Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Looks amazing brother. I’m curious about that Mulanje and how it grows. Do you have any photos of the whole plant?
Just happen to have a few shots ha ha.
I get 2 pheno's one Christmas tree shaped and one big central cola type both produce sticky buds.
The two at the front left and right are Mulanje the left hand side was harvested one week before the right hand side plant.
The last pic is the right hand side plant centralized under the lights after the removal of the left hand plant.
The plants at the rear are 2 weeks behind having been planted 2 weeks later and are a cross of Aces Malawi/Ethiopian pollinated by a Mulanje male and are stunning in their aroma and very racy high's
These plants have all been on 10/14 lights since birth currently finishing on 8/16 to keep them under 1mtr high as thats all the headroom I have.

img_0398-web.jpg
img_0457-web.jpg
img_0421-web.jpg
img_0517-web.jpg
img_2192-web.jpg

How long did that Mulanje go from seed? At what point did you switch to 8/16?
I have a diary on ic forum but the seeds of the Mulanje were planted first week of May.
First sign of pistils were first week of June the single cola plant was harvested after 10 weeks of flower and the other Christmas tree pheno at 11 weeks of flowering. plus 3 weeks from seed so around 4 months from seed to harvest give or take a week.
They usually go 12 to 14 weeks on 12/12 reducing to 10/14 for the last 4 weeks.
But this time I started them on 10/14 at seed, first sign of flowers 9/15 for 4 weeks then 8/16 till harvest.
I have 2 x 240w samsung led panels just cheap chinese knock off's from Alibaba about $150 US each.
I just harvested the two rear hybrids at 10 weeks actual flowering.
I put the fast result down to the shorter light schedule the plants start real quick and panic into faster flowering.
I still managed a decent result, of course flowering 12/12 and 10/14 gives a few ounces more but I dont need heaps I have too many cobs as it is.

Thanks brother a fellow space cadet I'm very impressed.
Jamaican would be well suited to this cure any pics?
:smokin:Alas, no photos possible now, I ate and smoked the last of the Lamb's breath cob last night and this morning! I agree, that the Jamaican was well suited for cob! Mild and easy smoking, with a pleasant taste and mild pleasing aroma, but just as nice eaten for the medicinal effects and that feeling of well being! My RA pain is tolerated and or relieved better by Good cob(and topical cannabis products) than any pharmaceutical! Best is , I can still function. interact and live without distress! God Blessed Us with cannabis and cobs are a wonderful way to enhance and store that herbal medicine! I do not have anything going right now, due to some other health issues(four eye surgeries this year), but hope too, soon! I have a couple of chunks of Jack Herrer and White Widow left:). The Jack is a bit weaker than the Lamb's Breath, but good! and the WW is best at bedtime! The cobs have kept me supplied with medicine this year when I could not replenish my cannabis meds! My first fermented superweed, was fermented Thai sticks in 1970, I think. Then Columbian, ferment cured in about,73. Both were real good(Thai, the better). The Cobs excellent storage and other properties, are where it's at for me!:yummy:

Hey @tangwena, I am soon to try a bean order and I want to pick some up that are great that would also grow reasonable at my location of around 37°S. You used to be very taken with Honduras x Panama, Golden Tiger, and Zamaldelica. More recently I notice you are growing Mulanje. Can I ask what are your current top favourite varieties to Cob? Many thanks.

Hey @tangwena, I am soon to try a bean order and I want to pick some up that are great that would also grow reasonable at my location of around 37°S. You used to be very taken with Honduras x Panama, Golden Tiger, and Zamaldelica. More recently I notice you are growing Mulanje. Can I ask what are your current top favourite varieties to Cob? Many thanks.
Those 3 from Ace def are very good and I love them still.
The Mulanje is just as strong but has a unique high that reminds me of my youth in Africa, but just about any really strong good quality sativa type would be good it just depends on your taste.
Pm me if you would like a few beans of the Mulanje and Malawi Ethiopian crosses they are killer.
The high is very positive no paranoia just overconfidence and completely stoned couldn't give a f--k kind of attitude thats why I love it so much, real Zulu warrior fearless kind of high a real ego trip chewed at least.

Since my first buzz at the age of 22 I've been searching for an elusive euphoric experience, one that connected me to a deeper awareness, insight, and hallucinatory inspiration one might more often attribute to ceremony than recreation. After years of dreaming, and following three years of learning to grow my own cannabis, I've danced around the edges of my dream, but so far the Dark Devil Auto was the closest thing to otherworldliness I'd come across.

There was a singular moment in my youth where I was transported by the after effects of Columbian Gold, which memory may or may not be influenced by the hunky tennis player that shared that experience with me. Just in case he wasn't the cause of the memories being so......delicious, I'll be growing a Columbian Gold this year. A girl has to know. :battingeyelashes:

I'll be cobbing that eventual harvest.

"Cobbing?" you inquire. "What is cobbing?"

I'm so glad you asked. :slide:

Well, it turns out someone has worked to perfect a method of curing that he believes closes replicates the cobbed buds he grew up appreciating in Africa. Tangwena was frustrated for years at the inferior quality of the euphoric experience with western-style drying techniques. For decades he devoted himself to the process of replicating the flavors and euphoric effects he remembered from his earlier years, but using safer methods.

