Tangwena's Malawi-Style Cob Cure: Fermented Cannabis

Looks good Drifter, you'll probably have a way to go yet though eh.
I've currently got a Malawi cross in her 19th week, if the weather permits I'll look to keep her going for another couple of weeks or so.
@Drifter333 - Yeah, it does look as if it has a good while to go, how many more weeks of flower did it turn out to be, 3 or 4 would be my guess?
@Stunger - Thanx for liking my posts..

Some shots of the buds from the Mulanje x Malawi Ethiopian cross.
Cant wait to test these.

img_0760 (2)-web.jpg
img_0776-web.jpg
IMG_0840.JPG
Hi, Tangwena.

When you have some free time, between fishing and cob...: What differences between the type of psychoactivity and potency did you observe between Malawi x Ethiopia (A.C.E.) and your later cross with Mulanje (?) ? Have you been able to try Ethiopia? And what are you growing right now in your almost summer? Best regards and remember to greet my cousins and my adoptive cousin Hombre del Monte.

Ok I am not a cob expert but have been making cobs out of my buds for a few years now and have got to the point of probably turning all future buds into cobs. My last cobs from a summer grow turned out well and I did a twist on my cobing. I used my Sushi roller to tighten the buds up as usual but used a plastic wrap on the roller to hold the buds together and as I roll them the plastic wrap holds them in tighter. Then put them in a vacuum pack bag and suck out the air. Then on to processing/sweeting and checking them every couple of days. No string to wrap them at all. When I have cured them for 3 months they go into the freezer. Took out some AK47 from a couple of years ago and pretty impressed. I grew a plant this summer that I got about 23 oz from of mediocre quality big buds but poor quality however the cobs look good and the loos cured buds I am giving away......Cobs rule

Ok I am not a cob expert but have been making cobs out of my buds for a few years now and have got to the point of probably turning all future buds into cobs. My last cobs from a summer grow turned out well and I did a twist on my cobing. I used my Sushi roller to tighten the buds up as usual but used a plastic wrap on the roller to hold the buds together and as I roll them the plastic wrap holds them in tighter. Then put them in a vacuum pack bag and suck out the air. Then on to processing/sweeting and checking them every couple of days. No string to wrap them at all. When I have cured them for 3 months they go into the freezer. Took out some AK47 from a couple of years ago and pretty impressed. I grew a plant this summer that I got about 23 oz from of mediocre quality big buds but poor quality however the cobs look good and the loos cured buds I am giving away......Cobs rule
That is how many of us have been doing that. I sometimes still include the corn shucks during the initial cure, but use the vacuum sealer instead of strings. I am not sure , but feel the shucks help the fermentation to start up and provides some moisture absorbing qualities. I remove the shucks after a few days and continue the vacuum sealing. Have some curing from a home grown cross right now that is predominate sativa, that are smelling nice the last check and curing up well, that were done that way. I may do it with or without the shucks. Always nice, either way. I originally did the ties and all, but took a short cut like others have done.

I will hopefully make some cobs from my current grow. When I made some a couple of years ago I also used a sushi roller that I felt was really helpful in compressing the cob into shape. I wrapped them in baking paper and tied them up before vacuum sealing. I think with the vacuum sealer that actually tying the cob wouldn't matter, I just did it because that was part of the tradition.

But as I get older I feel I need to move from 'lung delivery' to edibles, either cobs or oil or tincture.

Hi, Tangwena.

When you have some free time, between fishing and cob...: What differences between the type of psychoactivity and potency did you observe between Malawi x Ethiopia (A.C.E.) and your later cross with Mulanje (?) ? Have you been able to try Ethiopia? And what are you growing right now in your almost summer? Best regards and remember to greet my cousins and my adoptive cousin Hombre del Monte.
Hi my friend lucky i saw this post as these days i just drop in to check out Stungers balcony grow.

To answer your question I have not grown Ethiopian straight but I would def love to one day.
The cross of Mulanje with Malawi/Ethiopia is straight up euphoria I will be doing a pheno hunt very soon on this cross.

The Malawi/Ethiopia is a great energetic driven high which I love.
I got 2 phenos from the cross one leaning towards the Malawi side and one lime green that was more Ethiopian/Mulanje and its the best high for me total loosing control mentally and physically my kind of high ha ha.

I am also doing a hunt through Mulanje Gold seeds donated by the owner of green mountain seeds and using some to cross to my own Mulanje seeds.
The Mulanje high is unique to me and adds a trippy other worldly effect to the Malawi/Ethiopia that I cant get enough of ha ha.
Currently I am growing some Santa Marta Gold x Demon Latcher and some Acapulco Gold gifted from a good friend in California.
When I harvest them at the end of the month I will post pictures of the grow and the buds before I cure them.

