for the first of many drying cycles.

I also forgot to seal a knife in here, but a cup works just as well and doesn’t require more bag space that’ll eventually be cut off anyway.

My alarm is set for 2 AM. Those buds’re smaller than they looked at harvest, so I’m cutting the sweat to 11 hours. I’ll probably ferment for only 6 days.

Tasty fermented buds. Potent, uplifting bud bites that still smell of berry. How do you not love a thing like that?
Its like a wine maker making wine you take your grapes grown the best you can apply yourself and wonder at the thing you create.
I'm getting good vibes off those pics Sue it looks magical even now.
Mind you everything starting to look that way if you know what I mean yeeha!
This is the best part especially when you open it after the ferment is over thats when you know if you have got it right.
Then after its been aged is my next favorite part just like a wine you can taste and smell all those lovely aromas.
IT was a toss up today GT or Px H I got as far as breaking off a piece of GT and then went for the P x H AGAIN ha ha.
I cant not feel this good I cant help myself.
Just starting to get glowing cheeks and euphoric lifts that herald the trip to come zoom zoom.

Highya SweetSue,

Everything alright down here? Been kinda quiet. Hope you're well!

Edit Posted in wrong journal. Sorry

Highya SweetSue,

Everything alright down here? Been kinda quiet. Hope you're well!

Edit Posted in wrong journal. Sorry

So now I’m wondering which of my many journals you were headed to? :laughtwo: With 69 different rooms to maintain some will occasionally be quiet Bode. I’m still busy as can be. :slide:

The Carnival 6.1 cola finished its first week of the cure. Smells right on target, and by gosh, if it doesn’t look like it’ll go golden after all. :hmmmm:

After it dropped to 30 grams I sealed it up again for week 2.

Thanks for posting this thread Sue. I got through the first 10 pages so far and was thinking... Does anybody use effective microorganisms like em-1? I would think that washing the corn husks with this could have a positive influence on the fermentation. Any thoughts?

Ok... that’s a new twist. I’ve not investigated em-1. What would be the expected benefit? In what way might this change the effect we’re having now? This is all so new, and there are many directions we can explore.

We love to experiment. :battingeyelashes:

Em-1 is a soil innoculant, a probiotic for plants? How would that benefit cobbing?

Anyone have any insight here? :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

Thanks for posting this thread Sue. I got through the first 10 pages so far and was thinking... Does anybody use effective microorganisms like em-1? I would think that washing the corn husks with this could have a positive influence on the fermentation. Any thoughts?

This is an interesting thought!

I study Fermentation Science.

Something interesting I have learned is the history of fermentation. It first happened spontaneously. Some guy eat some rotten fruit or some old grain soup or something and got drunk. It caught on even though it was gross and mysterious. Through trial and error people slowly came to realize why some brews went sour and some didn't some taste good and some didn't. We realized what yeast were, what bacteria were and their roles in food production.

There was a tribe somewhere, sometime... I am not good on specifics... But they made a fermented drink in a special ceremony. The final step was to dip an old item into the brew. It was handed down for generations, wrapped up in a very special place and was infested with bacteria and yeast. They repeatedly, without knowing it, inoculated their brew. To them it was magic. They didn't know why it happened. Now it is science.

Today we make beer, soy sauce, MSG and all kind of other things through fermentation. We know what and how the organisms work, their function and role in food production. A lot of fermentations happen because of native yeasts and bacteria that occur on the plant/substrate itself.

What we are doing here is magic. We don't know what is happening. I think it it may be some kind of fermentation, or enzymatic reaction. We happen in a perfect temperature range to increase fermentation and enzymatic actions! Whatever it is, it's wonderful.

We have only just scratched the surface here. Tangwena has always applauded new ideas and creations. I might not recommend using that em stuff, though. It does not seem to be designed to eat. Most likely food safe... There are many other products out there that produce almost any microbe you want. You might look into homebrew stores, cheese making websites, etc.

More than likely we are getting closer to what happens with tobacco curing. Tang posted a lot of info about that, as well. Unfortunately a lot of what is known about tobacco processing is held secret by those big companies. I wonder if they are inoculating with anything? I have not seen any small time cigar making process do anything like that. But they are not working with cannabinoids.

Strange stuff..... Sorry to ramble.. :lot-o-toke::love::love::love:

Yes, I was just using EM-1 as an example. I don't know the names of the microorganisms that are used to facilitate fermentation in traditional products like Kim-chi, Sauerkraut, Beer, Chicha, Kefir, Natto, Miso, etc...