In Africa the buds were cobbed and buried for fermentation, creating magical alchemy that transformed good bud into intense bud. Be forewarned, this is not cannabis you want to smoke as a newbie. At least not alone. Lol! Burying your cannabis can be problamatic from a sanitary perspective, particularly in the control of microorganisms that promote mold. Tangwena overcame that problem with vacuum sealing, and then he worked out a timeframe that gets the buds fermented and ready to cure in less than two weeks from harvest.

Vacuum seal the finished buds and let it cure for three months and you'll have an end product that will change how you think of your cannabis. From reading their accounts you'll change that perspective when they first come out of the cob after a week or so fermenting. :slide:

His thread is titled "Malawi style cob curing." When you've achieved success with this technique you're going to want to thank him. It'd be a nice gesture to stop by and pay your respects. If you don't want to bother with a membership to do so you can let me know and I'll pass it on. I think he and I are going to be talking about this technique for many years.

Do yourself a favor, go to his thread and read his accounts of the euphoria. Come back ready to play. :battingeyelashes:

Tangwena's thread's been up for years and runs nearly 250 pages. They welcomed me with open arms, thrilled to share what they learned as a team, and even reworked the flow chart fellow member repuk developed to reflect current knowledge. In a nutshell, this is our process. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I know, impressed the hell out of me too. :circle-of-love:

I want to do this. I'm going to do this. It's so much more fun to take these adventures with friends. Want to play? Ok, let's learn to ferment our cannabis together.

I'm just starting the process myself. I'm being a bit more casual with this thread than others I've started because I don't want to wait until I'm all ready. I want to start while I'm in process, let you guys jump in and add information as we go. I'll be harvesting my Malawi in the morning, and the plant needs to hang to get to around 80% RH before I cob any. That'll take between 1 to 3 days. As Tangwena describes it "the sugar leaves should be limp, but not brittle." He likes to think the buds are still alive when he cobs them, and talks sweetly to the buds as he compresses their sweetness into a cigar-shaped bundle of future joy.

Supplies:
* You'll need something to wrap the buds in. The best wrapper appears to be corn husks. I got mine from the rain forest, but you can find them in many stores for wrapping tamales. Alternatively, Tangwena suggested construction-weight paper bags. They'll withstand the abuse better than thinner bags. The corn husks create more surface area with their grooves. Tangwena says he swears by the sweeter taste created by the husks.

* The best cobs hold 1.5 - 2 ounces of buds, at somewhere around 80% RH

* A vacuum sealer system eliminates the threat of mold. You're going to squeeze them snugly.

* The process begins with a 24 - hour sweating step, maintaining the cobs at 40 C/104 F. There are many ways to achieve this, some of which repuk suggested on his chart. I'll be using a seed-starting heat pad with an inverted container under the insulating weight of a couple towels. Simplicity and frugality rolled into one.

There were some good pointers I found in just the first 10% of Tangwena's thread.

Aaaaand I just realized they got deleted. Lol! I'll go back over the material tonight and tomorrow and add it into this thread. I'll get the process worked up with details. They're aware that we're building on their experience and heartily encourage us to create a flow between the communities.

Tangwena's intention is to share this wonderful gift of knowledge with the world, to change the hearts and minds of cannabis enthusiasts, one cob at a time. I'm honored, as an unofficial ambassador of :420: to bring the knowledge back to my friends.

I think we're going to look back on this day warmly as the start of something wonderful. Can't you feel it? :yahoo:

Ok, who's in?
Waw this is great! Thank you.

Those 3 from Ace def are very good and I love them still.
The Mulanje is just as strong but has a unique high that reminds me of my youth in Africa, but just about any really strong good quality sativa type would be good it just depends on your taste.
Pm me if you would like a few beans of the Mulanje and Malawi Ethiopian crosses they are killer.
The high is very positive no paranoia just overconfidence and completely stoned couldn't give a f--k kind of attitude thats why I love it so much, real Zulu warrior fearless kind of high a real ego trip chewed at least.
Sent you a pm but looks like I found my answer. If I may ask where do you find these strains for sale? I will definitely get started looking for them.

NTH

Sent you a pm but looks like I found my answer. If I may ask where do you find these strains for sale? I will definitely get started looking for them.

NTH
I'm on holiday at a remote fishing camp until the start of October, if you cant find any before then pm me again and I will point you in the right direction.
But Ace have most of them and Mulanje is sold by a Canadian company I forget the name, they are old original stock and are $20 a pack they usually give you 2 for 1 as they are old and germ rates are around 40% now, but good genetics all the same.

Quick question on wrapping the cob. How tight does one wrap them up? My last cob I wrapped up in a plastic wrap very tightly using fishing line (I got blisters from pulling the line so hard). The cobs turned out well and they are 2 months old. I have a plant now I would like to cob but don't want the blisters......

Quick question on wrapping the cob. How tight does one wrap them up? My last cob I wrapped up in a plastic wrap very tightly using fishing line (I got blisters from pulling the line so hard). The cobs turned out well and they are 2 months old. I have a plant now I would like to cob but don't want the blisters......
She has been hanging for 3 days now time to cob her?

DSC_0001 (3).JPG

She has been hanging for 3 days now time to cob her?

DSC_0001 (3).JPG
Im so looking forward to the answers to your questions. I have a plant (not as pretty as yours) that I want to cob. I had to harvest it a little early. But she’s hanging also like yours.

NTH

Back
Top Bottom