Since I haven't grown in over a year I've been digging into my old stock of whatever I have left and have been smoking some cobs I made 3 years ago. The smoke is smooth and the taste is like fresh bud still. Some of these cobs were fresh out of the sealed packages, some have been "air drying" in containers that get opened once or twice a week. I'm gonna be moving into my own house in a couple months so I'll be starting back up again! Looking forward to sharing my results!

I have just had some fun making cobs from a Mulanje cross.

The bud is very strong, and I feel confident that it will be great for cobs.

This time for cob making I had the house to myself so for the 'sweat' stage I put them directly in the oven at 40C for 24 hours which removed the uncertainty I had last time when for the 'sweat' stage I immersed them in a pot of finger tolerant water which every few hours I refreshed with some more hot water.

After 24 hours of 'sweating' I opened the bags and removed the baking paper and twine. They were damp but with no visible condensation and smelt terpy/funky. So I just re vac-sealed them again without wrapping so I can observe their progress from this point.

Last time for the ferment stage I wrapped them in cotton and left them on top of the stereo amplifier which measured roughly 28C at the surface, butI was never sure just how comprehensive it's surface heat was on the cobs, and whether it was permeating through them enough.

So this time I have gone 'tribal' and wrapped the vac-sealed cobs in a couple of plastic bags and then closed them in some wire mesh against rodents and then buried them in my compost bin. I even timed it by mowing the lawn a couple of days ago, so the fresh mown grass and leaves is going to heat up. I put my hand in today to check that there is heat and it is a really nice 'cosy' temperature.

Currently my intention is to leave them buried until next week some time and then I will dig them out for an inspection and maybe even a re-burial. It is exciting making cobs.

Any comments welcome as I don't want to screw up at this point!

sorry @Stunger i can"t help out , i"ll be happy to just follow in your foot steps ,i was considering doing a traditional cobing but when i read about the processes i had second thoughts , anyway there are"nt enough goats in my area , but there are lots of cats & dogs mmmm not the same is it ? 🤔;), looking good so far bro , your a pro... take care & peace to all :peace:

sorry @Stunger i can"t help out , i"ll be happy to just follow in your foot steps ,i was considering doing a traditional cobing but when i read about the processes i had second thoughts , anyway there are"nt enough goats in my area , but there are lots of cats & dogs mmmm not the same is it ? 🤔;), looking good so far bro , your a pro... take care & peace to all :peace:
Hey Uncle, I don't think it is necessary to have goats and composting piles to bury them. I think most folks use things like rice cookers and the like, but because that's all kitchen stuff and my missus won't like it if I use them, like my growing I am trying keep my cob making under the radar so my child is none the wiser. No not a pro man, I'm just trying to stand on the shoulders of others like @tangwena who has shone a bright light on this for us. Cheers!

Very interesting my friend no reason it wont work only caveat being the Malawian cobs are wrapped in either corn husk or banana leaves.
Not sure how that would effect the cure in the compost heap compared to a plastic bag it will be very interesting to see what happens.
There is presumably some swapping of 'juices' when traditional husk wrapped cobs are put in a goat excrement pile. At this point I still want to stay with vac-sealing because I can be confident that sufficient air is taken out to ensure no mould occurs, and also to view the raw cob without opening when deciding on how it's progressing.

Because temps are cooling here, if I left them on the stereo amp, I would wonder if they would heat all the way thru or remain colder on top. Putting them in the compost bin is solely for the nice even heat that it produces, that way I have no doubt that the cobs are surrounded by nice warm fermenting conditions (hopefully).

And besides, my compost bin has chicken droppings in it as well, as much as I love the birds I don't really want their waste in my mouth when I chew a bit of cob, haha.

I may try my compost pile next time. I often, use corn shucks and vacuum bags, usually under a plastic humidity dome over a heat mat with a thermostat control and a digital temp backup to check the air temp under the dome. My compost is steaming hot in the center but I will find a sweet spot.

hey @Stunger if your not a pro then your definitely an inspiration , yes tangwena shines the light , but im following in your foot steps if i may ? :peace:
Hey many thanks Uncle, but this is only my second time making a batch of cobs. I'm just trying to post my attempts of cob making and show the approach that I am taking (or trying to follow) for anyone interested in it, because initially for me it was a big leap of faith, and it was very 'steadying' having other people's experience to lean on. Tangwena and those experienced are able to spot things from the pics and give feedback, which is super useful and appreciated.

Each day I have put my hand into the compost and found the temp around cobs to a real nice suffused warmth, I know it is penetrating and enclosing them fully, as I was not fully confident of that occurring with resting on the stereo. At this point if the temperature stays like it is, I'll remove them after 7-10 days for an inspection and all going well I'll either return them to the compost for another 7-10 days and check again, or if the compost has gone cold I'll put them on the stereo for 2-4 weeks. Then re vac-seal them for a curing period. My understanding is that it is best waiting 3 months before first use and ideally a year, where they are often noted to get better with age from that point!

If you look at the steps required, each is actually pretty straight forward and before you know it you have made a cob!

Back
Top Bottom