But since there is fermentation going on in the cob, I thought why not use an inoculant that has been proven in the past?

If I ever get around to cobbing, I'll look into some kind of inoculant as well. I have some Durban in the pipeline I wouldn't mind trying with first.

Has anyone done a close up macro shot of the cobbed buds? I'm curious to see what is going on with the resin glands. Are they intact and normal looking or are they ruptured?

This is an interesting thought!

I study Fermentation Science.

Something interesting I have learned is the history of fermentation. It first happened spontaneously. Some guy eat some rotten fruit or some old grain soup or something and got drunk. It caught on even though it was gross and mysterious. Through trial and error people slowly came to realize why some brews went sour and some didn't some taste good and some didn't. We realized what yeast were, what bacteria were and their roles in food production.

There was a tribe somewhere, sometime... I am not good on specifics... But they made a fermented drink in a special ceremony. The final step was to dip an old item into the brew. It was handed down for generations, wrapped up in a very special place and was infested with bacteria and yeast. They repeatedly, without knowing it, inoculated their brew. To them it was magic. They didn't know why it happened. Now it is science.

Today we make beer, soy sauce, MSG and all kind of other things through fermentation. We know what and how the organisms work, their function and role in food production. A lot of fermentations happen because of native yeasts and bacteria that occur on the plant/substrate itself.

What we are doing here is magic. We don't know what is happening. I think it it may be some kind of fermentation, or enzymatic reaction. We happen in a perfect temperature range to increase fermentation and enzymatic actions! Whatever it is, it's wonderful.

We have only just scratched the surface here. Tangwena has always applauded new ideas and creations. I might not recommend using that em stuff, though. It does not seem to be designed to eat. Most likely food safe... There are many other products out there that produce almost any microbe you want. You might look into homebrew stores, cheese making websites, etc.

More than likely we are getting closer to what happens with tobacco curing. Tang posted a lot of info about that, as well. Unfortunately a lot of what is known about tobacco processing is held secret by those big companies. I wonder if they are inoculating with anything? I have not seen any small time cigar making process do anything like that. But they are not working with cannabinoids.

Strange stuff..... Sorry to ramble.. :lot-o-toke::love::love::love:

Highya CF,

I think you're talking about LactoBacillus Serum. It's the bacteria that ferments all those things you mentioned. That would help the cobs ferment/cure more completely. Might be a little strong. Can't know without the experiment, though. Someone else will be along soon.

Hi, hope someone can offer me some advice.

I just cobbed two half oz and two single oz as a first try. In the water bath at 40c for 24 hours the two half oz ones got soaked as the bag sprung a leak.

Has anyone had this problem and what should be my next action? Shall I just dry it our ASAP and pray?

Thanks in advance and thanks all for an amazing thread.

Yes, I was just using EM-1 as an example. I don't know the names of the microorganisms that are used to facilitate fermentation in traditional products like Kim-chi, Sauerkraut, Beer, Chicha, Kefir, Natto, Miso, etc...

But since there is fermentation going on in the cob, I thought why not use an inoculant that has been proven in the past?

If I ever get around to cobbing, I'll look into some kind of inoculant as well. I have some Durban in the pipeline I wouldn't mind trying with first.

Has anyone done a close up macro shot of the cobbed buds? I'm curious to see what is going on with the resin glands. Are they intact and normal looking or are they ruptured?
Hey there CannaFish, with sauerkraut, Kim-chi, etc... those use the natural bacteria to ferment the cabbage. Now the beer is started with yeast, and Kefir with "grains" that I think are bacteria and yeast clumped together. They all ferment great with no additions!
I can see how you'd want to experiment, and by all means please do! I would be quite interested to read what happens. But Cannabis also has all the natural bacteria it needs to ferment, I would think with adding in something it may make it break down too far too fast... or give an unwanted result... but hey, only one way to find out!!

Thank you for your creative thinking, you made me stop and think about this for a bit.

Hi, hope someone can offer me some advice.

I just cobbed two half oz and two single oz as a first try. In the water bath at 40c for 24 hours the two half oz ones got soaked as the bag sprung a leak.

Has anyone had this problem and what should be my next action? Shall I just dry it our ASAP and pray?

Thanks in advance and thanks all for an amazing thread.
Hi my friend during the sweating process the buds can get very wet. So just dry the buds as you would normally hang them or use a dehydrator on low temps as you dont want to over dry them.
It wouldn't phase me at all water is not a problem.
Then start again it should not cause any problems just dry them slowly so you retain some internal moisture in the buds to enable them to sweat and cure as normal.

Back
Top Bottom